Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 03:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I used to travel to Central Florida a lot for business and they had those boiled peanut stands all over. Tried them once, yuck! I'll take my peanuts roasted please! Grits are only good covered in cheese.
Both grits and boiled peanuts are regional foods that some people love and others don't. And that's OK.

One thing I know for sure, good grits and good boiled peanuts are pretty scarce throughout Texas, compared to GA, SC, LA, and MS. But Texas has great regional foods too. When I moved here from Georgia about 25 years ago, I had never had 1) a good margarita, or any margarita for that matter, and 2) any Tex Mex food other than Taco Bell food. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when it came to those, but I still miss good grits and boiled peanuts (preferably separately, but in all fairness I've never tried them together!).

Hey, I thought it was pretty weird for Georgians to put peanuts in RC Cola but I found out that it actually tastes pretty good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 04:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I thought it was pretty weird for Georgians to put peanuts in RC Cola but I found out that it actually tastes pretty good!

I put peanuts in Dr Pepper. So, a little of both worlds.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I put peanuts in Dr Pepper. So, a little of both worlds.
It's been decades; but we used to put Lance's peanuts in the mini-bottles of Coca Cola while prepping the papers for my brother's paper route in Columbia, SC. Careful they don't fizz all over the place!! That sweet and salty combo continued years later with Cheetos and Mountain Dew!!! (Didn't actually put the Cheetos IN the Dew ).

Old 01-21-2020, 04:58 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
I order Palmetto Farms yellow and white grits from Amazon. Although Texans try to pretend they're Southern, the complete lack of decent grits tells the true story.
I hear this a million times on here, but no one specifies what they mean by it. Within the past five years I've lived in TX, GA and FL and the average serving of grits I've had at every Waffle House, kitchen table or catered breakfast tastes more or less the same. I mean, we're talking about corn boiled in water with salt and and a generous amount of animal fat added to it. Not a complicated concept at all.

Now, if we're talking about the difference between quick grits and stoneground then I can understand, but I can assure you the average Georgian of 2020 isn't any more biased than a Texan is in that regard. But maybe somewhere in Mississippi real grits are still taken seriously.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
I grew up in Southern Louisiana and grits were not part of our diet and Louisiana is about as Deep South as you can get (MS is deeper I guess). A typical big Cajun breakfast was scrambled eggs with andouille sausage and maybe some toast with fig jam. Boudin was another popular "on the go" breakfast food. For some reason people seem to eat boudin at lunch here, lunch was muffulettas or poboys mostly. Still searching for a decent muffuletta in Austin

Oddly enough my ex European wife would serve polenta which is a much higher quality of grits. She would serve that for breakfast, if you have an over easy egg on top of a bed of polenta, OMG that's good. If there wasn't polenta at the store then cheese grits could substitute. Cheese grits topped with an over easy egg, that's some good eats there.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM

I don't see Louisiana as Southern. It's Cajun more than anything. But I can still get good grits in Nawlins.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 PM

R00p
Quote:
I don't see Louisiana as Southern. It's Cajun more than anything.
Only parts of Louisiana are Cajun influenced. New Orleans is more Creole dominant, and northeast Louisiana might as well be Mississippi; definitely southern

Quote:
But I can still get good grits in Nawlins.
Just please don't let them hear you pronounce it that way.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I hear this a million times on here, but no one specifies what they mean by it. Within the past five years I've lived in TX, GA and FL and the average serving of grits I've had at every Waffle House, kitchen table or catered breakfast tastes more or less the same. I mean, we're talking about corn boiled in water with salt and and a generous amount of animal fat added to it. Not a complicated concept at all.

Now, if we're talking about the difference between quick grits and stoneground then I can understand, but I can assure you the average Georgian of 2020 isn't any more biased than a Texan is in that regard. But maybe somewhere in Mississippi real grits are still taken seriously.
No. Just no.

Sorry, but I'm not basing my opinion on Waffle House since I never go there. But my gosh, I've tasted a world of difference in grits between say, Georgia and South Carolina and Texas. Sorry, but it's just true. No matter where I am in Texas, when I order grits - IF they offer them (they are a given in most places in the Deep South but you can't be sure of their availability in Texas), they are invariably bland, low on salt, and clearly made as cheaply and easily as possible. It's just not the same approach in Deep South states.

Maybe you can't tell the difference, but I certainly can.

Where are you from and where have you spent most of your years actually living?

And yes, I agree with you on this - don't say Nawlins. The most authentic pronunciation is sort of like this - Nyorlins.

Native of Nyorlins here. And yes, you can generally get better grits in Nyorlins than anywhere in Texas. But the best grits in Louisiana are probably in northern Louisiana through Mississippi, Alabama (all over the dang state) and Georgia and SC (also all over those states).

Old 01-21-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

Wow, so much wrong in two short paragraphs. I’ve lived in a lot of places, but places where I’ve been, people know their grits.

I must have hung with a different kind of person when I lived in Georgia. Most of my friends know grits.

Waffle House is great, and I’ll eat grits there, but they aren’t what I’m used to.

In Charleston, guarantee you folks that grew up there know their grits.

And no self-respecting Southerner just uses water to fix good grits.

I’ll always say Nawlins, my accent makes it sound good. ;-)

Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No. Just no.

Sorry, but I'm not basing my opinion on Waffle House since I never go there. But my gosh, I've tasted a world of difference in grits between say, Georgia and South Carolina and Texas. Sorry, but it's just true. No matter where I am in Texas, when I order grits - IF they offer them (they are a given in most places in the Deep South but you can't be sure of their availability in Texas), they are invariably bland, low on salt, and clearly made as cheaply and easily as possible. It's just not the same approach in Deep South states.

Maybe you can't tell the difference, but I certainly can.

Where are you from and where have you spent most of your years actually living?

And yes, I agree with you on this - don't say Nawlins. The most authentic pronunciation is sort of like this - Nyorlins.

Native of Nyorlins here. And yes, you can generally get better grits in Nyorlins than anywhere in Texas. But the best grits in Louisiana are probably in northern Louisiana through Mississippi, Alabama (all over the dang state) and Georgia and SC (also all over those states).
Quote:
Wow, so much wrong in two short paragraphs. I’ve lived in a lot of places, but places where I’ve been, people know their grits.

I must have hung with a different kind of person when I lived in Georgia. Most of my friends know grits.

Waffle House is great, and I’ll eat grits there, but they aren’t what I’m used to.

In Charleston, guarantee you folks that grew up there know their grits.

And no self-respecting Southerner just uses water to fix good grits.

I’ll always say Nawlins, my accent makes it sound good. ;-)
Doesn't look like I'll get an answer on the specifics of what makes a great bowl of grits. Two experts should be able to tell me.

And I certainly never claimed Waffle House was great, but if "true" southernness is the key factor behind great grits, then certainly a Georgia-based restaurant would be the place to find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin