Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times

Advertisements

Always had a job lined up. Good luck to the ones that don't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 30,127 times
Yes, think it's worth it. We're planning to do just that- move without secure jobs in place. But we are confident that it'll work out fine. Here're are reasons:

-Coming from So Cal where we've been priced out of the size home we want and standard of living for our young kids.

-Want to be closer to family (members from both sides in Fredericksburg, Austin, and Dallas)

-Hoping for a better quality of life- safer streets, cleaner air, larger home, larger yard, good public schools

We are concerned about the transition, and I'm sure it will take time, but we have money in the bank, and my husband will continue his art directing career here in LA, just a longer commute to projects. I will take a huge paycut as a teacher and need to be recertified for the state of TX, but am willing to do it for better family life.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalani View Post
Yes, think it's worth it. We're planning to do just that- move without secure jobs in place. But we are confident that it'll work out fine. Here're are reasons:

-Coming from So Cal where we've been priced out of the size home we want and standard of living for our young kids.

-Want to be closer to family (members from both sides in Fredericksburg, Austin, and Dallas)

-Hoping for a better quality of life- safer streets, cleaner air, larger home, larger yard, good public schools

We are concerned about the transition, and I'm sure it will take time, but we have money in the bank, and my husband will continue his art directing career here in LA, just a longer commute to projects. I will take a huge paycut as a teacher and need to be recertified for the state of TX, but am willing to do it for better family life.

I did the same without anything lined up, got complacent re the money in bank, and burned through a lot looking for work, far more than I thought.
Best advice is not to waste much time looking, and hit the market quick.
Money is tough to come by now, and easy to burn through. If you are taking a huge paycut, all the more so.
Best of luck..

Old 06-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks for your advice, scongress1234. We're definitely not going there totally unemployed. My husband is still employed, so we'll have some income. I, on the other hand, won't have my current job or income, so I'll need to hit the market, as you've mentioned, quick. I am trying to apply from here, but am having trouble doing that long distance. Hopefully I'll find something quickly after we've arrived there.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:18 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Thoughts on using the address and phone number of family in Austin? I'm a Texan exiled on the East Coast. All my family lives in Austin and I want to move back. But, with kids and currently a well paying job, I'm not just going to quit and move. Not asking for costs of flying down to interview or even moving expenses.
It's not a bad idea, but be careful. I read an article on Monster.com about the very subject, so it seems to me it's becoming quite popular. With that said, make sure you cover your tracks and don't slip up. Also be ready to interview at the drop of a hat, so that means have some $$ saved up for some expensive, last-minute plane tickets if you're out of state.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 AM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Thanks for your advice, scongress1234. We're definitely not going there totally unemployed. My husband is still employed, so we'll have some income. I, on the other hand, won't have my current job or income, so I'll need to hit the market, as you've mentioned, quick. I am trying to apply from here, but am having trouble doing that long distance. Hopefully I'll find something quickly after we've arrived there.
I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't get complacent. Austin is an easy place to get complacent in, being very laid-back. Unfortunately, before you know it, cash drains out quickly. If I knew how hard it was to get a long-term, decent-paying job in Austin, I would have hit it harder from day one. Best advice I can give...you are in a new area, and know hardly anyone. It will take time to make friends, contacts, and feel comfortable, let alone thrive. A national recession is hitting Austin too, though not to the extent of say Detroit or Ft. Myers. The local real estate market is down over 20% in deals done year-to-year, and many new residents and new graduates are hitting the job market this summer. It will be hard, and sacrifices will have to be made. Nothing is guaranteed, either, even with your husbands job. Just give it all you can, and things should fall into place given enough time.
Best of luck to you both!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM

Thanks scongress1234. You're right, there are never any guarantees wherever we are...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 21,591 times
Default Yes, it is worth it.

Quote:

I applaud your decision, Nalani. Unless you have a special skill that is highly sought after, it is hard to get interviews being a candidate from another city. In fact, politically-minded cities like Austin are a bit particular about giving locals priority, because hiring non-residents will not have any effect on the local unemployment rate. There's been some controversy in recent years of corporations that move in Austin with the promise of supplying more jobs, but not making any sort of a difference because they recruit talent from other states. Understandably, this has caused some tension among the locals.

Austin is not a place - it is a way of life. People from California who come here wanting to live in a large house and a luxurious lifestyle might be disappointed upon leaving the confines of their posh neighborhoods. The heart of Austin consists of two-laned roads wrapping around quirky neighborhoods and one-story local businesses with a grungy, almost run-down feel. Many of my friends from California who visit Austin wrinkle their noses at this element, preferring instead the sanitary, gentrified shadow of Austin situated north of the river.

If you come here without something lined up, make sure you have between 3 - 6 months of savings. Finding employment often takes alot longer than you expect it to. I moved here in February and just accepted a job offer today. I was really fortunate to have sources of income that carried me to this point, but there were times when I was running REALLY thin. Good luck to you and your family - I am sure that your decision will pay off.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
...make sure you cover your tracks and don't slip up. Also be ready to interview at the drop of a hat, so that means have some $$ saved up for some expensive, last-minute plane tickets if you're out of state.
That seems like a way to run out of money fast!

I'm still in somewhat of a quandry about how to approach this. My website won't be live for another few weeks, and I do have the option of going ahead and moving & staying with family till I find a job. I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. Not that I don't get along with my family, I just don't want to seem like a moocher. (I have this really stubborn independant streak that sometimes doesn't do me any favors.)

Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM

Nseindamembrane, thanks for the input. No worries about adjusting to the Austin lifestyle, as we're currently not living in a posh neighborhood. If we were, we probably wouldn't be moving in the first place! So Cal does have posh neighborhoods that show star in tv and the movies, but there are more non-posh neighborhoods. With high crime, high poverty rates, pollution, and overcrowded conditions, it's not unusual to see a 1200 sq ft, 3 bdrm older home with bars on the windows going for half a million, at least. And that's outside of LA, in the sketchy neighborhoods.

We're looking forward to the funky-ness of Austin. Though we've lived in California the past 5 years, we're not from here. I grew up in Seattle, WA, and miss the artsy, funky scene that is hard to find here in So Cal. We've visited Austin several times in the past 10 years, as my mother and sisters-in-law are native Texans, so this won't be moving on a whim. Our main reasons for coming to Austin are the lifestyle it offers and being closer to our family.

I am nervous about the transition, but excited for a change. Hopefully I will have as good of luck at finding work as I did when we moved here 5 years ago.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin