Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:26 AM

539 posts, read 441,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
This is the city's plan to make us beg to rescind the camping ban - take our parks. I don't know how much more evidence anyone would need to see the antagonistic relationship the city "leadership" has with its tax paying, law abiding residents.
I agree - putting our public parks on a list of potential camping spots was a vile and vindictive maneuver by the city council. Specifically Adler and Casar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 11:34 AM

For those liberal smart-as*es who will who ask me: "WELL, what is YOUR solution, HUH????" I'll stop you right there, because I have an answer.

There are 3 types of homeless: Crazy, Lazy, and Other

Crazy: Put them in a psych hospital, if they don't want that, tell them to GTFO of Austin, If they don't do that, arrest them and put them in jail when they break the law (camping, littering , theft, graffiti, etc.)

Lazy: People living the "lifestyle". Tell them to get a job, or GTFO out Austin. If they don't do that, arrest them and put them in jail when they break the law (camping, littering , theft, graffitti, etc.)

Other: Give them services, housing and job placement. If they can't get their **** together in 3 months, they obviously belogn in group #2 (lazy) and they need to GTFO of Austin, If they don't do that, arrest them and put them in jail when they break the law (camping, littering , theft, graffiti, etc.)

Old 05-19-2021, 12:20 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Where's the incentive for these people to move on? For a lot of people three hot meals, a shower, and a cot is enough. If you really wanted to, you could spend your day hanging out, reading/screwing around, or doing drugs, then go back to your camp. Heck if I didn't have a wife or kids and wanted to take a break from work, I'd say this isn't a bad gig. Save my money, and live on the taxpayers dime.
This is why I think tents are better than hotels

1) holds a lot more people
2) Outside land can heal itself, doesnt require nearly as much cleaning
3) Very inexpensive facilities
4) tents arent that comfortable and so people have a moderate incentive to improve their situation

I think hotels, community first, and other indoor spaces are good once people have shown that they want to improve their situation.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:36 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
For those liberal smart-as*es who will who ask me: "WELL, what is YOUR solution, HUH????" I'll stop you right there, because I have an answer.

There are 3 types of homeless: Crazy, Lazy, and Other

Crazy: Put them in a psych hospital, if they don't want that, tell them to GTFO of Austin, If they don't do that, arrest them and put them in jail when they break the law (camping, littering , theft, graffiti, etc.)

Lazy: People living the "lifestyle". Tell them to get a job, or GTFO out Austin. If they don't do that, arrest them and put them in jail when they break the law (camping, littering , theft, graffitti, etc.)

Other: Give them services, housing and job placement. If they can't get their **** together in 3 months, they obviously belogn in group #2 (lazy) and they need to GTFO of Austin, If they don't do that, arrest them and put them in jail when they break the law (camping, littering , theft, graffiti, etc.)
Crazy: What psych hospital? I know people who have been trying to find a bed for their son for damn near two years. There are none. They can't find one bed, how to we suddenly create thousands of them? And even if they did have some, who's paying for it? They cost about $8K per month per patient.

Lazy: How do you make them get a job? How do they get to that job? How do do you force someone out of Austin?

Other: This group is by and large NOT chronically homeless and not the ones you see camping on the street. Most of this group does take advantage of services. But continuing problems such as a lack of affordable childcare and low wages makes it a tough place to get out of.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Crazy: What psych hospital? I know people who have been trying to find a bed for their son for damn near two years. There are none. They can't find one bed, how to we suddenly create thousands of them? And even if they did have some, who's paying for it? They cost about $8K per month per patient.

Lazy: How do you make them get a job? How do they get to that job? How do do you force someone out of Austin?

Other: This group is by and large NOT chronically homeless and not the ones you see camping on the street. Most of this group does take advantage of services. But continuing problems such as a lack of affordable childcare and low wages makes it a tough place to get out of.
Do you ever OFFER anything else besides EXCUSES??

1. Crazy: https://hhs.texas.gov/services/menta...tate-hospitals If there are no hospital rooms, put the nut-jobs in a camp separated from the other 2 groups, and send mobile mental health services. That's a much better idea than letting them wander around shopping centers and the hike-and-bike trail where they have assaulted and stabbed random people.

2. Lazy: No Job = vagrancy. Vagrancy leads to other types of crime, Crime = Jail. They don't like jail? Then they can GTFO of Austin.

3. Other: If they can't afford Austin, they need to move. There is no god-given right to live where you can't afford. This attitude is why we have vagrants that refuse to leave.

Last edited by cheeva; 05-19-2021 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 01:53 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
Where's the incentive for these people to move on? For a lot of people three hot meals, a shower, and a cot is enough. If you really wanted to, you could spend your day hanging out, reading/screwing around, or doing drugs, then go back to your camp. Heck if I didn't have a wife or kids and wanted to take a break from work, I'd say this isn't a bad gig. Save my money, and live on the taxpayers dime.
Even with all of these "perks" I'm pretty certain no one wants to be a bum. I know I wouldn't.

that applies to anything having to do with the government. The perk of working and having your stuff together is that you wouldn't have to live in an open air tent city, amongst down and outers and nutjobs.
or having to live in substandard housing because the government is subsidizing it (in NYC that would be housing projects).

I don't know, I want more than three meals, a shower, and a cot, so I work to have more.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:30 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Even with all of these "perks" I'm pretty certain no one wants to be a bum. I know I wouldn't.

that applies to anything having to do with the government. The perk of working and having your stuff together is that you wouldn't have to live in an open air tent city, amongst down and outers and nutjobs.
or having to live in substandard housing because the government is subsidizing it (in NYC that would be housing projects).

I don't know, I want more than three meals, a shower, and a cot, so I work to have more.
Unfortunately there are also those who also give up on themselves though. My aunt for example .. .. she 'wants' more but she's unwilling to go through the means necessary to obtain what she wants, she wants it to be hers without having to work for it. There's a long story of psychological decay that happened to her much earlier in her life (She was spoiled as a child, was the 'barbie' everyone wanted to date, everyone, especially her boyfriends always gave her what she wanted (even a Porsche) to her and she never had to learn how to be responsible, anything she lost could quickly and easily be recovered. She later at the pinnacle of her career was laid off then things crashed in a bad marriage, and she never psychologically recovered and never chose to strive, today she lives in a hotel she complains about when they threaten to move her out when she doesn't pay on time, my mother constantly tries to find her better housing and has succeeded in making many deals for her but when it comes time for my aunt to put the will to work to obtain the house, she never does. in a sense she felt entitled... ...life slowly moved on, she continued living in the past.) My nephew (manic and Bi-Polar) would be another example who completely out-right refused to receive psychological help and he even had cases where he would become violent for no apparent reason with my mother / father who were trying to help him. He ended up moving to Los Angeles where he eventually lost his job and home and went rouge on the streets for awhile before returning to Atlanta where he is 'slowly' accepting the fact that he does need help but it's been a very long and very bitter process.

They aren't living in a tent - no, and I'm sure not everyone out there wants to be a 'bum' but what I personally wonder is if they were all give a opportunity to escape, would they cease that opportunity and never return or would they hold onto their addictions and the past.. ..their currently living circumstances are very much a mere reflection of psychological conditioning manifested outward to reality... I guess what I am trying to say is, all of them would probably say they want better living conditions, but how many of them would fully go through everything it takes to obtain it?

I agree that once you get to that level the means of escaping seem very daunting in terms of escaping and escaping it isn't just -moving out of the tent and into a house- there are severe psychological concerns that also have to be addressed as well - yes they want better but it's more difficult to achieve better than just moving out of the tent and many are not willing to go through that process, especially not alone. It does appear that they are trapped (although there are success stories scattered about, such as one that went through rehabilitation and is now living in a home & working - which was a city-assisted project).. Rehabilitation is another matter, its success rate is relatively low.

I personally feel they are people who do need help but I feel the city is being alittle 'too' lenient on the matter by allowing them to camp where they choose. I don't agree with jailing them - but giving them free reign over the city is kind of.. ..an issue IMO. They do need social services but like stated before I wouldn't be shocked if many of them would simply put refuse help if it were offered to them and they had to go through steps that they either didn't agree with or were intimidated by, some don't want to accept that they are sick, and even the ones that do is a very long and heavy path to recovery with many stumbling blocks along the way.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-19-2021 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 02:40 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:

1. Crazy: https://hhs.texas.gov/services/menta...tate-hospitals If there are no hospital rooms, put the nut-jobs in a camp separated from the other 2 groups, and send mobile mental health services. That's a much better idea than letting them wander around shopping centers and the hike-and-bike trail where they have assaulted and stabbed random people.

2. Lazy: No Job = vagrancy. Vagrancy leads to other types of crime, Crime = Jail. They don't like jail? Then they can GTFO of Austin.

3. Other: If they can't afford Austin, they need to move. There is no god-given right to live where you can't afford. This attitude is why we have vagrants that refuse to leave.
Crazy: So your against camps, but you want to put these folks in camps. Did I get that right? Where should be put those camps that you don't want but ssay we should have? Where do we get the mental health professionals from, because there aren't enough. That's part of the problem. And even if we did, again, who's paying for that? I don't see where you're really offering a solution to this either. If it were up to me, everyone would have access to healthcare, inclusing mental healthcare, but something tells me you are against any kind of universal healthcare plan.

Lazy: Again, how to you propose we force people to leave and keep them from ever coming back? Again, I don't see where you offer a solution.

Other: Again, how to you force people to move and not come back? And low wages and high costs of things like childare are universal and not specific to Austin. Again, I don't see any solutions you propose.

Look, I'm not saying it's a not a problem. I'm just saying it's not that easy to fix and it goes well beyond just "get a job." If it were that easy, it wouldn't be a problem. It also goes far beyond Austin and involves state and federal programs and money, which the City of Austin has no control over.

I think the Community First Village is a good example of addressing the problem(s). The city could probably learn a thing or two from them.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:23 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:

1) "They" is some particular ones. Luckily in the US you dont go to jail until you are convicted of a crime. Just being mentally ill isnt a crime. We should jail people that are violent, but the others that are simply a nuisance, ugly to look at, or smelly should not be jailed.

2) the constitution guarantees us a right to peaceably assemble. Not having a place to live/just existing cant be a crime. An inexpensive solution is tent cities. The city should provide them. This has been my solution from the start, though I know the city will screw it up by putting too many constraints on the people.

3) What if they cant afford anywhere? There are people that are stronger than you and smarter than you. We have formed a government to protect us weaker people from the stronger people. Some people believe that extends to the weakest people. If we have the money (we do) to afford tent cities then many will vote to provide them. The cost should really be about 10k/person, though Im sure when the city implements it, it will be 100K/person.

I think of this in terms of IQ. The bottom 10% of IQ is around 60-70. They are basically incompetent, some fraction are literal morons. You can extend that to EQ, that is delayed gratification, ability to focus, etc. You might call it lazy. 10% of the population is about 30 million. We should expect to support the bottom 10% in some way, even if it is just giving them 100 sq ft for a tent.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Crazy: So your against camps, but you want to put these folks in camps. Did I get that right?
No you didn't get that right, because I never said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin