Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I was browsing the amenities that Atlanta has to offer. I have to say I am really impressed.

Why would you want to leave Atlanta to Austin? I am just curious.

Thanks
Can't speak for the others but we can go pretty much anywhere we wish and we have often longed for less traffic(I know, Austinites think their traffic is bad--Atlanta studied LA to perfect bad traffic), earlier spring weather and milder fall and winter, lots fewer people(ATL metro had about 3 million folks when I moved here; now it's about 5.5million), plenty of tennis and bicycling opportunities(Atlanta has the largest local tennis league in the world[over 80,000 players] but, it may be the least bicycle-friendly city in the country) and volunteer opportunities similar to those in Atlanta.

Don't really need the pro sports teams, 60 Home Depots and almost as many Lowe's, severe water shortages, absolutely unregulated sprawl(again, Austin ain't seen nuthin' like Atlanta sprawl) failing infrastructure, etc. I'll miss our newly formed city of Sandy Springs but look forward to a city that is new to us.

BTW, we didn't just throw a dart at a map; we have family in Austin and up in the hill country. That was a big factor as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 12:00 AM

31 posts, read 117,178 times
Our move to Austin from Atlanta is simlar to 10scoachrick and agree whole hardedly that the aweful traffic has such a grinding effect on you. My pet peve (and my wife's) are untimed or useless traffiic lights. It's bad enough to have to sit in freeway traffic then exit to find more street traffic backed up trying to get through a light. In most cases its not really the traffic light its just too many cars! The unwritten traffic law in Atlanta is when in the light turns red, 2 more cars are 'excused' to slide through the intersection.

Another simlar aspect of Atlanta to L.A. is that when you want to do something or go somewhere, there are at least 50 or more people with the exact same idea. If it rains all week and the sun comes out on Saturday watch out because everyone will be out driving to go somewhere. We've seen none of these characteristics in Austin or San Antonio for that matter.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
I can add that living in intown Atlanta to avoid said traffic nightmares, nets you having your home broken into on numerous occasions, as well as your car. Public schools are CRAP. Pollution is so bad in the summer that they have days that even healthy people should stay indoors. And yes, traffic from hell.

What amenities were you seeing listed for Atlanta? I think mostly what people do here for fun is go out to eat. We're not very well-rounded when it comes to extra curricular activities.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Well that's cool guys / gals. Thanks for the feedback. I lived in Columbus / Ft. Benning, GA and remembering visiting my uncle and cousins in ATL. From what I remember back in 1990, it was not all that bad and really enjoyed the city and the cool lake / boat rides. Very pretty city! I don't think you can compare ATL to ATX. If your wanting the not so busy sprawl its fine now, but as you see that lot of the longer residents in ATX are complaining about how much busier this city has become.

Come'on down, I think there is plenty of hill country land left but its not cheap, never was. Make sure you understand how are property taxes are here. It's not cheap to live here, thats for sure and its not going to get any cheaper.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post

What amenities were you seeing listed for Atlanta? I think mostly what people do here for fun is go out to eat. We're not very well-rounded when it comes to extra curricular activities.
Heh, here in Austin, I think the same. A lot of restaurants are popping up. I feel like I am in Miami w/o the beach.

As for things to do in ATL:

Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau - 50 Fun Things To Do In Atlanta

I like Stone Mountain Park and "The Georgia Museum"

Looks like lots of fun!

Austin does not have things like this. Yea, we have Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, but it stinks we have to travel 1-4 hrs to do something. Not really much to do here in Austin IMHO. Wife and I were talking about what we were planning to do this weekend and was looking to go to SA for the Fiesta.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Well that's cool guys / gals. Thanks for the feedback. I lived in Columbus / Ft. Benning, GA and remembering visiting my uncle and cousins in ATL. From what I remember back in 1990, it was not all that bad and really enjoyed the city and the cool lake / boat rides. Very pretty city! I don't think you can compare ATL to ATX. If your wanting the not so busy sprawl its fine now, but as you see that lot of the longer residents in ATX are complaining about how much busier this city has become.

Come'on down, I think there is plenty of hill country land left but its not cheap, never was. Make sure you understand how are property taxes are here. It's not cheap to live here, thats for sure and its not going to get any cheaper.
Ah, yes, the early 90s was just before the beginning of the end...then the Braves started their run and everybody got a look at how beautiful Atlanta is in October....'wow, let's move there!'. Then the '96 Olympics and everybody saw how nice it is, even in August heat...'wow, let's move there!' and so on and so on...ATL still has a lot going for it; we're just going to make room for someone else! We'll try not to get in the way in Austin!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 AM

144 posts, read 330,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Can't speak for the others but we can go pretty much anywhere we wish and we have often longed for less traffic(I know, Austinites think their traffic is bad--Atlanta studied LA to perfect bad traffic), earlier spring weather and milder fall and winter, lots fewer people(ATL metro had about 3 million folks when I moved here; now it's about 5.5million), plenty of tennis and bicycling opportunities(Atlanta has the largest local tennis league in the world[over 80,000 players] but, it may be the least bicycle-friendly city in the country) and volunteer opportunities similar to those in Atlanta.

Don't really need the pro sports teams, 60 Home Depots and almost as many Lowe's, severe water shortages, absolutely unregulated sprawl(again, Austin ain't seen nuthin' like Atlanta sprawl) failing infrastructure, etc. I'll miss our newly formed city of Sandy Springs but look forward to a city that is new to us.

BTW, we didn't just throw a dart at a map; we have family in Austin and up in the hill country. That was a big factor as well.
I was going to contribute here, but you've actually stated my reasons pretty well! I'd throw in "way too conservative for me personally" but that's evidenced by the "absolutely unregulated sprawl" you mentioned.

Did you see me wave just now? I'm also in Sandy Springs.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
I was going to contribute here, but you've actually stated my reasons pretty well! I'd throw in "way too conservative for me personally" but that's evidenced by the "absolutely unregulated sprawl" you mentioned.

Did you see me wave just now? I'm also in Sandy Springs.
Hey DIS, I thought that was you! Are you headed for Austin? Looks like we are outta here in late May, early-mid June.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 AM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Ah, yes, the early 90s was just before the beginning of the end...then the Braves started their run and everybody got a look at how beautiful Atlanta is in October....'wow, let's move there!'. Then the '96 Olympics and everybody saw how nice it is, even in August heat...'wow, let's move there!' and so on and so on...ATL still has a lot going for it; we're just going to make room for someone else! We'll try not to get in the way in Austin!
Well, we're experiencing the "beginning of the end" for Austin now. Your run to Texas may be short lived, especially if you're one of those people who's always looking for the "next best thing." Another few years like it's been lately, and Austin will be miserable.....we're halfway there already. It's not just Austin, but all over Texas. I have family in all parts of the state, and they're all seeing the same thing we're seeing in Austin. People don't care where in Texas they're going, they're just glad to be leaving California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, New York, etc. for a job and cheap housing. The South that everyone's talking about as the "hot spot" is really just Texas. I'm moving from a neighborhood in Austin where half the block is from out of state to a neighborhood in Cedar Park where 75% of the block is from out of state! The neighboring cities like Cedar Park, Round Rock, Dripping Springs, Pflugerville seem to be the hardes hit areas when it comes to people moving to Texas from out of state.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Well, we're experiencing the "beginning of the end" for Austin now. Your run to Texas may be short lived, especially if you're one of those people who's always looking for the "next best thing." Another few years like it's been lately, and Austin will be miserable.....we're halfway there already. It's not just Austin, but all over Texas. I have family in all parts of the state, and they're all seeing the same thing we're seeing in Austin. People don't care where in Texas they're going, they're just glad to be leaving California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, New York, etc. for a job and cheap housing. The South that everyone's talking about as the "hot spot" is really just Texas. I'm moving from a neighborhood in Austin where half the block is from out of state to a neighborhood in Cedar Park where 75% of the block is from out of state! The neighboring cities like Cedar Park, Round Rock, Dripping Springs, Pflugerville seem to be the hardes hit areas when it comes to people moving to Texas from out of state.
No 'next best thing' for us...to paraphrase Yogi Berra, I lived the first half of my life in Columbia, SC; the second half in Atlanta, and I expect to live the last half in Austin! It's not 'just Texas' for us...wouldn't dream of living in Dallas or Houston. I would have to say that Atlanta definitely falls into the 'hot spot' South you speak of. Pretty tough to find a native anywhere outside the perimeter...not so easy even within the city limits. If the natives decide to leave the congestion of the city, they usually head for the GA mountains or even into North Carolina to escape the summer heat. Same as Austin, I reckon; locals leaving the city proper don't just move 15 miles out into the 'burbs', they head for quieter pastures.

I don't think anyone can blame us for not buying a $400K fixer to be close in to DT Austin, so out to the 'burbs we go. See you soon! BTW, no commute for us so we won't even be in the way as you head to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin