Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 37,040 times

Advertisements

Folks - I realize this topic may have been discussed to death. I have read as many threads as possible and spoken to many about it.

But questions remain:
- Is the general perception that RR is better than Leander (notwithstanding the one-off school) create real-estate valuations in Leander to be lower?
- Are buyers - either locals or transplants - taken by the perception and hence try to avoid Leander?
- All things being equal, is it harder to resell a home in Leander than in RR?

Thank you!

More specific ref - Rutledge vs. New Patsy Sommers school in Avery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,055 times
I used to live in Leander ISD, I now live in RRISD. At the time of both purchases, they school districts were described to be the same - both very good with similar student bodies. I don't think one so overrides the other that it deters people from buying in RR over Cedar Park or vice versa. Mostly people don't want to be in parts of Austin ISD and that's what they avoid rather than nitpicking which suburban school district is better than the other. Can't speak specifically to the Avery schools.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:59 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
I agree with the pp that I do not think the perception is different enough to warrant an impact with regards to real estate, in general. There are fantastic schools in both RRISD and LISD - I will say having worked in both systems as an educator, that I personally feel that RRISD is better, so individually I would look to buy/sell in RRISD over LISD, but I think that for every person with my viewpoint, there is someone with the opposing viewpoint. Some realtors on this board could give you a better indication, though.

Specifically with regard to the Avery Ranch schools, I can tell you from speaking to many parents (I used to live in Avery Ranch and now live right down the road in Cat Hollow, and many of my kids' friends and activities still bring us into contact with the "Avery Ranch crowd") that the Patsy Sommers elementary school is highly anticipated, and I think maybe COULD make an impact in real estate, just with that neighborhood. If given the choice, I would choose the Patsy Sommers area over Rutledge, and I can tell you that I know many people who would feel the same way. But again...I'm sure you will hear differently from others!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
traceyr13, what high school does that RRISD area feed into? Because I think this could really make the difference down the road for home buyers in that area. Vista Ridge is an outstanding high school and will only get better as the area grows and far north Leander students start going to Rouse (I live in the Rouse attendance zone so I can say that )

Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
Avery Ranch (as of last year when I lived there) fed in Grisham middle school and then McNeil HS. I don't know much about Grisham, but I do know some faculty members at McNeil as well as several students, and they all rave about it. My perception (again, from talking to both educators and parents) is that Westwood is considered the "best" high school in RRISD, followed by McNeil and Round Rock, with Stony Point finishing a very distant 4th.

I have never heard Vista Ridge considered "better" than McNeil in my conversations. I personally consider Vista Ridge to be on par with McNeil.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
I agree. And i think they're both "Project Lead the Way" schools (which means they have engineering programs that can earn college credit for students).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin