Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 05:30 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
What I don't understand is why all these people are moving to Austin when they can easily pay $1M or more to live a block or two from homeless camps piled with garbage, medians all over the city with 6 foot tall weeds, graffiti, roads full of potholes, and horrible congestion. If they move here to party, well I guess it's here. Pretty good food as well. But what I'm hearing from newcomers is how overrated this place is. There are cities all over the country that are nicer with a lower cost of living.
They hear the hype and move here sight unseen not knowing those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 06:25 AM

11,854 posts, read 8,074,133 times
Well FWIW our roads do suck but most inner-city roads are filled with potholes. Take a drive in Chicago… one road trip up there took out one of my wheel bearings and I had to get it fixed before I could drive home.

The tall grass though is an issue. I wish the city took better care of the landscape surrounding roads. It causes blind spots when at intersections too.

The homeless camps under 290 and also 183 though are becoming out right unruly. It should be criminal to have allowed it to get that bad.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:23 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,379,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
What I don't understand is why all these people are moving to Austin when they can easily pay $1M or more to live a block or two from homeless camps piled with garbage, medians all over the city with 6 foot tall weeds, graffiti, roads full of potholes, and horrible congestion. If they move here to party, well I guess it's here. Pretty good food as well. But what I'm hearing from newcomers is how overrated this place is. There are cities all over the country that are nicer with a lower cost of living.
Yes, but it hasn’t always been that way. The suckage has been exacerbated by the worst city council & mayor since WW2.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
They hear the hype and move here sight unseen not knowing those issues.
This is correct.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well FWIW our roads do suck but most inner-city roads are filled with potholes. Take a drive in Chicago… one road trip up there took out one of my wheel bearings and I had to get it fixed before I could drive home.

The tall grass though is an issue. I wish the city took better care of the landscape surrounding roads. It causes blind spots when at intersections too.

The homeless camps under 290 and also 183 though are becoming out right unruly. It should be criminal to have allowed it to get that bad.
Agree 100%.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:42 AM

550 posts, read 499,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yes, but it hasn’t always been that way. The suckage has been exacerbated by the worst city council & mayor since WW2.
I frequent quite a few online forums and I have never encountered a bigger bitterman than you.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:23 PM

435 posts, read 455,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I frequent quite a few online forums
That's a massive self-admitted L.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I frequent quite a few online forums and I have never encountered a bigger bitterman than you.
Not bitter at all.
My comments about the local politics are a result of decades of first & second hand personal experience with those of whom I speak. If the general populace knew how they were being ruled, they might find a lot to criticize too.
But on the other hand, I know a lot who are aware, but they don’t waste their time on these social media platforms like I do. Then again, I’m retired, long moved out of Austin, and have fun pointing out the folly show that plagues the city.

Apparently you don’t read many of the C-D forums.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:29 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,776,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Have values declined any?
No, they are still going up.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:30 PM

550 posts, read 499,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
That's a massive self-admitted L.
Guy on Internet forum criticizes guy for being on Internet forum.

I’m semi retired unlike scopro.

In 20 years I’ll probably be yelling at clouds, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin