Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 11:54 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Passing along this information so everyone is updated and don't get caught off guard like my friends did this morning with the random rain that came in from Oklahoma

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...845.shtml?cone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 01:33 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I welcome it. As long as the winds are fairly mild before it gets to Austin.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I welcome it. As long as the winds are fairly mild before it gets to Austin.
You weren’t here for Harvey were you? It was four days straight of rain and tropical storm forced wind. A large tree in my apartment complex at the time almost fell on four cars. You should worry about the wind and flooding. Oh, and then drive form the road to San Antonio and talk to them about October 1998. The only way I won’t have any a lil anxiety is if it’s just a low that goes over us.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You weren’t here for Harvey were you? It was four days straight of rain and tropical storm forced wind. A large tree in my apartment complex at the time almost fell on four cars. You should worry about the wind and flooding. Oh, and then drive form the road to San Antonio and talk to them about October 1998. The only way I won’t have any a lil anxiety is if it’s just a low that goes over us.
Well, hopefully it doesn't flood but after last year, there's no way I'm saying no to rain.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well, hopefully it doesn't flood but after last year, there's no way I'm saying no to rain.
Recall that this is the flash flood capital of the world.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:04 PM

288 posts, read 812,050 times
If it follows the latest track shown, we'll be on the "clean" side of the storm and won't get a whole lot of rain out of it. If that track shifts 50-100 miles to the south, it's a whole different story though.

I'm with Camaro though. We desperately need even more rain. I say that as someone that was here for Harvey too. As I recall, the biggest issue was the resulting panic created "gas shortage".

Old 08-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
If it follows the latest track shown, we'll be on the "clean" side of the storm and won't get a whole lot of rain out of it. If that track shifts 50-100 miles to the south, it's a whole different story though.

I'm with Camaro though. We desperately need even more rain. I say that as someone that was here for Harvey too. As I recall, the biggest issue was the resulting panic created "gas shortage".
I just saw the updated track and am bummed. I agree we need the rain. I just don’t want all the extra things associated with it. It looks like maybe Marco and Laura may make a left turn and come bs k around for us, but it is way too early to make any specific predictions. The gas shortage thing was a mess.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:58 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
When I first stepped outside this morning around 9 am, the temperatures were the most comfortable they had been in several months. That rain storm last night must have washed the heavy humidity out of the air real good because the air felt so crisp and clean and fresh. For a few quick seconds I thought the fall had arrived early in Austin this year, then I remembered it's still August.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
When I first stepped outside this morning around 9 am, the temperatures were the most comfortable they had been in several months. That rain storm last night must have washed the heavy humidity out of the air real good because the air felt so crisp and clean and fresh. For a few quick seconds I thought the fall had arrived early in Austin this year, then I remembered it's still August.
Yeah I noticed that too I think we were mid 80's at Noon. For a second I thought my thermometer wasn't working.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:52 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Agreed, it was so refreshing going outside at 11:00 and not wilting under the hot sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin