Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:45 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times

Advertisements

If this were Dallas, Denver, Vegas, or any other city with smog problems, I'd understand it, but I'm surprised it's here.

Noticed it a couple of days ago, thought maybe it was the thinnest of very high clouds, but that's not it, it's haze.

No fires around, it's been breezy but it's not likely dust...what gives?

Mainly, I'm surprised it's present on a weekend (less traffic which is more spread out through the day), and thick enough at ground level to notice over a distance of 'bout 500'.

I guess what gets me is I don't remember it from 15 years ago. I know, things change, but still....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
The haze has been here for as long as I can remember. It coincides with high humidity days. I don't think it's pollution, but I don't know for sure -- perhaps that is a contributor. But I think it has more to do with humidity and various pollen/dust in the air. I guess you can find out by driving out of town about 25-30 miles and see if it's any different.

Now, we have had incidents of smoke in the air from Mexican agricultural fires. In the late 90's there were some really bad days -- but you could smell the smoke. Still have that occaisionally, but the news will usually report it. We've also had incidents (although I've heard this happens more in SA) where dust gets kicked up in West Texas where it is dry, and moves here in the humid air. In SA there has been mud rain as a result.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times
Yeah, growing up in Dallas, I remember the rare, thankfully, mud storm.

I guess I'll keep an eye on the haze tomorrow, 'cause we're headed to Dallas for family. It could be something similar to a really light fog....

Smoke is definitely different. We've become almost inured to it, after a few years in Vegas, which is the first stop for the oh-so-common So Cal fires, and when we lived in the CO mountains, (Bailey, in Park county...yes, as in South Park) it was close enough a slight wind change could have you up @ 3 AM looking to see if the flames are closing on your house. Spent three days with the cars packed solid with stuff we could save, and didn't leave the house, 'cause once you left, you weren't let back in. Fine by me.

There was literally room for one person and one cat, in each car.

It's impressive to see 250 gallon propane tanks lighting off like mortars. Sure, you're a solid mile away, but the 'boom' is unforgettable.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:54 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Humid Gulf Air?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 AM

323 posts, read 829,538 times
Grew up in Austin and Killeen. Had haze in both places. Don't think it is pollution based. Maybe just the warm humid air as others have stated.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
I am pretty sure it has to do with humidity as the "haze" disappears once everything dries out. From what I remember reading, the higher humidity allows particulates in the air to attach to the water particles, thus increasing their size. Once enough of this happens, it starts bending light noticeably enough to create a haze effect.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Speaking of haze...Did anyone see that weird vertical half rainbow blob this afternoon in Round Rock? I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for it, but I've never seen anything like it.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Yes, that haze is pollution based, although the weather conditions contribute greatly to it. The low winds allow the pollution from Friday to add to the new pollution today. The unburned organics from cars (and drips/vapor from gas stations) mix with the NOx from the engines and cook under the direct sun and hot temperatures. That haze is probably indicating a very high ozone concentration.

There are other clarity effects from weather conditions (such as the humidity mentioned above), but I don't think I ever saw the haze prior to ~1985 and it grows with the population.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,204 times
Our skies will be hazy this week in Austin, due to smoke from agricultural fires burning in southern Mexico and Central America. Leaves of sugar cane are set on fire to make it easier to harvest. Winds bring the smoke into Central Texas each year. According to the TCEQ, our air quality in Austin on Friday is likely to be in the moderate category. - According to KVUE Austin.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I was just going to say this is the right time of year for the smoke from Mexico to appear. In the past it was in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: