Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 03:34 PM

11,782 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

I thought scopro was also retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 03:37 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
Guy on Internet forum criticizes guy for being on Internet forum.

I’m semi retired unlike scopro.

In 20 years I’ll probably be yelling at clouds, too!
Hah, my avatar on another board is a picture of Abe Simpson!

Old 06-25-2021, 03:38 PM

550 posts, read 497,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
He is. I’m semi retired unlike him. He is fully retired.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:40 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yes, have been retired for more than 20 years.
Had a piddling job or two afterwards just to keep busy, but more recently being an annoyance on the Internet has been a fun hobby.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:43 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
My Darling(who has a degree in interior design) surely wouldn't pick that style IF circumstances were different. We are in a townhouse style condo now, so having our own yard would be a plus and the master on main WITH the bonus room upstairs has an appeal unlike a trad two-story.
We had a three-bay side entry garage at the "big house"; but it's likely over $700K now and I ain't payin' taxes on THAT!!!

Something about beggars being choosers in this market.
I think the tax difference between the two isn't that vast as you'd like to think. The new smaller homes are at inflated prices, usually in MUDS etc., and as a result your tax bill can easily still be five figures. A $500k home in my area of Round Rock, with a 2.24 tax rate) will result in a tax bill of 10k I think. Imagine in a MUD.

There are 1.5 story homes but they arent' usually small.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:48 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
But that's the problem, you sell your 900K Colorado house to move here...and find that many homes are also 900k, or close.

Case in point, one -- exactly one -- home went up for sale in my neighborhood today and this time the sellers are asking 875k... the asking price has risen approx 300k in six months. And each time I thought no way, the homes end up going under contract..for over asking. I guess when a 700k home a month ago closed at 850k, it'd make sense to price a home today in the 800s...

I think they'll get it too even if the homes are 30 years old and older...
A million dollars in parts of California and New York get you 2000 square feet and older. It still goes pretty far here.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A million dollars in parts of California and New York get you 2000 square feet and older. It still goes pretty far here.
Depending on where you go in Austin you’re not gonna get a palace for a mil either.

Which is probably why the migration is a boon for the suburbs…though I don’t consider 875k with a nice hefty tax bill “affordable”

Old 06-26-2021, 06:32 PM

435 posts, read 453,598 times
Quote:
Guy on Internet forum criticizes guy for being on Internet forum.

I’m semi retired unlike scopro.

In 20 years I’ll probably be yelling at clouds, too!
A) Being on a forum and B) bragging about frequenting multiple online forums while using cringe reddit insults like this:

Quote:
I frequent quite a few online forums and I have never encountered a bigger bitterman than you.
... are not the same thing.

BTW "semi-retired" is what people who are too broke to actually retire say to gain validation. Enjoy social security, I guess. Cheers

Old 06-27-2021, 08:15 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Depending on where you go in Austin you’re not gonna get a palace for a mil either.

Which is probably why the migration is a boon for the suburbs…though I don’t consider 875k with a nice hefty tax bill “affordable”
Look at New Jersey. The NYC 'burbs are still way more expensive than Austin. And NJ has the highest tax rate in the country.

The fact of the matter is that there are still a lot of areas that are more expensive than Austin. If you are downtown, you're not going to get much, but that's true of LA, SF, or NYC too. And you will still get a hell of a lot more downtown here than you will in Manhattan.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Look at New Jersey. The NYC 'burbs are still way more expensive than Austin. And NJ has the highest tax rate in the country.

The fact of the matter is that there are still a lot of areas that are more expensive than Austin. If you are downtown, you're not going to get much, but that's true of LA, SF, or NYC too. And you will still get a hell of a lot more downtown here than you will in Manhattan.
I understand that. Remember I come from NYC. I never said that there aren't places that are more expensive than Austin. Those cities one can argue are hyper-expensive and not indicative of a good chunk of the country. My point was that Austin and its surrounding areas are becoming increasingly expensive when you factor in the housing price plus the taxes. There are many people relocating who are amazed that they can't get a palace with views for the price they can comfortably afford. They don't WANT to necessarily spend 800k if they don't have to, but they have to because of the bidding wars with other transplants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin