Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 PM

32 posts, read 90,994 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing around different options for myself in the areas around austin, buy land and build? renovate a fixer-upper? (i have to admit, i'm kind of addicted to hands on renovating, but it might be nice not to live in a construction zone for the first time in a long time, my daughter has NEVER lived in a house that i wasn't moving a wall or tearing out a kitchen or bath) OR find a fairly young home i don't have to do anything to? (but then it won't feel like "me.")

I see a lot of different homes and land that fall into all of the above categories in the Cedar Creek area near Bastrop. What's the scoop on this area? Seems there's much for sale. The commute seems a fairly reasonable distance, and the land looks decent, there are some very affordable prices, is it considered a less than stellar area?

thanks for any input. (and why can't i make my heading bold?)

vtcowgirl

Last edited by vtcowgirl; 05-29-2008 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: make heading bold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I don't live in Cedar Creek, but am nearby on the north side of the river. There are a lot of myths about living on the east side of IH35 that might be true about being close to downtown Austin, but get generalized to the whole area out to Bastrop.

It is a more rural area and not part of a town with a good history of support services. Cedar Creek is a newer community (compared to Bastrop, Smithville, Austin) and it's growth is very recent as well. We do not have a track record on how it will hold up or be managed. This makes some hesitant to invest.

The myths on crime, demographics, property values and resale demand also hurt the general area. I cannot see that most of these myths are true and none of them anywhere near the extent the myths portray.

I am quite happy with my property near Webberville, and would have no problems personally purchasing property in the Cedar Creek area. Just be aware that it does not hold the prestige of the areas west of IH35 and does suffer from an inferiority complex. This will change over time, but you may have to be patient.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
As said, it's more rural. I've been showing a buyer some properties out there (his daughter and family live near Webberville and he wants to live close by) and we've found some very nice places. There should be horse-suitable properties out that way, as well. It's a little more of a "horsey" area up towards Elgin, but you'll find plenty of sympatico people down Cedar Creek way, too.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM

32 posts, read 90,994 times
thanks for the replies. it really helps to get feedback from those who live there.

i currently live in an area with an inferiority complex, but it is THE most gorgeous area in southern vermont! go figure. it's rural, no "amenities" to speak of.

i'm drawn to the east side of I35 for some reason. as i don't really have any pre-conceived notions about areas around austin. bastrop, smithville, mcdade, la grange. i like that it's green and rolling and more like the farm land i'm used to.

at least i've narrowed my search down to only a few areas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin