Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:22 PM

36 posts, read 62,109 times

Advertisements

Hello..
Yesterday we had a neighbor who said the following.."Just wanted to let you know that l have bad news. We may be buying a pop-up camper and will store it on the side of the property.".. The reason she said "bad news"..is that they already store a little John boat and 4x4 trailer on the side of the house. Both are eyesores. When politely asked if there was another solution about the two previous items, they said they store them there cause they don't want to see the items themselves. Now...they want to put the pop-up trailer in the side of the house. How neighborly! ��

1)Neither house has a wood fence. It is an open property line between the houses in the area they want to put the trailer. She said they can put it there, as it is a Pop Up. Is this correct? This is a non HOA area.

2)Two..l have a suspicion that they will have to slightly drive on our property in order to park it. I am thinking of installing a partial 2-3 ft high ornamental fence to keep them from doing so.

3)Open to possible ideas of how to handle the situation. We are tired of them knowingly using the area to dump items in full view on our side...but they themselves do not see

4)Any code information very welcomed..either way.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
where do you live? (what city?) do you have an hoa?

If not, the COA restrictions are they need to be screened from view by a 6 ft fence. If you can see it from your property, then it likely needs to be screened from view from your house and from the street.

Here is the actual code 25-2-893
https://library.municode.com/tx/aust...-893ACUSPRREUS

Quote:
Up to two vehicles that are either antique or recreational vehicles may be stored on the premises, if the storage area is not a health hazard and is either in an enclosed building or screened from public view with a solid wood or masonry fence at least six feet high.
There are historical examples like this one

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/pio....cfm?id=216586

Here is one where the RV owner won
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/man-w...ence-around-rv

There was another case where the RV owner put up a fence and then painted something even worse on the fence.

I would not let them drive on my property, but who cares about an "eyesore"

Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM

Thanks for response,
For clarification in post:

1)Property is in Austin TX
2)Non HOA
3)Many people care about eyesores,
I understand some don't.. but most do to some extent or another. Either way, trying to comprehend the code to the specific situation. Thank you.

Thanks for the links..but all the info seems to be for vehicles with motors..unless l missed something reading through it(quite possible.)

Specifically trying to learn about a "pop-up" camper/trailer being parked in visible space. Thank you.

Last edited by Brian and Amanda; 12-16-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 03:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
If they said it was because they don't want to see them, did you ask them why they think YOU want to see them if they don't, and how they justify that?

I think the fence is a good idea.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Amanda View Post
Thanks for response,
For clarification in post:

1)Property is in Austin TX
2)Non HOA
3)Many people care about eyesores,
I understand some don't.. but most do to some extent or another. Either way, trying to comprehend the code to the specific situation. Thank you.

Thanks for the links..but all the info seems to be for vehicles with motors..unless l missed something reading through it(quite possible.)

Specifically trying to learn about a "pop-up" camper/trailer being parked in visible space. Thank you.
how about doing some of your own research?

I found the answer in about 30 seconds, but since you were testy, Ill leave it to you to discover it.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Everyone hates on an HOA. Until they need more rules.

What they’re doing I perfectly legal and I applaud them for it.

Don’t want to see the stuff on somebody else’s property? Build your own fence.

Want to tell someone what they can do with their property? Move to an HOA.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:39 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I would put in a 5 ft high wood fence as I would not want to look at their crap. This is why I live in an HOA community. I dislike junk being left outside, people buy things they don't use very often but leave it in plain sight. Just my opinion but why have a beautiful home if ts surrounded by junk.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
how about doing some of your own research?

I found the answer in about 30 seconds, but since you were testy, Ill leave it to you to discover it.

The OP does not seem to be the testy one in this exchange.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:09 AM

@TexasHorseLady

Thank you..l didn't think l was testy either.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
wait didn't you post a topic in which you wanted to put a potential eyesore (an RV/bus or something) on your own property? if so, then you can't have it both ways - reap the benefits of not having an HOA but yet wanting some type of restriction for your neighbors. Shrubbery and fencing are your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin