Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 11:00 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

as for covid, Travis County still has a mask mandate in place. some places follow to the T, others don't. If you're not vaccinated, I personally wouldn't commingle with a bunch of tightly packed people, but that's just me.

normal, post-covid, is an interesting term. in some ways things are improving, in other ways no, we're not at normal yet. some places have closed. Abbott's lifting of restrictions isn't some magic wand.

what IS encouraging is more and more people are getting vaccinated so that hopefully soon things will return to a true sense of normalcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
The OP will need to really choose either SA or Austin. You can't really live "conveniently" between them. The mid-point is San Marcos, and that could be 90 minutes to Austin in weekday traffic, 60 in weekend traffic. Not sure about traffic into SA.

For reference, I've lived in Austin for 15 years, and I've been to SA, maybe 10 times, or once every 1.5 years on average. LOTS of people come in from SA to Austin on the weekend to party.
Your austin snobbery is showing. there arent "LOTS" of people coming to Austin to party on the weekend. San Antonio has a very vibrant nightlife scene. I go there more frequently than you so I know this.

OP, San Antonio, I'd visit as well whether you want to live there or not. It is more than just the Riverwalk. It has a special cultural charm to it similar to New Orleans and is worth checking out.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:09 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
The OP will need to really choose either SA or Austin. You can't really live "conveniently" between them. The mid-point is San Marcos, and that could be 90 minutes to Austin in weekday traffic, 60 in weekend traffic. Not sure about traffic into SA.

For reference, I've lived in Austin for 15 years, and I've been to SA, maybe 10 times, or once every 1.5 years on average. LOTS of people come in from SA to Austin on the weekend to party.
I know plenty of people that live in New Braunfels and come up to Austin or go to SA frequently. There’s even been people who have posted here saying they live in NB and work in Austin. It’s all a tolerance level. I drive 5-10 minutes fir work. Anything beyond that bugs me. But, for others 90 minutes could be fine. And fwiw, I have a family member that drives from UTSA to exit 205 for work, and has since 1999.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:36 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I particularly am one who can endure a super commute but a committed daily commute between the burbs of SATX and AUS is one I would avoid mainly due to how unpredictable and how much road work is on I-35. I had a co-worker who did it to the northern section of Austin, he hated every minute of it.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I particularly am one who can endure a super commute but a committed daily commute between the burbs of SATX and AUS is one I would avoid mainly due to how unpredictable and how much road work is on I-35. I had a co-worker who did it to the northern section of Austin, he hated every minute of it.
Did the drive today. Left southeast Austin at 10:45 with a lil 20 minute detour in new Braunfels to pick something up. Got to SA right at 1pm. It’s one of the longer drives I’ve had recently. I don’t hate doing it but obviously don’t all the time. The construction was ridiculous. From slaughter all the way to 1604 and 35 there was something going on.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 AM

44 posts, read 75,397 times
Thank you all for the information, hadn’t figured the distance to be that far (Texas is deceptively big), and some early reading kept referring to NB as basically a suburb of SA. Wife was recently looking at other info and crime rates are apparently pretty high in SA. I was hoping for there, but I think she has shifted her focus to more of the areas further North

Old 04-03-2021, 08:45 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I consider New Braunsfel a exhurb of SATX. would imagine you would be okay in the suburbs of SATX if crime is an issue. The #1 priority though should be living as close as you can to work. I definitely wouldn’t settle down in SATX while knowing that you have to commute to AUS daily, and vice versa as well.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:12 AM

You’re not living in Chicago or south central Los Angeles if you move to San Antonio. Property crime skews the statistics, but I think it’s pretty similar to Austin crime wise. You’d be fine in San Antonio. Don’t discount it. It’s much cheaper then Austin. Pop over to the SA forum to get some more local feedback.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamoguy View Post
Thank you all for the information, hadn’t figured the distance to be that far (Texas is deceptively big), and some early reading kept referring to NB as basically a suburb of SA. Wife was recently looking at other info and crime rates are apparently pretty high in SA. I was hoping for there, but I think she has shifted her focus to more of the areas further North
Austin has plenty of property crime as well. There is also violent crime that has been rising lately. When there's growth, the crime rate rises as well.

There are areas of SA that have low crime rates as well. You have to go by neighborhood by neighborhood, not just data you find on the internet.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:38 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I consider New Braunsfel a exhurb of SATX. would imagine you would be okay in the suburbs of SATX if crime is an issue. The #1 priority though should be living as close as you can to work. I definitely wouldn’t settle down in SATX while knowing that you have to commute to AUS daily, and vice versa as well.
It may be an 'exhurb' by defintion (whatever that is), but for practical purposes it may as well be a suburb. A commute from New Braunfels proper into NORTH San Antonio for work probably wouldn't be too bad, especially early in the morning. But the drive home would be hit and miss. It doesn't take much to slow down I-35, no matter where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin