Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:42 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
While those homes are in demand right now, I can't help but wonder what will happen when the younger generation winds up married with children and how alluring those homes will remain after they have a family they have to take care of. I dont deny that they are needed as singles with college debt cant afford a decked out house but if they build that stuff in every other neighborhood what will happen in the future if the demand for them declines?
if demand for them declines, then prices will drop and maybe they will be affordable. Central planning doesnt work. Let the market decide what it wants to do and people will be the happiest. So many people want to control the look and feel of their neighbors' houses.

Millenials want to live centrally, suburb master planned communities dont work for them. It doesnt matter that the baby boomers didnt plan for what millenials wanted. Millenials will build what they want and their children will do what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
if demand for them declines, then prices will drop and maybe they will be affordable. Central planning doesnt work. Let the market decide what it wants to do and people will be the happiest. So many people want to control the look and feel of their neighbors' houses.

Millenials want to live centrally, suburb master planned communities dont work for them. It doesnt matter that the baby boomers didnt plan for what millenials wanted. Millenials will build what they want and their children will do what they want.
I get this, the thing that worries me is that the only thing that makes these designs and the mass amount of these homes alluring is the demand by Millenials. I do agree that you technically have to provide what the market is looking for but if every neighborhood here became like that and suddenly the demand for them dropped unlike the current neighborhoods, these newer homes will have absolutely 0 charm to allure future post millennial potential affluent populations. They will however retain convenience but while they may or may not become more affordable we could end up seeing once great areas go down hill real fast. I think some control isnt exactly a bad thing because the market is only about now but I'm more worried about the future. Letting the market control everything may be just as bad as not preparing at all for changes in the market / demand.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but I do think it should be controlled and confined to certain areas.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:04 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Trying to plan what 'aesthetic' the next generation wants is a fools errand, though. If a person doesn't like the new house styles, they shouldn't buy one or build one like that. It they don't like their neighbors house looking like that - well, they should have bought that house, as well.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:10 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Trying to plan what 'aesthetic' the next generation wants is a fools errand, though. If a person doesn't like the new house styles, they shouldn't buy one or build one like that. It they don't like their neighbors house looking like that - well, they should have bought that house, as well.
I get that as well it's just, if something were to happen where suddenly the demand for these styles of homes were to drop and intown Austin was built up with them, everywhere; as opposed to certain areas, dont you think that could be negatively impactful? I'm more so saying that, we should strive to keep the variety that's presently here while also providing for them and not making it 'the only thing we are providing'.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I get that as well it's just, if something were to happen where suddenly the demand for these styles of homes were to drop and intown Austin was built up with them, everywhere; as opposed to certain areas, dont you think that could be negatively impactful? I'm more so saying that, we should strive to keep the variety that's presently here while also providing for them and not making it 'the only thing we are providing'.
Eh, we basically have the same homes everywhere already. 'We' don't need to do anything, let the market do what it will within very broad bounds. 'We' (the city of Austin?) aren't providing anything but options. Realistically, any changes triggered by the zoning code revisions will be very, very slow. The resistance is mainly due to the possibility that one of these will be on the same street or block as an existing homeowner who does not want change.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
No, you have a complete lack of understanding of a free market.

Even zoning dictating what can be built where is a problem except at the broadest level, like no toxic waste dump next to a home.

If you do put up barriers to the market to meet demand, dont complain about affordability.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:05 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:
Why not let the market decide what should be built? The central area of cities shouldn't be dominated by SFHs anyways.

If a homeowner wants to sell their property and the new owner wants to develop a multi-unit development on the lot, what's the problem? We shouldn't be preserving homes at the detriment of those who wish to live in the area, especially if it keeps home prices artificially high.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Why not let the market decide what should be built? The central area of cities shouldn't be dominated by SFHs anyways.

If a homeowner wants to sell their property and the new owner wants to develop a multi-unit development on the lot, what's the problem? We shouldn't be preserving homes at the detriment of those who wish to live in the area, especially if it keeps home prices artificially high.
Because if the market decides developers would buy all the land surrounding downtown and build “luxury” apartments and condos. This is about smart development and not forcing families who have lived in Austin for generations to be taxed out of their homes because I developed wants to put said “luxury” on their land. The land development code is broken and leaves out those that aren’t low income but not making six figures, which is a lot of people here.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Because if the market decides developers would buy all the land surrounding downtown and build “luxury” apartments and condos. This is about smart development and not forcing families who have lived in Austin for generations to be taxed out of their homes because I developed wants to put said “luxury” on their land. The land development code is broken and leaves out those that aren’t low income but not making six figures, which is a lot of people here.
Ok, well then that needs to be the stated reason for opposition, not preserving character. Generally I'm not interested in preserving character if it's just NIMBYs that don't want things to change just because. But I'm also not in favor of developers pricing everyone out of a neighborhood either.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:36 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Ok, well then that needs to be the stated reason for opposition, not preserving character. Generally I'm not interested in preserving character if it's just NIMBYs that don't want things to change just because. But I'm also not in favor of developers pricing everyone out of a neighborhood either.
Everyone has their specific reason for being for or against whatever land development code there is. Old Austin is worried about character and change in property value. Others are worried/affected by affordability. Both sides are valid. It’s a hard sell no matter what. I lived in 78723 for a big chunk of my time in Austin. I love that it feels residential and it’s diverse in its population. But, to be able to have the quality of life I have in far south Austin now, I’d have to pay to live in a mueller town home which rents for three times what I pay in the burbs. I don’t fault the current residents in their issue with the code, but, I’d also like to move back up that way and afford to live there. It’s a tough situation and there’s no easy solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin