Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 06:41 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You cant look at absolute prices, look at $/sq ft. Austin is much higher than most of those areas (not westlake hills).

Austin schools are bad because instead of focusing on education they are focused on social justice. They especially want to teach to the "whole child" instead of making sure that poor kids have the basics and can do well on the standardized tests.

If the poor kids could do well on the standardized tests, then more people would go to those schools.
That couldn't be more wrong. And those standardized tests are complete bullpucky. I'm not against some kind of annual evaluation, but the tests we use are absolutely horrible and not an accurate measure of knowledge. They aren't even developmentally appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 07:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That couldn't be more wrong. And those standardized tests are complete bullpucky. I'm not against some kind of annual evaluation, but the tests we use are absolutely horrible and not an accurate measure of knowledge. They aren't even developmentally appropriate.
this is the kind of thinking that exists and is why the schools are failing. The irony is that enrollment is dropping because even progressive parents know that the schools have an agenda other than making sure kids have the most skills possible. "The soft bigotry of low expectations".

The tests are very rudimentary skills for each grade level. The kids cant even pass the rudimentary tests which absolutely are an accurate measure of rudimentary knowledge. The tests are simply basic reading, math, and science. Learning isnt always fun, skipping all the not fun work reduces learning. Asians know this which is why they are dominating everyone in education.

All of the research hasnt produced better outcomes, in fact the outcomes are worse than 30-50 years ago. Educational research is hardly science so citing it is really just an appeal to authority logical fallacy.

rote memorization and worksheet practice are reduced for "real world problems". This is absolutely failing. I have seen this with my own kids. They might get 3-4 real world problems/day. The problems are actually good problems, but the problems are too long and the kids simply dont get enough math practice. The lack of practice means that their basic math is too slow, so I have to supplement with standard boring worksheets. Poor/uneducated families cant do this. I agree that solving the word problems is an important skill, but the basic calculations are more important. You earn your way to "real world" problems by mastering the basic calculations.

Learning vocabulary is reduced and labeled "drill and kill", while holistic "teaching to the whole child" is emphasized. The result is kids that cant do basic math problems quickly, meaning they will struggle with advanced math and kids that can barely read because they simply dont know the words.

This guy improved the outcomes in east austin schools but his techniques are vilified as "drill and kill".

Held Back

Quote:
The year before Helwig started, 82 percent of students passed the reading test. Scores ticked up a little after his first year, but by the second year, 96 percent of students passed.

In just two years, Graham students were performing as well as students on the other side of town, where there was little poverty. And district data obtained by KUT show Graham students continued to do much better on state standardized tests compared to students from other low-income schools.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
this is the kind of thinking that exists and is why the schools are failing. The irony is that enrollment is dropping because even progressive parents know that the schools have an agenda other than making sure kids have the most skills possible. "The soft bigotry of low expectations".

The tests are very rudimentary skills for each grade level. The kids cant even pass the rudimentary tests which absolutely are an accurate measure of rudimentary knowledge. The tests are simply basic reading, math, and science. Learning isnt always fun, skipping all the not fun work reduces learning. Asians know this which is why they are dominating everyone in education.

All of the research hasnt produced better outcomes, in fact the outcomes are worse than 30-50 years ago. Educational research is hardly science so citing it is really just an appeal to authority logical fallacy.

rote memorization and worksheet practice are reduced for "real world problems". This is absolutely failing. I have seen this with my own kids. They might get 3-4 real world problems/day. The problems are actually good problems, but the problems are too long and the kids simply dont get enough math practice. The lack of practice means that their basic math is too slow, so I have to supplement with standard boring worksheets. Poor/uneducated families cant do this. I agree that solving the word problems is an important skill, but the basic calculations are more important. You earn your way to "real world" problems by mastering the basic calculations.

Learning vocabulary is reduced and labeled "drill and kill", while holistic "teaching to the whole child" is emphasized. The result is kids that cant do basic math problems quickly, meaning they will struggle with advanced math and kids that can barely read because they simply dont know the words.

This guy improved the outcomes in east austin schools but his techniques are vilified as "drill and kill".

Held Back
Have you actually seen the tests? Not sure where you got your Child Development degree, but mine's from Texas State. And I only worked in education (both in and out of the classroom) for 8 years, so perhaps you have more experience than I do.

Research shows exactly what we should be doing, but the tests we use and rules schools must follow go against pretty much all the research.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:19 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Funny, I guess things have changed. I subbed all over Austin (including Eanes) many years ago, and it was the kids at Eanes that were problematic. They knew they couldn't really get in trouble because money and influence were on their (parents) side.
And yet their high schools like Westlake are consistently ranked among the highest in the nation:

In 2011, Westlake was ranked 72 on Newsweek Magazine's list of America's top High Schools. In 2012, Westlake was #160 in the Newsweek poll. In 2013, Westlake was #93 [6] and in 2014, Westlake was #117. In high school rankings by The Washington Post, Westlake was #136 in 2014 and 2013. In 2012, it was #106 in The Washington Post poll, #59 in 2011, and #52 in 2010.

If my high school produced a Drew Brees I wouldn't profess a false modesty and downplay it.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:09 AM

539 posts, read 441,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
And yet their high schools like Westlake are consistently ranked among the highest in the nation:

In 2011, Westlake was ranked 72 on Newsweek Magazine's list of America's top High Schools. In 2012, Westlake was #160 in the Newsweek poll. In 2013, Westlake was #93 [6] and in 2014, Westlake was #117. In high school rankings by The Washington Post, Westlake was #136 in 2014 and 2013. In 2012, it was #106 in The Washington Post poll, #59 in 2011, and #52 in 2010.

If my high school produced a Drew Brees I wouldn't profess a false modesty and downplay it.
Agreed. There is a "culture of failure" at a majority of the AISD schools, and it affects all kids, rich and poor, which is why the wealthy (not the poor) are leaving for other districts.

The "product and services" that AISD provides is not of a good enough quality for upper class families, and the cost is too much for poor families, so it's screwed. this is happening because it focuses on a social justice agenda, instead of teaching the basics.

Example: The book club at Barton Hills Elementary is currently reading "How to be an Anti-racist". Maybe they should focus their energy on drilling my 8 year with STEM subjects, instead. I would rather my kid have the tools to succeed, not be brainwashed into a life of mediocrity and white guilt.

The argument that charters are sapping talent from AISD is BS too. Explain how Trinity Episcopal, St. Michael's, St. Andrews and others can exist within Eanes, yet Eanes remains the top district in the state of Texas?

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/eanes-in...l-district-tx/

Last edited by cheeva; 03-17-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-17-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

Wealth has a direct correlation to academic success.

http://www.ascd.org/publications/boo...rformance.aspx

Old 03-17-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Wealth has a direct correlation to academic success.
wealth = success
success = wealth

What about it???

If the parents had a "culture of success" then their kids and their campuses would too. Wealth or lack thereof, is no excuse.

There are 1000's of Asian families in the Westwood track that prove this. Many came here poorer than the families in Del Valle, and they didn't accept mediocrity.

Last edited by cheeva; 03-17-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-17-2021, 09:56 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Agreed. There is a "culture of failure" at a majority of the AISD schools, and it affects all kids, rich and poor, which is why the wealthy (not the poor) are leaving for other districts.

The "product and services" that AISD provides is not of a good enough quality for upper class families, and the cost is too much for poor families, so it's screwed. this is happening because it focuses on a social justice agenda, instead of teaching the basics.

Example: The book club at Barton Hills Elementary is currently reading "How to be an Anti-racist". Maybe they should focus their energy on drilling my 8 year with STEM subjects, instead. I would rather my kid have the tools to succeed, not be brainwashed into a life of mediocrity and white guilt.

The argument that charters are sapping talent from AISD is BS too. Explain how Trinity Episcopal, St. Michael's, St. Andrews and others can exist within Eanes, yet Eanes remains the top district in the state of Texas?

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/eanes-in...l-district-tx/
Why are you sending your kids to Barton hills if AISD is a “failure”? Are you a member of the AISD kids First group?

Old 03-17-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why are you sending your kids to Barton hills if AISD is a “failure”?
Friend of mine does, and she's getting fed up with the culture, too.

BTW, Barton Hills is an 'okay' school by all academic measurements (TEA, Greatschools, Niche, Schooldigger) Considering the houses in Barton Hills are around 900K average (more expensive than RR, cheaper than Westlake), why can't AISD provide a level of quality and rigor to match the neighborhood demographics? For the price (which MANY people could afford) why aren't the schools better?

Old 03-17-2021, 10:04 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Friend of mine does, and she's getting fed up with the culture, too.

BTW, Barton Hills is an 'okay' school by all academic measurements (TEA, Greatschools, Niche, Schooldigger) Considering the houses in Barton Hills are around 900K average (more expensive than RR, cheaper than Westlake), why can't AISD provide a level of quality and rigor to match the neighborhood demographics? For the price (which MANY people could afford) why aren't the schools better?
FUNDING. You aren’t understanding what everyone is telling you. It’s like talking to a wall. Also defining success as wealth and wealth as success is ridiculous. Many families, throughout the world define success as happy healthy kids, not money. But okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin