Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM

63 posts, read 244,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Well, wouldn't it depend on how long it had been on the market? I imagine that one could offer significantly lower on a house that has been vacant and on the market for 6 months.

Even in Eanes??? How low can you go??? Please advise Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM

152 posts, read 851,238 times
How about Cedar Park? Seems to be a pretty hot area.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM

260 posts, read 1,332,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabebe View Post
Even in Eanes??? How low can you go??? Please advise Thanks!!!
It really depends on the situation. Typically in Eanes because it is such a desirable place to live, if it has been on the market for a long time then it is priced too high. If it is priced too high and has been on the market for a while and they have not lowered the price then they are probably in no hurry to sell and don't need to sell.

Derek

Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM

If it is priced too high and has been on the market for a while and they have not lowered the price then they are probably in no hurry to sell and don't need to sell.

They actually reduce the price since it has been on the market more than 190 days now. Hopefully, we will be able to get a house we like. The property tax is the main reason that is kind of hold me back with this house. I read that the property tax is increasing, not decreasing this year. In Ann Arbor, the property tax actually has gone down a lot due to downsize of the auto industry and economy. Thanks for your comment!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM
OAC

53 posts, read 137,021 times
Property taxes are as high in some of areas of Austin as any in the country.

As for what you offer... if you've got cash and don't need to qualify for a mortgage, I think you take a big discount on your offer. I read earlier you risk ticking off the seller... well... get over it. It's a buyer's market. There are over 12 months of inventory in Lakeway/Lago Vista. Many homes are priced above $200/sq ft. Jumobs are difficult to get in the first place and if you do get one they are costly and will require 25% down. I think sellers have to wake up....2006 and 2007 are history. And should they not sell their homes this spring, they may be surprised about the discount they offer next spring.

My opinion is there are many listings where sellers could care less if they sell. They are hoping that they get some uninformed buyer from the west or the east to buy their homes at inflated prices. That's not to say that the market is dead. Good homes in good locations will sell. But you can't ignore the general trend.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,899,091 times
On the other hand, if you make a lowball offer and get it, it will help lower the property taxes for the rest of us with your comp

Also, you'll be able to protest your value and get it down to whatever you buy the house for; that's pretty much automatic. Plus the Eanes area is one of the lowest rates (1.88 in some places) with some of the most stable (or increasing) actual property values in the area.

anyway, good luck and hope you get a good deal!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 PM

We actually just put an offer 5K less than what our realtor recommended. It was NOT even 10% lower from seller's selling price. So, it's not bad to seller..... I assume. We try to stay out of Jumbo loan because the interest rate is awefully high and it does not worth to go through it if we cannot afford the house. A lot of people borrow more than what they can afford. That's why the foreclosure rate is going up nationwide.
BTW, thanks, OAC and atxcio!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 AM

746 posts, read 3,729,220 times
Simple......you won't know until you write the offer...as long as the realtor doesn't mind.
What's the worst they can do? Reject the offer is all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin