Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM

29 posts, read 76,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkirk View Post
I hate to say this, but the Austin job market is very hard to break into for general positions - manager, administrative, sales, ect. There is just so much competition.
I would have to agree with jenkirk, and can sympathize with your struggle. I have been here since October, and have had a few "jobs" but nothing that would equate to my previous salary. My searches have told my a few things about the Austin market
1. As jenkirk, the generalist positions that would likely be a fairly respectable salary are lower in pay, in Austin, because of the competition.
2. If you want an income that is going to provide stability and comfort, in my case, I am going to have to go to back to school and get some additional and more highly specific degrees. That is not to say you will necessarily get that salary you are looking for. For example, there are a lot of techies, architects, drafters, etc. which also make the market very competitive, which doesn't help.
2a. The reference to Austin unemployment going down, from what I understand, is because there are lots of people taking jobs at 10-15 dollars an hour. To include those with higher education.
3. Austin is definitely incestuous which makes it difficult to get your foot in the door. Which couples the problem of "it is who you know not what you know". Networking is difficult here, and I think recruiters are probably one of the worst sources btw. I have had no luck with any of them, to include Texas Workforce.
4. Finally....as friendly a town as Austin is, there are a few people out there..but in general nobody is going to help you network you have to push your way in front of people and tell them your situation and be repetitive.

Good luck, if you are anything like me....cuz I am burnt out, frustrated, but gotta keep on keepin on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 25,803 times
Default Mixers...

Mixers, I forgot about them...there's a lot of film/entertainment/media industry that fits 100% my wife profile (she's a Manager for The Hollywood Reporter), but I'll dig more for those related to my career...

Also, I do customize my cover letter for every application, but yes, I'll try to keep it simple if that is the case...

Schönen Dank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
You need to tailor your resume to the job you are applying for. This means editing for EVERY job you apply for. You're only overqualified if your resume tells the hiring manager you are. Plus, make sure your resume contains the same key words as the job description.

There's a lot of professional mixers in Austin. Find one for what you want to do and go meet people.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Default WorkInTexas..mmhh!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I wish I can help but I am not in the sales / marketing field. So my sources would be some weak kung-fu for you.

Check out workintexas = WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better.

Yahoo Jobs = Jobs in Austin, TX - Yahoo! Hotjobs (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search?locations=austin%2C+tx&country=USA&industry =&kw= - broken link)

I know that RUDY's BBQ pays $10.00 an hour. Not much, but it beats sitting on your PC looking full time for a job and not getting anywhere.
Hey Mike, thanks for the advice... I have been trying WorkInTexas and no response at all....and YahooJobs, Monster, Careerbuilder, Juju, Gojobs, bizjournals austin, austinjobs, etc, etc.... and no luck so far....
But I still have faith!!!!

Also, I think some people reading this thread are assking to themselves "why this guy doesn't grab any job?" and my response is: I have too evaluate those jobs that pay so little, because some of them pay less than my unemployment check...so, in one hand I receive my check and have the chance to look for nice jobs, and on the other hand I could keep a job of 8-10 dlls/hr and don't have enough time to keep looking job postings and time for interviews (less money, less time)...at least that is my point of view, maybe I'm wrong...am I?

Take care!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM

Default I agree, I rushed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Your problem. if I may call it that, is that you are RUNNING away from somewhere. That never works. You become anxious, rush things, and don't plan ahead with a clear mind, becoming manic, and probably putting that across to those who would hire you. Also, you don't have a solid job transfer, AND a family, yet are trying to wing it as if you were single. Whatever skills you have, unless they are extremely unique or viable, it will take time to get hired in any industry, including nursing and education. You need board certification, contacts, area familiarity, labor specifics(unions, temp hiring, government hiring, area regulations), and it takes time just to do your homework and prepping, not to mention network in an area where you don't know anyone from Adam. It's not uncommon to take 3-6 months to find a job even in a good job market. The better the job the more time it takes, unless you are willing to work at H-E-B for 8 dollars an hour.
My advice is to try temping part-time, and give it everything you have. You will feel FAR worse going back home empty handed. Take my word for it........also, stop brooding. Stay outer-focused, keep a positive mindset, and you will thrive in Austin.
Trust me on this......
Hi SCongress

Thanks for taking the time to read my issues here....I have to agree completely with you, I'm "running" but this is happening since 2005...For one reason or another I just couldn't get out from L.A.... When I was laid off last February I thought "this is it!"... but all the stuff I;m learning thanks to you guys is something you don't find it in your internet research...you need to experience it, unfortunately...
Yes, I did the mistake of move here before any concrete job offer, but again, I really thought it was going to be hired within a month.... Now I have learned the lesson, but for now, I need to keep going and fight for it.....

Thanks again and enjoy your week!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,680 times
Arturo, what is your experience? Do you have a degree? Austin is the kind of place where everyone has at least a bachelor's (if not higher).

Have you tried the City government job website? There are still a lot of openings for various positions: http://www.austincityjobs.org (broken link)

Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 PM

739 posts, read 3,058,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy74 View Post
2a. The reference to Austin unemployment going down, from what I understand, is because there are lots of people taking jobs at 10-15 dollars an hour. To include those with higher education.
Ah, my wife is a social worker in San Diego and make right in the mid range of that up there- with a degree in Social Work. I have NO idea how anyone in SD can live off that. Well, if you have roommates I am sure it is fine.

She gets pissed that I make just as much in one hour as she does a whole day. But, that gives her the opportunity to help people and do what she loves.

I find it sad, that people with degrees have to resort to that level of pay. Especially people who pour their lives into others and help them. Social workers, teachers, fire fighters, and policeman- I salute you!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
When I moved from Los Angeles to Austin, I had a TERRIBLE time finding a job, too. And some Austinites were rather mean. Despite my degree from a top California school and very solid professional experience, I had difficulty landing interviews. One of my first interviews was with Dell and I landed a verbal job offer. I called back to accept the job and get it in writing and the hiring manager had suddenly disappeared from the company. HR said that they had no record of me or the job offer. Very frustrating! I took classes in job search skills from TEC and Austin Community College. A nasty career counselor at ACC said to me, "I don't think we have any jobs for you here in Austin. Why don't you go back to Los Angeles?" What type of career counseling is THAT? I didn't give up. I applied for a job the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, they called immediately, I had a job interview, and my start date was Jan. 2. You can find a job in Austin if that's what you want to do...you might just be under-employed for awhile because the Austin job market is a tough nut to crack. Just be sure to get some objective advice about your career skills, professional experience, resume, interview skills, etc. to make sure they are top-notch because you don't want to be at a competitive disadvantage versus other candidates.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 PM

669 posts, read 1,613,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Ah, my wife is a social worker in San Diego and make right in the mid range of that up there- with a degree in Social Work. I have NO idea how anyone in SD can live off that. Well, if you have roommates I am sure it is fine.

She gets pissed that I make just as much in one hour as she does a whole day. But, that gives her the opportunity to help people and do what she loves.

I find it sad, that people with degrees have to resort to that level of pay. Especially people who pour their lives into others and help them. Social workers, teachers, fire fighters, and policeman- I salute you!
AGREED! ESP FOR THE SOCIAL WORKERS. PERSONALLY HAVING CONTACT W/ HR, TEACHER'S FIRE FIGHTS AND POLICEMAN IN SOUTHERN CALI ALL APPROACH OR MAKE OVER 100K A YEAR WITH INSANE BENEFITS. SOCIAL WORKERS SHOULD ANGELS DOING IT FOR PENNIES

Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,367 times
I am in the exact same boat. Came here from Michigan a year ago and only landed one job which was awful, but it took me 3 months to get so I had to take it. I decided to roll the dice again and resign. I'm moving out of N. Austin and into the downtown area and I think it is more beneficial for me to spend my time trying to network and get a job that actually fits me. I have a Bachelors in Marketing and and MBA with 5 years experience in financial and marketing analysis. I hope it doesn't take me more than three months to find a job this time.

Anyone have any suggestions for networking opportunities? I have only been to the downtown area about 7 times since being here.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:21 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,901,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farre1pg View Post
I have only been to the downtown area about 7 times since being here.
Really? In a year. Damn, that's where all of the action is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin