Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 08:23 AM

103 posts, read 322,152 times

Advertisements

After moving overseas in 1987 (with a small break to Houston in the middle), we are finally moving back. We will be moving to the Driftwood area. My only concern is that I'm moving back with a son who will be a senior next year. He's excited about the move as we now live in the UK and he hates it here. He'll be at Dripping Springs HS. We found the Austin rugby information online. That pretty much sealed the deal for him since he "just knows" he wouldn't be able to join the football team.

Any thoughts, suggestions, helpful hints welcomed. DH and I are both from Texas, but we've never lived in the Austin area. This will be our retirement home as well. Looking forward to the move, but at that worrying stage now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 46,739 times
That's a great area to be looking in that meets both the good school district needs and is a wonderful place to retire. Dripping Springs is growing very rapidly and more amenities seem to be coiming in all the time. Are you looking for acerage or would you rather be in a community? I'd start with that and a price range to begin your house search.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
What kinds of hints and suggestions are you looking for? Pertaining to your son, yourselves, your interests? We're full of hints and suggestions here, but it helps to know what your concerns are so you're not inundated!

Driftwood is a lovely area - I've been looking for properties there for a couple of clients and would love to live there myself.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 AM

103 posts, read 322,152 times
Wow! You guys are fast!

I went back for my other son's graduation from Texas State a couple of weeks ago and the "perfect" house kind of fell in my lap, so I bought it. It's off of 1826...in Rim Rock Ranch. I hope it wasn't a mistake! I've looked off and on for years and this one just met all the requirements.

I really don't have time to worry or even think about myself and everything now. I'm just concerned about the HS thing for my son. Being from Texas and having taught there, I know how difficult it can be for the new kid, and a senior especially.

He wants to be a commercial pilot. He has since he was about 12. I thought we could get him going on the flight lessons and that might help ease him into things.

It's great that there is an under 18 rugby group. That is the one thing that he does like here.

We've lived in Kenya, Gabon, Egypt, Switzerland, and now the UK. It will be great to get back to Texas.

Thanks for making me feel welcome! That's the reason we decided to retire in Texas despite the high property taxes and all

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
DS has a very good HS and, in general, teenagers are becoming more like adults by senior year and (imho) do not have near the 'grief' from the other students. It can be difficult to fit in still, since many of the kids will have had the same group of friends over many years, but there is little you can do about that. Rugby is becoming more popular again (or seems to be), and that is a great way to meet other kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: