Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 02:01 PM

41 posts, read 119,898 times

Advertisements

I have a friend looking to move to NW Austin (Lakeline area probably) in September, who would like a 6-month lease.

With the pandemic, and colleges/universities largely online for the fall, is there a softening in the rental market? Should she be able to get a good deal -- even for a 6-month lease?

Or is the market as hot/tight as it has been for the past few years?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 04:27 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
It isn't as hot/tight as it has been but there hasn't been any real softening at big apartment complexes. The STR market though? Carnage! Many STR owners are more than willing to do longer term now, I'd start there.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:33 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
I moved in June. I signed my lease right as this stuff started. Maybe like the week of March 20th. Im nosy and check my old complex website every once in a while. My unit is still available for rent and they are offering incentives for signing leases. I was given six weeks free at my new place, again, this was early on. I check my current complex’s website that is showing no decrease in rent and the prices are typically high for the dinner, like $300 more a month then I signed in March.

I am a member of a sublease/leasing group for women in Austin. There are way more people looking to sublease/lease takeover their places then looking for a lease takeover/sublet. The issue with UT is that the se one you get in you need to secure housing so these students have had their apartments rented for ages and now don’t need them. And, no one ever thought of a pandemic as a legitimate reason to get out of a lease so they’re stuck. I think there was a story early on where parents were complaining. But, it was a luxury unit where the student was paying like $1500 a month. Like?! That’s ridiculous for a college student.

As far as six month leases, those are always ridiculously expensive. I think it just depends on where you look. I think now is really the time to use a locator since they have the skinny on deals.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:03 AM

41 posts, read 119,898 times
Thanks all. I will pass this along. Any locator services to recommend — to to avoid?

Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
My community, which doesn't usually have more than 2-3 open units now has 17 (last time I counted). They even put out a now leasing sign which they've never done before. The parking lot, which has been a huge issue (can't find parking in the evening), had about a half dozen spaces open at 7pm last night.

I just renewed my lease and saw that my floor plan is going for the same price I signed for 2 years ago. My rent went down $15 a month when I renewed this month.

When I was looking at other apartments before signing my lease, there was definitely something different. Prices are better and incentives are easy to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin