Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:25 PM

221 posts, read 203,809 times

Advertisements

Search restaurants by name and add ‘nutrition’ in the search. Many places will list carbs, calories, fat, sodium, etc. for menu items by serving size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 07:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think the doctors are wrong. The fat = cholesterol idea has been disproven.

The key is to drop carbs. In fact the balance of fat and protein is what keeps you full.
This is totally wrong. The metrics that my doctors polls (cholesterol, lipids, blood pressure, etc...) all indicate what to eat.

He states that it's simple math. Consume less calories than you require and you lose weight. Too much animal fat is really bad. You can get similar "fullness" from avocados or healthy fatty oils from produce.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
To be more serious, for TexMex try flautas. Plenty of flavor, not as much fat.

For 'cue, it's not 'cue if it's not beef or pork and I agree with above, lean brisket is roast beef. Pork ribs, maybe?
I'm not a big fan of flautas/toquitos. But I absolutely love enchiladas. I also like tamales but only around Christmas time.

I'm trying to stay away from pork for the most part. I guess maybe I'll stick to turkey or chicken. I eat mostly fish, a legacy of my Louisiana heritage, I just have to hold the Meuniere sauce. I get the fish blackened not fried and skip the rich sauces although they are so yummy (sometimes I'll get them on the side so I can dip a few pieces of the fish).

Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why not go for Taco Salads? I usually get a taco salad with all the extra yummy stuff on top. My favorite (I know...don't shoot me) is Taco Cabana's Cabana bowl. You can pick and choose what you want on it. I eat primarily whole 30 so I just toss the shell, say no beans and then plead ignorance on the other ingredients (whoops).
Some taco salads are yummy but I like the texture/flavor of enchiladas. So trying to figure out the best sauce. I'm thinking the verde sauce is probably the best for you and the sour cream the worst.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
To me, lean brisket is just roast beef...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Personally, I prefer the coleslaw as a side.
I wish Rudy's had the pulled pork withOUT sauce...WAY too much sauce on that.
I can't think there is too much sugar in the (table)sauce at Rudy's...it's too peppery for me.
If anyone is sodium sensitive, you gotta watch those dry rubs at just about any BBQ joint!
I've been ordering coleslaw in lieu of cream corn (too much sugar) and potato salad (too much mayo) for many years now. Rudy's coleslaw is like a drug it's so good!

Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
Yep, just cut carbs, especially sugars. Fat is essential for life.
There are types of fats. (From my doctor's email):

From worst to best:

Solid fats (room temp):
1. Transfats: these are oils that were cooked and then cooled, they were used to simulate animal lard. These will kill you (over time), including cancer and other ailments.

2. Saturated fats: these are animal fats like beef and pork fat, lard, and fats from milk. These need to be limited in quantity. These promote body inflammation.

Liquid fats (room temp):
3. Poly-unsaturated (omega 6): sunflower, soy, peanut & corn oil. These are okay for you but too much can cause inflammation.

4. Mono-unsaturated (omega 9): olive oil and avocado: These are really good for you getting essential oils, no harm is done.

5. Poly-unsaturated (omega 3): fish oil, flaxseed oil, walnuts: These are really good for you, you can't ever have too much of these, they actually fight diseases and reduce inflammation.

Yes fat is essential for life, but only fats 3-5. My doctor is a pescatarian. He says that is the best way to have a long life.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:26 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is totally wrong. The metrics that my doctors polls (cholesterol, lipids, blood pressure, etc...) all indicate what to eat.

He states that it's simple math. Consume less calories than you require and you lose weight. Too much animal fat is really bad. You can get similar "fullness" from avocados or healthy fatty oils from produce.
Simply not true (heart disease and animal fat). This was belief was founded on a harvard study that was funded by the sugar industry. Obviously if you eat less calories you will lose weight. The question is how much you have to suffer.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...t-blame-at-fat

Quote:
The article draws on internal documents to show that an industry group called the Sugar Research Foundation wanted to "refute" concerns about sugar's possible role in heart disease. The SRF then sponsored research by Harvard scientists that did just that. The result was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1967, with no disclosure of the sugar industry funding.

The sugar-funded project in question was a literature review, examining a variety of studies and experiments. It suggested there were major problems with all the studies that implicated sugar, and concluded that cutting fat out of American diets was the best way to address coronary heart disease.

The authors of the new article say that for the past five decades, the sugar industry has been attempting to influence the scientific debate over the relative risks of sugar and fat.
Quote:
High blood cholesterol levels are a known risk factor for heart disease.

For decades, people have been told that the dietary cholesterol in foods raises blood cholesterol and causes heart disease.

This idea may have been a rational conclusion based on the available science 50 years ago, but better, more recent evidence doesn't support it.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
I've been ordering coleslaw in lieu of cream corn (too much sugar) and potato salad (too much mayo) for many years now. Rudy's coleslaw is like a drug it's so good!

Back in Atlanta, we had a BBQ place(lines out the door every day) that only served pulled pork sandwiches. Two questions only: With or without(coleslaw) and 'how many'?!
I think a casserole with chopped brisket and creamed corn could be a winner; but coleslaw is the perfect side dish to BBQ. Yum-Oh!

Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Yeah, avoid the worst fat, but I lost about 15 pounds (about 7% of my total mass) over 6 months by just limiting carbs - not cutting out by any stretch.
- skip the chips. That was the hardest to do, but more a habit than a need.
- The sides are what kill you at BBQ - potato salad, creamed corn, etc are the culprits at many places. Beans and cole slaw make perfectly fine substitutes.
- If you are going to eat enchiladas, it is obviously down to the filling and sauce, as you will have corn tortillas. And, despite some conventional wisdom, corn is only marginally better than flour. I have gone with chicken enchiladas with tomatillo as my 'go to' enchilada; on occasion, some cheese enchiladas. Obviously, avoid the sour cream sauce .
- Chile rellenos are not a bad alternate to enchiladas and avoid the tortillas.

To be honest, it was mostly just skipping the bread, pastries, chips, tortillas, etc. Never felt hungry, but did have to 'squelch' the desire for raw carbs.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:12 PM

478 posts, read 417,599 times
Quote:

Is your doctor 90? Has he done any recent research?

Last edited by CalTex Ranger; 03-10-2019 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin