Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

The mass transit from down there will likely be untenable, but you never know. They are rerouting the bus through our area (Villages of Western Oaks) and they might be doing similar re-routes for other areas, as well. I wouldn't put too much stock in existing (or future) bus options. If you do work directly downtown, it might end up being an option, though. I work slightly south of downtown and my only bus option is basically an hour and half plus a long walk vs. a 20 minute drive.

The construction on MoPac is going full-out and I am impressed by the rate of progress. The scheduled completion is 'early 2021', but my understanding is that they are currently slightly ahead of schedule. In any case, it is at least two years and more likely three before it is 'finished'. The SH45 extension to 1626 is supposed to be completed next year and appears (totally based on my visual observation ) to be on track.

The end result of those projects may actually be a noticeable increase in traffic north of Slaughter and an increase in commute time. Maybe not, I am not a traffic engineer, but only time will tell. The currently popular route of Escarpment > Wm Cannon > 290 > MoPac is actually much less stressful if only minimally faster. As a negative side effect of the current construction, there has been a significant increase in traffic on Escarpment. Going home the other day I observed a new 'record' - a car was clocked by the radar sign at 64 mph heading south toward Davis (that is a 40 mph zone). Davis has had some revisions to the exit from MoPac as well (continuous flow to westbound Davis from southbound MoPac) which has encourage the use of Escarpment.

The school travel would be the biggest negative to me. Kiker is closed to transfers, but Clayton is not (for the upcoming year). Also, Mills is not currently closed and would (imho) be a much more pleasant process than Baranoff. Gorzycki is also currently open for transfers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:22 PM

24 posts, read 65,718 times
Thank you, Train Wreck (I like the way that sounds....). I hear you on the mass transit. I spoke with someone from CapMetro a few months ago who told me that SW Austin will never develop as much as the north due to the Aquafiers/green spaces. I think that is a pro or a con depending on what you want (for us, it's a pro).

As a result, I don't think mass transit will develop as fully down there. I do want to at least try it. If I am sitting for 45 minutes to an hour, if I can work while I'm sitting on a bus, it might be better than driving. That said, it depends on the bus. I have heard that the busses from areas like Cedar Park are quite nice. There were some NJ Transit commutes that were standing room only, absurdly packed, AC not working, etc which would make that a bit harder....

Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2 View Post
Thank you, Train Wreck (I like the way that sounds....). I hear you on the mass transit. I spoke with someone from CapMetro a few months ago who told me that SW Austin will never develop as much as the north due to the Aquafiers/green spaces. I think that is a pro or a con depending on what you want (for us, it's a pro).

As a result, I don't think mass transit will develop as fully down there. I do want to at least try it. If I am sitting for 45 minutes to an hour, if I can work while I'm sitting on a bus, it might be better than driving. That said, it depends on the bus. I have heard that the busses from areas like Cedar Park are quite nice. There were some NJ Transit commutes that were standing room only, absurdly packed, AC not working, etc which would make that a bit harder....
The Oak Hill Park and Ride looks very 'doable' if you work downtown and doesn't appear to be overly full (although I have never ridden it). It would be a bit of a drive just to get there, though - looks to be about 15 minutes at 7:30 in the morning. To 7th and Colorado is about 25 minutes on the bus.

https://capmetro.org/schedmap/?svc=0&f1=171&s=0&d=N

Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM

Thank you! I feel compelled once again to point out that I am getting bus information from a person called Train Wreck. Seems potentially biased

I am going to play with commuting options, and will check that out. I am guessing I will ultimately probably most often drive, but I like the option for mass transit.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 AM

390 posts, read 671,376 times
My husband will occasionally take the bus to work from Circle C. He gets on at the first stop so he doesn't have a problem getting a seat. I think there is wifi on the buses and I've never heard of the AC working. As far as I know, it's a comfortable ride. People will leave their cars on the side street near the stop. The issue he has with the bus, and probably the reason he doesn't use it more frequently, is that it only runs a couple of times in the morning and evening. If you have very regular and specific work hours, it's a nice option, but not convenient at all if you work outside of a 9-5 schedule.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
My husband will occasionally take the bus to work from Circle C. He gets on at the first stop so he doesn't have a problem getting a seat. I think there is wifi on the buses and I've never heard of the AC working. As far as I know, it's a comfortable ride. People will leave their cars on the side street near the stop. The issue he has with the bus, and probably the reason he doesn't use it more frequently, is that it only runs a couple of times in the morning and evening. If you have very regular and specific work hours, it's a nice option, but not convenient at all if you work outside of a 9-5 schedule.
Gotcha, and I hear you on that. That is the same reason I haven't really investigated van pools. My calendar is presently very nutty.

That is one reason I am wondering driving to a park and ride with a route that runs more frequently might be worth trying. I like the idea of just going to the stop and knowing a next bus will come by in, say, 15 minutes vs. trying to make a specific time. Sort of like a subway or metro. When I was looking to the North, I thought the Lakeline station might effectively be like that. Get there and hop on the next bus or train to depart that morning.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Another Western Oaks resident here. I would not underestimate how frustrating the incremental commuting gap between Avana will be compared to the Davis/Mopac access point. Also, if you live in Western Oaks, you would attent Mills, just up Davis Lane, very bikeable with crossing guards on patrol at Davis/Escarpment, and then Goryscky middle is also bikeable through Circle C North.

I recently decided to massively update my year 2000-built home in Western Oaks. It's better quality and design now than anything I could have bought in Avana. And everything I see, touchs, use and walk on is brand new.

The 1990s/2000s production builder homes north of Slaughter Ln in Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, and Circle C north are easy $25K-$80K cosmetic redos, and you get massive walkability advantages. You can walk/bike to the elementary and middle schools, Escarpment Village, starbucks, Waterloo, Satellite Cafe as well as the other places at Slaughter/Beckett, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Alamo Draft House, NXNW, TCBY, a pizza place, a burger joint, etc. Also just a few minutes drive to the really excellent HEB or the Whole Foods, Costco shopping center.

To me, having poked around in Avana and even talked a client out of buying there because, to me, it's completely devoid of everything awesome and convenient about living in the 78749 zipcode of SW Austin. Might as well keep going on to west Buda and spend $50K less on a new home (or a newer resale) because you won't be able to walk to anything (other than the future elementary) and the commute will ultimately only be about 7 minutes less than those living in west Buda near 1626. Plus the eventual overpass and ultimate expansion of 45 to include elevated bridges at Escarpment means traffic noise will be ever present those close to 45.

If you live in Avana, you have to get into your car for 90% of the things you might want to do. If you live in 78749, you can walk to 90% of things you might want to do, provided a 30-40 minute walk is no biggie. And you shoot over to Davis/Mopac to head north compared to coming from way down at 45.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM

I hear ya, and good points. My intuition is we will wind up somewhere in between....

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 16,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Another Western Oaks resident here. I would not underestimate how frustrating the incremental commuting gap between Avana will be compared to the Davis/Mopac access point.
There is definitely additional commuting time however it will significantly be reduced once the Mopac Intersections project is completed. As one would be able to turn on to TX-45, hop onto Mopac, and bypass Lacrosse and Slaughter lane. There is no telling if there will be traffic this far south with the new 45 toll road opening, I imagine there will be before the intersections project is completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin