Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 06:38 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

After my elderly mother was mugged & injured by one of your unfortunates, my simpathy for that demographic seems to have been in short supply.

Lot of high horses around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 07:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
It’s a good thing I’m way younger and in way better health than the simpletons in this thread. The saving grace for these issues will be the fact that they’ll die off and people capable of independent and complex thought will be able to devise plans statewide for dealing with this issue. It really can’t be handled on the local level, or you create magnets that result in NIMBY scumbags dumping their problems on others.

I’d be willing to bet thousands of dollars that none of the people bemoaning the homeless problem in this thread can provide any documented instance that they’ve tried to do anything at all about the problem. If all you do is complain about something, that just makes you a *****.

The best program I ever participated in for helping the homeless was in Austin years ago. An old apartment building was fixed up. Homeless people and families (depending on size of apartments) could live in them for six months. During that six months, the cost of the apartment was to participate in programs for training in marketable skills, interview techniques, clothing suitable for interviews and work was donated, the children went to school and had a place to do homework other than a car or the streets, medical issues that might have contributed to the homeless situation were dealt with. At the end of the six months they were helped to find a place to live and move on with their lives and another homeless person/family would move into the apartment. They were active participants in this, not recipients of welfare. My participation involved both donation of work clothing and training them in word processing.

I don't know what became of that program as we moved. However, just yesterday I was reading about a similar program in this area and will be looking into it and possibly getting involved in it (I am lousy at staying on the Just Say No to Volunteering wagon). I like it because it is helping them to help themselves and that does more to address the real problem than anything else I've seen.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:23 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The best program I ever participated in for helping the homeless was in Austin years ago. An old apartment building was fixed up. Homeless people and families (depending on size of apartments) could live in them for six months. During that six months, the cost of the apartment was to participate in programs for training in marketable skills, interview techniques, clothing suitable for interviews and work was donated, the children went to school and had a place to do homework other than a car or the streets, medical issues that might have contributed to the homeless situation were dealt with. At the end of the six months they were helped to find a place to live and move on with their lives and another homeless person/family would move into the apartment. They were active participants in this, not recipients of welfare. My participation involved both donation of work clothing and training them in word processing.

I don't know what became of that program as we moved. However, just yesterday I was reading about a similar program in this area and will be looking into it and possibly getting involved in it (I am lousy at staying on the Just Say No to Volunteering wagon). I like it because it is helping them to help themselves and that does more to address the real problem than anything else I've seen.
There are a few of these programs. I’ve done a bunch of work with these groups in addiction counseling and interview skills.

Sadly, the wait lists are years long. There’s just never enough capacity because of cities shuttling their problems into Austin. I’d say a solid 50% of the men and women that I’ve talked to ended up in Austin after being “relocated”.

It’s going to take a statewide approach on mental health, addiction services, enforcement of Panhandling laws and support services. With an organized approach, those that really do just need a hand up will be easily separated from those looking for a hand out.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
After my elderly mother was mugged & injured by one of your unfortunates, my simpathy for that demographic seems to have been in short supply.

Lot of high horses around here.
Perhaps if you hadn’t sent them near her house and removed access to services to actually fix the problem, it wouldn’t have happened.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissor_chavez View Post
The solution to homelessness is cheap housign. Jarrell (and all of Bell County) has a lot of that.

THL, woudl you agree that we shoudl send them north, were it would be less expensive to provide housing and services?

I would agree that I am hearing the tippy tap of little goat hooves in at least some of your posts.

The program I recently heard about that I mentioned was in Georgetown, by the way, not Austin. This is not an Austin problem, this is a state-wide (well, actually, nation-wide) problem and needs to be addressed that way, by addressing the sources of the problem, not the symptom. Wherever that might be.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Perhaps if you hadn’t sent them near her house and removed access to services to actually fix the problem, it wouldn’t have happened.
Walking on a public street while shopping nowhere near her house.
But you have no knowledge of my personal contributions towards the homeless & needy. Nor do I feel the need to toot my horn about it.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:47 PM

283 posts, read 255,265 times
My original post was about squeegee guys, not necessarily the homeless. I'm not convinced that they are one and the same.

A good portion of these people who hang out on the corners panhandling or squeegee-ing don't appear to be homeless to me. There's a few I recognize that I've seen at various spots for many years now.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Dude.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissor_chavez View Post
Better to ship them to Austin from places like Georgetown. Just ask Haruka Weiser's parents.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/ut-m...cer/1049681838
That's a silly answer and low. Poor girl was murdered and your using that to make a senseless point. Her killer had mental issues, so you know he was homeless too? Shipping folks around is a good thing?

Why even post that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin