Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 08:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theengel View Post
Yes it shows the fence in question on the survey, it’s on my property from 5.5-8.5“.
No filed claims exist...I’m worried though if two years down the road they can attempt to claim adverse possession and since they are hostile I can’t really talk to them with common sense.
I wish .

First stop is a real estate attorney. Adverse possession is a bit more complicated than just using someone else's property (now - it used to be easier). The attorney will likely need to tell you that you need to let them know that their fence is on your property and that they need to remove it or you will be removing it and replacing it with a new fence.

You should be able, depending on county, to find out by going to the tax appraisal district and looking at the ownership history of the property when they purchased it. That might be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 5,341 times
I had my real estate agent check , last time their house sold was 1988, but their fence that’s encroaching is not that old. How old I’m not sure but not 20 years.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
I had my real estate agent check , last time their house sold was 1988, but their fence that’s encroaching is not that old. How old I’m not sure but not 20 years.
a landowner has 10 years to fix the problem.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:29 PM

And what if they haven’t filed for adverse possession within those 10 years?

Old 07-20-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
And what if they haven’t filed for adverse possession within those 10 years?

Ask your title company - they should have caught any such filing or cloud on title.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:23 PM

Talked to them today, nothing has been filed. Wonder if I should try to just send them a letter myself explaining to the neighbor the situation, this is so confusing a out what the right thing to do is

Old 07-20-2020, 09:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Talked to them today, nothing has been filed. Wonder if I should try to just send them a letter myself explaining to the neighbor the situation, this is so confusing a out what the right thing to do is
I know it is very, very tough going through these kinds of things. Property line and fence issues are really sensitive for both sides, anything the other neighbor does can feel like a very personal violation. Just know that this is not uncommon — I think just about every homeowner eventually deals with something like this. It happens, it’s bad for awhile, then things will get better one way or the other.

One other route you might look into... do you have an HOA? You could talk to them. They’d probably want an ACC application anyway for a new fence.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:11 AM

No HOA.... I’m torn if I should write my own letter first before involving an attorney , worried that a lawyers letter makes them more hostile ...

Old 07-21-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No HOA.... I’m torn if I should write my own letter first before involving an attorney , worried that a lawyers letter makes them more hostile ...

If you don't want to go the lawyer route to start, you say you're planning on replacing the fence down the road. Perhaps you could move that up, and tell them you're putting in a fence on your property line and your survey shows that the current fence is several inches onto your property and you'll be putting the new fence on your property line. `See what kind of reaction you get and that can tell you whether or not you want/need to talk to a lawyer. If their hostility over the fence hasn't convinced you already.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:07 AM

You might find this useful i determining your next step. Note that you need to move quickly now that you have discovered the discrepancy.

Findlaw Property Boundaries, Lines and Neighbors FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: