Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 12:21 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
The question remains...why the hell was that guy roaming free to begin with?

No wonder our crime rates in larger TX cities have gone through the roof.

Data? Source? Define "through the roof".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 12:32 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Here are some shocking # about Austin’s crime increases 2015-2020, and as far as I’ve been reading & hearing in local media, it is worse in 2021:

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...20Q4-FINAL.pdf

Old 07-10-2021, 02:17 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm suspicious of any website that has a political agenda.
Tell me one that does not these days? Please do not use NPR as an example either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That PJ’s certainly does.
See above.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:29 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
From the article:

".......Olmos isn’t a household name unless you know the Texas prison system well. Austin police certainly know him and his body of work. The eight-time felon convict was arrested (again) on May 25, 2021, after he had allegedly carjacked and gone on a crime spree, including multiple armed robberies across Austin.

Olmos’s recent rap sheet is eye-watering. According to a report PJ Media has obtained, he has confessed to a crime spree that includes 10 armed robberies in 10 days.

Prior to this, Olmos has been convicted of eight felonies. Olmos’ most recent conviction came on February 11, 2019, in Travis County for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. That got him five years. He didn’t serve that time.

Olmos was released on November 2, 2020, and was set to remain on parole until October of 2023.

But on April 2, 2021, while on parole, Olmos allegedly evaded arrest in a vehicle from the Sealy Police Department, in southeast Texas near Houston. Sealy police pursued him from that area until the Texas Department of Public Safety took over the chase as he moved west. Troopers pursued him into Travis County where he was apprehended. A source says Mr. Olmos was found in possession of a handgun and methamphetamine. He was arrested once again for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, evading arrest, and possession of a controlled substance.

Just four days later — on April 6, 2021 — Olmos was released from jail on a personal bond despite the fact he was a flight risk (he had just led police on a chase across Texas). The conditions of the personal bond included a GPS ankle monitor he was required to wear. Olmos allegedly removed that ankle monitor, and his personal bond was revoked on May 19, 2021. By then, he was already allegedly engaged in a crime spree.

Olmos would allegedly go on to commit ten robberies in 10 days across greater Austin. Nine of the robberies occurred within APD’s jurisdiction and one was in the jurisdiction of the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

The first robbery occurred on May 15, 2021, at 1747 Rutland Drive. The second and third robberies occurred on May 18, 2021, at 933 E. Rundberg Lane and at 7612 Brodie Lane respectively. The fourth and fifth robberies occurred on May 20, 2021, at 8422 S. Congress Avenue and at 7612 Bluff Springs Road respectively. The latter is in the county sheriff’s jurisdiction. The sixth and seventh robberies occurred on May 22, 2021, at 1025 W. Stassney Lane and 2538 Elmont Drive, respectively.
The first seven robberies Olmos allegedly committed had similar characteristics, in which the suspect entered convenience stores, displayed a handgun, and demanded cash from the clerks. Surveillance video revealed the suspect arrived and fled these scenes in a 2017 silver Chevrolet Silverado.
The eighth robbery occurred on May 23, 2021, at 10800 N. Lamar Boulevard. Olmos allegedly stole cash from the victim and fled the scene. The victim called 9-1-1 while chasing after Olmos. Olmos allegedly retrieved a firearm and fired shots at the victim. Officers arrived on the scene, but Olmos allegedly evaded arrest in the same silver Chevrolet Silverado witnesses saw at the first seven robberies.
The ninth robbery also occurred on May 23, 2021, at a Cricket Wireless store, on North Lamar Boulevard. Olmos allegedly stole cash from the victim and as the victim confronted him, Olmos displayed a silver handgun and threatened him.
The tenth and final robbery occurred on May 25, 2021, at 4918 Burleson Road. Olmos allegedly threatened the victim with a handgun and carjacked him. Olmos left behind his Silverado truck, which Austin police seized. The stolen vehicle was equipped with a GPS tracker and was tracked in real-time immediately after the carjacking. The Region 4 Metro Tactical Unit located Olmos and the victim’s vehicle.

That unit is set to be disbanded due to the massive budget cuts that Mayor Steve Adler and the 2020 city council imposed on APD.

Olmos was arrested on the scene and was allegedly found to be in possession of the stolen vehicle keys, cocaine, methamphetamine, and a silver handgun that matched the description of the gun that was used in the previous robberies. It also matched the caliber of the rounds fired at the victim during robbery #8.

Olmos reportedly confessed to the 10 robberies and confessed to knowingly possessing a firearm even though he is a convicted felon.

The question residents of Travis County and Austin should be asking is a simple one: With eight prior felony convictions on his record, and a chase just four days before his release on April 6, why was David Olmos free?....."

It's hard to believe PJMedia would make up the story. Don't see any spin. Just a lot a dates and actions along with a fair question to ask.

Would a liberal media present it any differently? Or at all? How could they possibly spin it?

I'd be more concerned with having a DA like that than the political bent of the story teller.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:05 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

It's hard to believe PJMedia would make up the story. Don't see any spin. Just a lot a dates and actions along with a fair question to ask.

Would a liberal media present it any differently? Or at all? How could they possibly spin it?

I'd be more concerned with having a DA like that than the political bent of the story teller.
It's crap writing, plain and simple. I can't get past that. Therefore, I personally give zero credence to any of the "facts", as I consider the source. I wish more people would do the same instead of spreading it.

If there are facts sprinkled around the poor writing, and they are important enough for the general public to know about, and it is reported using true journalism, using expository writing style, instead of hyped up superlatives and conjecture, then I would read with interest.

I don't find biased crap writing worth my time. Others may disagree, and are free to read what they want. But anyone who tries to tell me something sourced from this sort of article gets the palm and a "no thanks".

Old 07-12-2021, 10:53 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Olmos is certainly a scumbag, as multiple local media reported his arrest.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/man...area-robberies

However, Can’t google up anything about him after May 28th.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:17 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
It's crap writing, plain and simple. I can't get past that. Therefore, I personally give zero credence to any of the "facts", as I consider the source. I wish more people would do the same instead of spreading it.

If there are facts sprinkled around the poor writing, and they are important enough for the general public to know about, and it is reported using true journalism, using expository writing style, instead of hyped up superlatives and conjecture, then I would read with interest.

I don't find biased crap writing worth my time. Others may disagree, and are free to read what they want. But anyone who tries to tell me something sourced from this sort of article gets the palm and a "no thanks".
Sounds good to me.

As long as Olmos and those like him are allowed by a sympathetic DA to keep plying their trade in Austin it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: