Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM

48 posts, read 86,671 times

Advertisements

How do people find listings ( homes for sale or rental leases) in Austin and surroundings area? Is Zillow good enough? Or there any other sites specific to Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
AustinHomeSearch.com

Old 05-31-2019, 06:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaker View Post
How do people find listings ( homes for sale or rental leases) in Austin and surroundings area? Is Zillow good enough? Or there any other sites specific to Austin?

austinhomesearch.com is the MLS for non-Realtors. It is vastly more accurate than Zillow. (I know, I spend too much time explaining to clients that the reason the house they found on Zillow didn't show up in the MLS search I set up for them is because it sold two months ago. Or longer.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:31 AM

668 posts, read 783,826 times
Redfin also works well and shows sold data for other homes also. Redfin's interface is way better than austinhomesearch.com, and it seems to get updated fairly fast from the actual MLS.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Redfin also works well and shows sold data for other homes also. Redfin's interface is way better than austinhomesearch.com, and it seems to get updated fairly fast from the actual MLS.
what do you think is better? I used to hate the austinhomesearch UI, but it is actually better than redfin in some ways. For example I mainly use map search and redfin has the map squished into half the screen.

austinhomesearch has about 2/3 of the screen (or more) for the map. Otherwise the maps work about the same.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:

Remember, Redfin is not allowed to disclose sold data to anyone unless they have a client relationship with them because Texas is a nondisclosure state (we still value our privacy). So read the fine print carefully before signing up for info.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:19 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
Quote:
+1. I find Redfin so much better than Austinhomesearch. The UI is better and more intuitive and actually seems too have or at least deliver the information that I need in easy to navigate way. I don't know the folks behind AHS but perhaps Redfin just has better product designers or something. And listings are updated super fast on Redfin so AHS being the consumer facing interface for the MLS doesn't really add much value than Redfin. Zillow is the pits though.. almost completely rubbish in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Remember, Redfin is not allowed to disclose sold data to anyone unless they have a client relationship with them because Texas is a nondisclosure state (we still value our privacy). So read the fine print carefully before signing up for info.
I'm really curious why you always say this ( no disrespect just curiosity). What exactly do you think happens when people"sign up with Redfin? It comes across like you are warning people to be aware of this big boogeyman called Redfin. Nothing happens. Infact they don't even verify who you are. You just need an email address (which as we all know anyone can set up) and there's no contract bilateral or otherwise. Yes I understand that realtors see Redfin and similar as competition but in my opinion, they are actually good for consumers

Old 06-01-2019, 08:42 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaker View Post

Sales --> Redfin.com
Rentals --> HotPads.com

Worked very well for me.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:23 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
+1. I find Redfin so much better than Austinhomesearch. The UI is better and more intuitive and actually seems too have or at least deliver the information that I need in easy to navigate way. I don't know the folks behind AHS but perhaps Redfin just has better product designers or something. And listings are updated super fast on Redfin so AHS being the consumer facing interface for the MLS doesn't really add much value than Redfin. Zillow is the pits though.. almost completely rubbish in my opinion

I'm really curious why you always say this ( no disrespect just curiosity). What exactly do you think happens when people"sign up with Redfin? It comes across like you are warning people to be aware of this big boogeyman called Redfin. Nothing happens. Infact they don't even verify who you are. You just need an email address (which as we all know anyone can set up) and there's no contract bilateral or otherwise. Yes I understand that realtors see Redfin and similar as competition but in my opinion, they are actually good for consumers
The boogeyman is the one that makes an agent far less valuable by not hiding information.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:33 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
The boogeyman is the one that makes an agent far less valuable by not hiding information.

This is a classic case of how "Software is eating the world". Software automation will eliminate many occupations whether we like it or not. It is best to just accept and adapt rather than fight it.

While 6% was a good price to pay 20 years ago when a realtor had to do a ton of work (marketing, legalities, showings etc.) it absolutely makes no sense now to pay that much. A lot of these tasks have become automated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: