Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times

Advertisements

I'll be completely honest here: I went to a very reputable breeder for my dog. I, too, had a specific breed of dog that I wanted (Border Terrier, for a myriad of reasons) and couldn't find one to rescue.

I love my dog to death. She is my baby and perfect and I will never regret getting her; HOWEVER, I feel horribly horribly guilty at paying for a dog instead of rescuing one. So many need homes and each one is special. I am generally a very honest person, but I actually lied to a good friend about rescuing my dog because I was too ashamed to admit getting her from a breeder. (this was after he went on and on about how people who got dogs from a breeder should be shot, having no idea I was one of the people he wanted to shoot. I wanted to die.)

Maybe you won't feel guilty about it. But I sure did/do. I will never NEVER go with a breeder again if/when I get another dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
This guy is only 2, lots of life and love left! Probably trained and housebroken.
Bassett Hound Mix, red/white, at shelter (http://austin.craigslist.org/pet/663884488.html - broken link)

Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 AM

206 posts, read 1,311,123 times
Thanks a ton folks. That was lot of useful information. I'll definitely consider adoption too.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:47 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'll be completely honest here: I went to a very reputable breeder for my dog. I, too, had a specific breed of dog that I wanted (Border Terrier, for a myriad of reasons) and couldn't find one to rescue.

I love my dog to death. She is my baby and perfect and I will never regret getting her; HOWEVER, I feel horribly horribly guilty at paying for a dog instead of rescuing one. So many need homes and each one is special. I am generally a very honest person, but I actually lied to a good friend about rescuing my dog because I was too ashamed to admit getting her from a breeder. (this was after he went on and on about how people who got dogs from a breeder should be shot, having no idea I was one of the people he wanted to shoot. I wanted to die.)

Maybe you won't feel guilty about it. But I sure did/do. I will never NEVER go with a breeder again if/when I get another dog.
Very nice comments.

Before we got our dog, I was absolutely set (and obsessed) with getting a German Short-Haired Pointer. I love outdoorsy-type dogs like the hunting and herding breeds, as I'm an avid hiker and love experiencing the outdoors with a hound. Well, one day I made the mistake of going to a local shelter just to "visit" the animals...we came home with a cute little black and white Beagle/Border Collie mix(we think), who has been the most wonderful dog!(I know, everyone thinks their dog is the best) The total cost was $50 plus the cost of spaying that we had to agree on when taking her home. Of course that was before she got hit by a car at 5 months old and required $2,000 worth of medical attention...we would gladly pay that 5 times over for this dog I love all types of dogs but I suppose I'm fond of the flaws and inconsistencies of mutts. They remind me of myself, so it's a good fit

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times
I too say adopt from a rescue or shelter. I would recommend a rescue over a shelter only because they usually know the dog's temperament and ailments better than a shelter. I adopted both my dogs: one from a shelter and one from a family going through a divorce. One was a pure bred, originally $1200, mini Australian Shepherd. My wife and I love them too death.

I would recommend that you get pet insurance so in case they are hit by a car, like above, or something else, the financial burden is not quite so bad. I pay $36/ month per dog and have already recouped that in vet reimbursements. I use VPI insurance.

Here are my two "kids".

Old 05-05-2008, 01:49 PM

76 posts, read 424,084 times
Blue Dog Rescue is run by some mighty fine folks...

Blue Dog Rescue

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM

27 posts, read 80,205 times
I've been in involved with animal shelters and rescue groups in various parts of the USA for more then 14 years. I can honestly say the best dogs I have ever been around, fostered, or made a part of my family have all come from shelters or a rescue.

....But if you're dead set on a pure breed, espcially that one (I hope you have some cash saved for the medical bills) check a rescue first, sometime they do have puppies.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
I only listed the breed club sites because it sounded like you wanted to go through a breeder, but I agree rescue is a great way to go. I got my Monty from the Midwest Corgi rescue (Lakeshore Pembroke Welsh Corgi Rescue, Inc) and he is the BEST dog in the world - sweet and mannerly, but also a complete goof ball.

I worked in cat rescue for 6-7 years (plus a couple of years transporting dogs for corgi rescue and now I do their web site) and am a firm supporter of rescue, but I think people should not be condemned if they want a particular breed of dog and they want to know that the parents have had health checks and that they received proper socialization as puppies. You can't guarantee that with a rescue. You can't guarantee it with a breeder either unless you do your homework. It can take a couple of years to become familiar with the "good" breeders.

I guess I'm a little hypocritical, however, in that I'm not as supportive of cat breeders. I guess it is because I feel that cats tend to be fairly perfect and already come in every shape, color and temperament without any "assistance" from people. Not that I'm prejudice....

Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
I agree - shop at a shelter or check with rescue organizations.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
All of our animals have come from shelters or rescues, and they are the greatest pets I've ever had. There are so many animals needing homes out there that I could never bring myself to buy from a store or a breeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin