Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 PM

155 posts, read 502,581 times

Advertisements

ripvanbl - I just saw your post.

We did find a house in Steiner Ranch. After giving it a lot of thought we decided to focus on Steiner over Avery Ranch for a few reasons.

One of the main ones was the actual topography of the area. We thought that if we were going to live in Austin we should be someplace that was a little more like the hill country.

The concern with Avery Ranch was how easy it would be for the builder to replicate the subdivision which might create a situation where we might be competing with new construction.

It seems like there is a lot of undeveloped land north of Avery Ranch which made me think twice. For example, the Ranch at Brushy Creek is a few miles up Parmer, has many of the same builders, but the price point is a little less for the same product. As many here have mentioned new construction in Steiner is mainly out of our range, and there seems to be a finite amount of land due to the lakes, which I thought was a positive.

It also seems like I heard people talk about Steiner Ranch a lot, but never seemed to hear anything about Avery Ranch. While that is nothing to base a decision on, I thought it was interesting. Maybe it has something to do with the size of the community or just people's general interest. I'm not really sure.

While I can't really comment on the commute since we haven't moved yet, I did do the drive during morning and evening rush hour before buying. I was able to make it to/from work in 30-35 minute, which I thought was reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,810 times
We were in the same dilema - Avery Ranch vs. Steiner Ranch, when we visited Austin. We definitely liked the topography of Steiner better. But my spouse disliked the fact that it seemed so isolated from everything. We finally decided on Avery. The crime statistics was also another reason:
http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhood...ographics.aspx
Vs.
Moreover I hear that some areas of Avery are in the Leander ISD.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:10 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen View Post
We were in the same dilema - Avery Ranch vs. Steiner Ranch, when we visited Austin. We definitely liked the topography of Steiner better. But my spouse disliked the fact that it seemed so isolated from everything. We finally decided on Avery. The crime statistics was also another reason:
Vs.
Moreover I hear that some areas of Avery are in the Leander ISD.
It is unusual to post crime stat links, and then have the area you chose to actually have a higher crime index. Do you have a little "Charles Bronson" in you? Anyways, just curious.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
It is unusual to post crime stat links, and then have the area you chose to actually have a higher crime index. Do you have a little "Charles Bronson" in you? Anyways, just curious.
Well, under that link for Avery Ranch, there are two zip code, 78749 78717.

Click on 78717 (which from the map, is the right one for Avery Ranch, 78749 is far off) and compare.

Last edited by ramen; 05-19-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin