Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:48 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,881 times

Advertisements

Well, I just got back today. I didn't get to really see/experience the things I wanted to, but here are some observations:

1.) The traffic is not nearly as bad as I've read. I was only in the evening rush hour once and going into town as opposed to out, but really nothing all that crazy. It didn't look too bad going in the other direction for that matter. The rest of the time I was driving during the day or the evening. The drivers are courteous. They let you in if you need to switch lanes, they move over to let you merge onto hwys/freeways/interstates and no one ever tailgated me even though I was going really slowly because I was scared to drive in a big city I didn't know. Actually, not many people were going a whole lot faster than I was.

2.) The people are very nice and friendly and don't have a knee-jerk hatred of new-comers. They were very welcoming and couldn't wait to tell me everything about their city when the found out I was considering moving there. A nice bouncer at Prague even bought us a round of drinks. His name is Austin (and he was born and raised in Austin).

3.) The suburbs are suburbs, not to be confused with the city. You will not be living in Austin if you live in Round Rock, Georgetown, etc. Round Rock struck me as more of a series of subdivisions rather than an actual city. It was disappointing since I can't afford to live in the city proper.

4.) Austin is a big city. It is often compared to my city of Madison, WI, but comparing a city of 270K to a city of almost a million people is not a realistic one. I live in a safe, though rather uninspired neighborhood which is an easy bike ride to some "hip" areas and really no more than 15-30 minute car ride from anything I really want to see or do in the city. Albeit about 40 minutes to the big chain shopping on the far west side. I can live without Ann Taylor most days.....

In the end, however, I think I'm too much of a chicken to move, but I am still considering it and one more winter may bring me to my knees. Hopefully the real estate market around here will be better by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,270 times
That was a nice post. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,778 times
Megan, what things did you get to see or do?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I agree with most of that, except for some of the suburb things. No, they aren't Austin, but they still have a Central Texas vibe and although there is lots of development, did you get very far off of I35? Lots of people drive as far as Georgetown, stay on 35, then do a u-turn back to Austin and miss the whole point of some of these places. I tend to find I can do almost anything I want around here without having to go into Austin except just for kicks. Just last weekend, we went to Coupland Inn and Dance Hall to eat dinner and Gary P. Nunn was playing.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times
Great review, oh just wanted to say, you have not hit Austin Summer yet!

Keep on sweating and keep on tick'in

Old 05-23-2008, 11:02 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,881 times
TexasTea - I didn't see much at all, but I did drive around Round Rock quite a bit just to get a feel for the area.

I went out to dinner and lunch a lot (great restaurants), drove around the West Lynn area, walked around the downtown near UT, walked around 6th/5th street (but too early in the evening I guess. No biggie as I'm not a barfly), walked along Congress, looked at Barton Springs (but didn't get to actually swim) and visited Taylor (loved it, Rachel :>). I realize Taylor isn't a suburb like Round Rock so I wasn't referring to it when I commented on the suburbs.

Honestly, if I had to move for a job or something I think I'd be perfectly happy in Austin or even Round Rock, but I didn't feel this instant connection like, "Yes, I've been meant to live here my whole life." Maybe that's not realistic, but it is how I've always felt about where I live now. I'm just getting beaten down by the weather. I get a feeling not unlike claustraphobia in the fall and it continues until it gets warm, which it hasn't yet! 58 degrees presently - heavy sigh.

Mike78613 - Super. Was Wednesday's humidity what is typical or does it get even more so? I left was in the Airport by 4 in the morning and didn't go outside after that so I'm not sure how the rest of the day shaped up in that department.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM

If your talking about this past Wednesday 5-21-08, the humidity is probably common, but gets much hotter . Feels great on the skin, huh?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:31 PM

187 posts, read 847,041 times
Glad to hear you made it to Taylor.... It's a little town, but pretty cute. Lots of nice neighborhoods, I hope you got to see them. And the park. The pool opens this weekend!

I'm glad you got to see the springs, too, Barton Springs.

Austin is definitely a city, and it aspires to be a big one. It's no Madison.

The day you left, it was hot! My understanding is that it's been a bit hot lately, it broke 100 the following day, and that was a record. This is hot like later in the summer... It's still spring!

Anyway, I know you'll make a decision that's good for you. It was great to meet up with you when you were here!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,374,728 times
It was nice reading your trip report, Megan. The winters have definitely brought me to my knees. The older I get, the more I despise them. I will be happy living in Austin come December. I don't think I could stand another bone-chilling Winter.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
It was nice reading your trip report, Megan. The winters have definitely brought me to my knees. The older I get, the more I despise them. I will be happy living in Austin come December. I don't think I could stand another bone-chilling Winter.
If you do-not like cold winters, then Austin is it. It was actually a very warm winter this year. I expected much more freezes, but that unfortunately did not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin