Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
That is a very common opinion.

But watch the 1 hr long documentary recently done by a Seattle TV station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

You might change your mind. I did.
I watched this video and it is slanted horribly in a "police can solve it" kind of way. The police can't solve this. You can't lock your way out of this problem.

My layered solution is the answer, not this BS

Seattle, like SF has a lot of homelessness because the housing prices are high. I was reading that a lot of google employees in the Bay Area camp out in trailers on random streets next to business parks where the businesses turn a blind eye because they know these are google employees. So the question really is, do you want to live in a society where google employees can't afford a house? The same thing is happening in Seattle. Amazon employees have to camp out, at the same time Jeff Bezos has $100 billion and growing. AOC was right in not wanting Amazon relocated to NYC.

The solution is low cost housing and mixed use housing. A lot of NIMBYs don't like it but it solves the housing crises and homeless problem.

We are at a point in our society where the wealth distribution difference between the top & bottom is worse than before the French revolution and you know what happened then and that was before social media. Cities are going to have to do what I'm saying they have to do or it ain't gonna be pretty this time. I've studied way too much history and I know how this ends.

Last edited by cBach; 06-26-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Housing cost is not as much an issue as employment. And a large number of the homeless are children. 1/3 are women, and many (most?) are there due to spousal abuse. There is no one answer.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 PM

716 posts, read 539,300 times
I would bet that the vast majority of
Homeless are the illegals, ignorant, lack of a education, lazy sob that don’t want to work or who made stupid choices and they can only work as car washers or hamburger flippers

How many of you had two jobs ate beans rice after your first house
And did what ever it took to buy it?

Yes house cost a lot. They did in 1985 too when we were making 12 bucks a hour

Suck it up and grow a pair

Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 PM

724 posts, read 529,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Homeless are the illegals, ignorant, lack of a education, lazy sob that don’t want to work or who made stupid choices and they can only work as car washers or hamburger flippers

I know economic concepts aren't really your thing, but you do realize that $12/hr in 1985 is the equivalent of about $29/hr in today's money... right? If you don't understand the impact of that, and the fact that wages have not risen relative to the price of housing in many metro areas, absolutely nothing will help you.

You know what would help the crisis in many of these cities? If you and your backwoods kind quit shipping your homeless to them.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post

What do you suggest we do with the homeless? Round them up and put them in prison?

You do realize that is more expensive than housing them in a homeless shelter do you?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 AM

120 posts, read 65,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What do you suggest we do with the homeless? Round them up and put them in prison?

You do realize that is more expensive than housing them in a homeless shelter do you?
Knee jerk reactions wont help. Like anything knowledge is power. This problem stems back to the 1950's when congress hired lairs to testify on their behalf that the system was broken and needed to be dismantled to save money.
The result is what we see today where families are burdened, they do not have the skills or resources, and ultimately prisons being the solution.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
Knee jerk reactions wont help. Like anything knowledge is power. This problem stems back to the 1950's when congress hired lairs to testify on their behalf that the system was broken and needed to be dismantled to save money.
The result is what we see today where families are burdened, they do not have the skills or resources, and ultimately prisons being the solution.
The dissolution of the asylum prison system is probably the biggest culprit. The big institutions weren't nice but they at least kept the insane housed and fed.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:23 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
A mental institution, drug rehab, or prison: most homeless belong in one of the three.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
A mental institution, drug rehab, or prison: most homeless belong in one of the three.
I think that is the common perception, but there are a lot of children and a lot of abused women that have fled bad domestic situations.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:34 PM

724 posts, read 529,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This is woefully myopic. I’d really suggest taking a few hours out of your week to work with these people you judge from afar. There are literally millions of people across this nation that do not fit these categories that do not know where there next meal is coming from or have a reliable roof to sleep under. Hundreds of thousands of those are children.

But a big mahalo for supporting the narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin