Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,820 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the austin area and could use a little help in my initial housing search. I have never been to austin and really don't have an idea about the different areas. I will be working at a hospital in austin, which has not yet been determined. Anyway I am used to living in or near some fairly big cities. My initial thought is to leave in the city somewhere, perhaps in a loft or a condo, although I am open to a townhouse or similar outside of the city but in a walkable/active area. I love live music, great restaurants, galleries, the outdoors, etc. Could someone give me suggestions with a brief description of some areas that fit the bill. I have been living in a small 1BR apt (600sq. ft) around DC and paying close to $2000/mth for 2 years and am looking for something bigger for my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 AM

139 posts, read 451,168 times
Check out the Triangle apartments and townhouses. They are near Seton Hospital, close to downtown, and have lots of great shops and restaurants within walking distance.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Many of your art galleries will be found in East Austin, East of 35.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM

13 posts, read 46,749 times
It depends on which hospital you end up at, but there are a lot of nice Condos in the 78704 zip code which is south of Lady Bird (Town) Lake and north of 71/Hwy 290/Ben White. That's one thing you'll realize about Austin, many roads have two or three names. 78704 has lots of restaurants, galleries, shops, etc. It's very close to downtown and you can get around on a bike pretty easily there.

If you'll be working north of downtown and want to be closer to work, the Triangle is a very good option as txgal78 pointed out.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,374,728 times
[quote=billaustin;3903469]It depends on which hospital you end up at, but there are a lot of nice Condos in the 78704 zip code which is south of Lady Bird (Town) Lake and north of 71/Hwy 290/Ben White. That's one thing you'll realize about Austin, many roads have two or three names. 78704 has lots of restaurants, galleries, shops, etc. It's very close to downtown and you can get around on a bike pretty easily there.QUOTE]

Could you be more specific in names re: the condo's South of Town Lake and North of Ben White?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 46,749 times
[quote=Texanwannabe;3903791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billaustin View Post
It depends on which hospital you end up at, but there are a lot of nice Condos in the 78704 zip code which is south of Lady Bird (Town) Lake and north of 71/Hwy 290/Ben White. That's one thing you'll realize about Austin, many roads have two or three names. 78704 has lots of restaurants, galleries, shops, etc. It's very close to downtown and you can get around on a bike pretty easily there.QUOTE]

Could you be more specific in names re: the condo's South of Town Lake and North of Ben White?
Sure, but this is by no means a complete list. In addition to the many new condo projects that are going up, there a lot of 'condo-conversions' as well. These are apartment complexes that a developer has come in and renovated everything, and is now selling them as individual units. In a lot of cases investors are the ones buying these units and are looking for tenants as soon as they buy them. Some examples are Bridges on the Park, Akoya, 300 Crockett St (sorry don't know the name), Sage.

There is also an nice apartment complex on S. Congress near Docs Bar and Grill that has nice amenities, cool pool, great location. The name escapes me right now. I'll try and get back to you with it.

I'd recommend Craigslist as a way to look for rentals, there are a lot of people that post their rentals there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin