Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:12 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoquiz3000 View Post
Another thing to consider is that Austin and surrounding cities and utility districts all collect "impact fees" which are designed to collect up-front funds for infrastructure development (water, sewer, streets, drainage, etc.) amounting to several thousand dollars (at least) per newly constructed housing unit.

These fees must be backed up by the city's or utility's long term capital improvements plan put together by engineers so that there is at least some attempt to have new growth help pay for the costs of facility expansions required to serve it.

Impact fees don't help pay for infrastructure that was installed a long time ago (but then again, those of us who are here have been using those facilities all these years) but they can be used to pay for major upgrades to older facilities. Maintenance and operations are all paid through our utility rates.

Our school funding system precludes this type of fee so in that case we all pay for each new facility through bonds repaid from future property taxes. I don't know if there's ever been talk of extending impact fee authority to ISDs but you can bet that the development community will come unglued at the idea.

As for city-county or consolidated governance, I like the idea too, but it's very un-Texan. I grew up in Tennessee where Nashville and Davidson County are consolidated governments (like Miami-Dade, Louisville-Jefferson County) and the general feeling is that results are mixed. Here's an interesting article on the subject: The Urbanophile: An Examination of City-County Consolidation (http://theurbanophile.blogspot.com/2007/12/examination-of-city-county.html - broken link)

I'm all for regionalism in at least some aspects of governance (we have "regional councils" or "COGs" but these are toothless service providers), but it would be an uphill (vertical?) battle in the legislature.
Great info Geo.....indeed, I didn't know about impact fees myself, and that seems to spread the pain around a bit more equitably, prob the closest thing to having newcomers foot the bill for improvements. Utilities lump it, as you say, in the bills, but the bills are lumped and raised uniform through the meto, so in that case everyone pays for the newcomers and new areas. Per road improvements, tolls seem to be the way to get around putting the cost as directly on the new areas and residents as possible, seeing how they almost uniformly are located in the newer, suburban areas. Truly, the only ones who get away with footing little or nothing are the developers and big box stores, who truly feast off the public till, and blight the landscape to boot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Since Walmart isn't the only big box store to blight the landscape, I wonder why we don't see any "anti" signs against them like we do against Walmart, as in the post above.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Since Walmart isn't the only big box store to blight the landscape, I wonder why we don't see any "anti" signs against them like we do against Walmart, as in the post above.
WM is the poster child for sprawl, as McDonalds is for fast food. True, it is unfair to dump ALL the blame on them, as for every WM, there are 20 other bigboxes, from Home improvement to retail. I think the issue is far more than sprawl as well. I think it speaks as to how we work and live in today's metros. We stopped patronizing mom-and-pop stores long ago. That includes even restaurants, as Appleby's, Chili's, and the other zillion free-standing, big-box restaurants will attest to in every major metro. Why? Lots of reasons. Let me list a few:

1.) Many of us prefer to live in newer developments on the outskirts of cities, where land is cheap, and developers can afford to build larger lots and homes. It takes much time for neighborhood retail to develop, if it is to become unique, organic, and breathable. We don't seem to have time to wait for that process to take its course, and want immediate shopping strips and centers. National franchises jump into that void, giving us ready-made retail for our every need, even including bookstores(Barnes, Borders), and coffeeshops (Starbucks).

2.) Both parents work now, and singles are pressed too. They don't have time to search out little places,and want to go quickly to what is familiar. One stop-shops like Target, Wal-mart, and huge grocery stores like H-E-B make shopping centered and quick, and let us move on with our lives.

3.) Entrepreneurs are not as willing to create start-up little neighborhood businesses as they were in the past. Not only that, now it is somewhat impossible to compete with the big-boxes. Even record stores are impossible to start-up , with Best Buy and Wal-Mart essentially the only venue folks have to purchase music, along with a few other big-boxes, including Borders, other than on-line.

4.) Many have grown up without local stores and atmosphere at this point, and have nothing to compare the past with. As years go on, fewer and fewer people will know any different. So, we would have to overhaul our whole way of suburban life to change this paradigm.

There is still hope now, however. With the high price of gas and housing, we may see a new housing paradigm on the near horizon. Mixed-use developments, approximating city neighborhoods of old, are being pioneered in several areas. Rapid transit is becoming more popular, and new road construction is quickly being seen as unaffordable and untenable, per budget squeezes. It should be interesting to see how all this plays out.

http://www.stonecreekllc.com/images/urbanstreets.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scongress1234; 04-20-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-20-2008, 09:51 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post

1.) Many of us prefer to live in newer developments on the outskirts of cities, where land is cheap, and developers can afford to build larger lots and homes. It takes much time for neighborhood retail to develop, if it is to become unique, organic, and breathable. We don't seem to have time to wait for that process to take its course, and want immediate shopping strips and centers. National franchises jump into that void, giving us ready-made retail for our every need, even including bookstores(Barnes, Borders), and coffeeshops (Starbucks).

2.) Both parents work now, and singles are pressed too. They don't have time to search out little places,and want to go quickly to what is familiar. One stop-shops like Target, Wal-mart, and huge grocery stores like H-E-B make shopping centered and quick, and let us move on with our lives.

3.) Entrepreneurs are not as willing to create start-up little neighborhood businesses as they were in the past. Not only that, now it is somewhat impossible to compete with the big-boxes. Even record stores are impossible to start-up , with Best Buy and Wal-Mart essentially the only venue folks have to purchase music, along with a few other big-boxes, including Borders, other than on-line.

4.) Many have grown up without local stores and atmosphere at this point, and have nothing to compare the past with. As years go on, fewer and fewer people will know any different. So, we would have to overhaul our whole way of suburban life to change this paradigm.

I think you are missing the most important point, the big boxes have a much larger selection and their prices are significantly better because they are national chains that get volume discounts.

Frankly I like big boxes. The "atmosphere" of mom and pop stores is quaint but doesnt provide enough value to me. I dont want to get to know the owner of many of the stores I patronize. Restaurants are probably the exception.

1) Why is "organic and breathable" better than planned or organized?
2) My wife doesnt work and for most things she will go to a big box (just because you dont work doesnt mean you dont value your time) and if she wants something more unique she will go to a local store that carries items that are less mainstream. This is how mom and pop stores survive. You can go to babys r us for most things and then to one of the boutique baby stores for things that are a little more unusual.

3) The neighborhood store has to provide value. Just selling something isnt necessarily enough value

4) Neighborhood businesses are overrated by people who look backwards with a sense of nostalgia. There is nothing more frustrating than going to a butcher only to have him tell you he doesnt have the particular cut of meat you need so now you need to go to a second one. Well two butchers in the same neighborhood probably does work, so now you have to drive anyway. Then you have to get fruit, bakery etc. Do you really want to go to a different store for each type of grocery? Our time is valuable, I would rather spend it with friends and family than walking from store to store just to pick up groceries.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think you are missing the most important point, the big boxes have a much larger selection and their prices are significantly better because they are national chains that get volume discounts.

Frankly I like big boxes. The "atmosphere" of mom and pop stores is quaint but doesnt provide enough value to me. I dont want to get to know the owner of many of the stores I patronize. Restaurants are probably the exception.

1) Why is "organic and breathable" better than planned or organized?
2) My wife doesnt work and for most things she will go to a big box (just because you dont work doesnt mean you dont value your time) and if she wants something more unique she will go to a local store that carries items that are less mainstream. This is how mom and pop stores survive. You can go to babys r us for most things and then to one of the boutique baby stores for things that are a little more unusual.

3) The neighborhood store has to provide value. Just selling something isnt necessarily enough value

4) Neighborhood businesses are overrated by people who look backwards with a sense of nostalgia. There is nothing more frustrating than going to a butcher only to have him tell you he doesnt have the particular cut of meat you need so now you need to go to a second one. Well two butchers in the same neighborhood probably does work, so now you have to drive anyway. Then you have to get fruit, bakery etc. Do you really want to go to a different store for each type of grocery? Our time is valuable, I would rather spend it with friends and family than walking from store to store just to pick up groceries.
To me, organic and breathable would mean retail that is original, locally-based, and grows slowly with the development. We seem to build everything in one fell swoop. In that case, we simply import national chains, and crowd out any chance of local places setting up roots. AND, we make every new area homogenous. I saw the exact same stores in Cedar Park that I saw in Carmel, a suburb north of Indianapolis. If I didn't blink I wouldn't know if I was back home or in Texas. Also, it takes an effort to foster a unique, eclectic, locally-based retail environment. We have to look for those places, make an extra effort to patronize them, and spread the word for them. It's just too easy to stick with the tried and familiar. And, sure, the big-boxes are cheaper, because they simply have priced the little guys out of business. The downsides? Most big-box workers don't know a hill of beans about their products. Try finding something, or asking for advice, or even finding someone to ask a question to. Impersonal, antiseptic atmospheres, cavernous stores, essentially warehouses, which make finding things difficult, including H-E-B. And every store looks the same, and carries the same merchandise. And, as I said, it is convenience, and many DON'T think we have the time to patronize such places, yet, we vegg for hours on end on the net and watching cable. Again, it takes a bit of an effort, but it does pay off, as then you create a wonderful shopping atmosphere that will attract far more new residents than the same big-box national look, which must be one of the ugliest living environments known to mankind. Walk around any major city in Europe and see the difference, and the quaintness, of dense, unique retail establishments, that blend into the environment, rather than the reinforced concrete bunkers that are big-box.

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/focus05/images/041205/Untitled1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kingfisher.com/managed_content/files/reports/annual_report_2006/images/graphs/chart_customer_chart.gif (broken link)

Last edited by scongress1234; 04-20-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 AM

19 posts, read 69,910 times
Default sales

Does anybody know if the layoffs have/are affecting the sales force or mostly engineers and tech-type positions? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
[quote=scongress1234;3518383]. Also, it takes an effort to foster a unique, eclectic, locally-based retail environment. We have to look for those places, make an extra effort to patronize them, and spread the word for them. It's just too easy to stick with the tried and familiar. And, sure, the big-boxes are cheaper, because they simply have priced the little guys out of business. The downsides? Most big-box workers don't know a hill of beans about their products. Try finding something, or asking for advice, or even finding someone to ask a question to. Impersonal, antiseptic atmospheres, cavernous stores, essentially warehouses, which make finding things difficult, including H-E-B. And every store looks the same, and carries the same merchandise. And, as I said, it is convenience, and many DON'T think we have the time to patronize such places, yet, we vegg for hours on end on the net and watching cable. Again, it takes a bit of an effort, but it does pay off, as then you create a wonderful shopping atmosphere that will attract far more new residents than the same big-box national look, which must be one of the ugliest living environments known to mankind. Walk around any major city in Europe and see the difference, and the quaintness, of dense, unique retail establishments, that blend into the environment, rather than the reinforced concrete bunkers that are big-box.

If people valued what you described, then the small retailers would survive. The reality is that what you are describing doesnt have enough value.

It is trivial to compete against any big box, most mom and pops are just not saavy enough to do it.

The key to survival against a big box is to actually know what your customers value and will pay for and then provide it. Big boxes can only provide commodities, so one very simply way to compete is to go into more depth than the big box. Big boxes sell the top 20% of any category, but they sell in every category - breadth not depth. If you want to compete against a big box, sell depth not breadth.

A butcher can compete against HEB, but they actually have to provide different meat. If you provide the same cuts that HEB provides, you will get slaughtered (so to speak).

Big boxes dont do baked items well at all (it is easier for most people to tell the difference between good baked goods and bad ones), so there are a lot of bakeries.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel24 View Post
Does anybody know if the layoffs have/are affecting the sales force or mostly engineers and tech-type positions? Thanks.
My very limited impression was that it was across the board...mostly duplicated positions after a massive reorganization.

They are hiring in areas that Michael Dell publically announced would be focuses of the company. Services for one. My DH's team just got a handfull of new hires from outside the company.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

19 posts, read 69,910 times
Im with HP now in Idaho in sales and am looking to maybe move to Austin is why.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 PM

135 posts, read 736,190 times
My DH told me that 8 or 9 jobs just opened up on his team. He is a Development Engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin