Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 07:08 PM

41 posts, read 32,020 times

Advertisements

Ditto the Houston comments... Giant airport and biggest medical center on planet earth. I am a former IT consultant, and wife was a health care worker... We lived there until just a few years ago. Houston is your town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 08:29 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Honestly, with a IT and Healthcare profession and the need to travel at a dimes notice I would also recommend Atlanta.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Lord Almighty! How recently have you all traveled?! twenty years ago, yes, this was a valid criticism of Austin but NOW in 2019? NO WAY! You can fly direct from Austin to Frankfurt on Luftansa! Non-stop, direct to London on BA, Amsterdam on KLM,

There are multiple direct flights to SFO every day, you can fly direct Boston, Newark, Chicago, AND Toronto, the list goes on (you can search the threads about 6 months I replied with a list of the all-stop flights from Austin. I am too old NOT to fly non-stop and I can't remember the last time I had a connecting flight unless I was going to Asia. I would argue that there is no other US city of our size that has more non-stop flights!
When you travel for IT you end up in all kinds of non major cities. Austin has directs to some major cities, but once you go to second tier cities, you will have to connect. It is irrelevant the flights per size of austin. Austin has less non stops than DFW and IAH

For example:

Cleveland
Tampa
Sacramento
Little rock
Buffalo
etc

Old 12-31-2019, 10:01 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,156,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Lord Almighty! How recently have you all traveled?! twenty years ago, yes, this was a valid criticism of Austin but NOW in 2019? NO WAY! You can fly direct from Austin to Frankfurt on Luftansa! Non-stop, direct to London on BA, Amsterdam on KLM,

There are multiple direct flights to SFO every day, you can fly direct Boston, Newark, Chicago, AND Toronto, the list goes on (you can search the threads about 6 months I replied with a list of the all-stop flights from Austin. I am too old NOT to fly non-stop and I can't remember the last time I had a connecting flight unless I was going to Asia. I would argue that there is no other US city of our size that has more non-stop flights!
I travel for business 40-50% of the time. If I had a dollar for every time I got stuck in IAH or DFW or PHX waiting for a connection to AUS, it would cover at least 3-4 of the bar tabs I racked up while waiting.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:38 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
When you travel for IT you end up in all kinds of non major cities. Austin has directs to some major cities, but once you go to second tier cities, you will have to connect. It is irrelevant the flights per size of austin. Austin has less non stops than DFW and IAH

For example:

Cleveland
Tampa
Sacramento
Little rock
Buffalo
etc
I fly non-stop to both Tampa and Sacramento (Southwest).

I haven't made a connection in years, although it's true travel to a few smaller cities might require a connection. But I regularly fly nonstop to Boston, New York, LA, Long Beach, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Denver, Portland, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte, Chicago--the list goes on. London, too.

There's reasons not to live in Austin, but air travel wouldn't be one on my list.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
I’d rather live in Austin and have to change planes than to live in Atlanta.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I’d rather live in Austin and have to change planes than to live in Atlanta.
Admittedly, same here.

I moved from Atlanta to Austin and have no regrets.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Houston is better for healthcare, better airport, and more Indians. Houston wins.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Connecting with 3+ flights thing as an extensive traveler can be exhausting. I like to vacation in nearby Mexico, but unless you're going to Mexico City, you're stuck with the American carriers or going to catch a connection at MEX (which can be hair-raising during arrival through Mexican customs, and a short connection on the way back to NorteAmerica because the plane had to wait for a gate to be available.). United is the only North American airline with an extensive flight list from IAH to many cities in Mexico, from popular resort towns to state capitals to serve ex-pats.

Plus CBS' Gayle King has a lost luggage story to share as she stopped by Oprah's house on her way to Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeway Man View Post
Ditto the Houston comments... Giant airport and biggest medical center on planet earth. I am a former IT consultant, and wife was a health care worker... We lived there until just a few years ago. Houston is your town...
Well it's similar to Toronto. Both have been acclaimed "Most Diverse Cityâ„¢" in their respective countries.

There are slightly more Calgarians here (especially in Katy--a major suburb to the west of Houston) due to the oil & gas ties (you couldn't get a flight from DFW to both major Alberta cities on Air Canada, but United, AC, and Westjet fly to Calgary and Edmonton from Houston). But Eastern Canadians are also well represented here.

Last edited by KerrTown; 01-01-2020 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-01-2020, 07:40 PM

50 posts, read 183,372 times
Does your family live in Brampton now?

Coming from the GTA, you will probably prefer Austin to Houston. Austin is a more compact city and not as much sprawl as Houston or Toronto (especially if you live in Brampton).

Flying out of AUS is a much better experience than YYZ. Southwest Airlines is great, so is JetBlue (neither of which fly out of YYZ). If you do have to connect, lots of American Airlines flights to DFW and from there you can connect anywhere (you can also drive there).

For arts and culture, check out Bass Concert Hall, Moody Theatre and the Paramount Theatre.

You can always drive to San Antonio, Houston or Dallas to catch a Raptors game.

Living in Austin would be a MAJOR upgrade from Toronto. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin