Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:29 AM

8 posts, read 17,514 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Austin in a couple of months and I am an Executive Assistant with 8 years experience. How is the job market there? I called an agency and was told they have Executive Assistant positions but by past experiences agencies say that to get you in so they can build up their files to look better to their clients. The same thing happened to me when I moved to Miami. I was going to get an apartment first then look for work. If I have to temp first would be good. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,148 times
Hello!
Well, to be honest, the job market in Austin is pretty competitive, but depending on the industry you'd like to work in, you could be in luck (ie: computer, technical). Austin is booming in those industries. Either way, just be persistent about it. With eight years experience you are bound to be a desirable candidate for a company.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-30-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 AM

16 posts, read 73,938 times
If you are able, I would definitely suggest saving up enough to support yourself for a few months while you search. Best case scenario, you find a job quickly and have some spare cash to explore the city with. I'm an admin/exec asst with 5+ yrs experience and I've been job searching going on 2 months now. Although, I don't blame Austin entirely, general state of the US economy and time of year may also factor in. It's been my experience that while there are a fair number of openings posted, getting a response (interview, etc) can be challenging. There are also a LOT of temp/staffing agencies and I've heard quite a few people say this is the best way to get in for office type jobs. I've only recently started trying out some of these agencies, so I don't have much info yet as to which are most helpful. Best of luck to you with your move and your search!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM

183 posts, read 686,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcorvette View Post
I am moving to Austin in a couple of months and I am an Executive Assistant with 8 years experience. How is the job market there? I called an agency and was told they have Executive Assistant positions but by past experiences agencies say that to get you in so they can build up their files to look better to their clients. The same thing happened to me when I moved to Miami. I was going to get an apartment first then look for work. If I have to temp first would be good. Any advice would be appreciated.
I wouldn't be too worried about finding a job. You just need to know the "right" people. My husband works for a recruiting firm (he heads up the IT division but another area can help with your type of placement) Let me know if you'd be interested in contacting him.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM

20 posts, read 71,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about finding a job. You just need to know the "right" people. My husband works for a recruiting firm (he heads up the IT division but another area can help with your type of placement) Let me know if you'd be interested in contacting him.
Well I could use help returning home to Austin. Moved to Knoxville 3 years ago and miss Austin very much. My wife and I are looking but have not found anything yet. I'm a programmer type (Microsoft mostly).

Do you think your husband could help me?

Thanks,

Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hi SpringBean:

Your husband's help would very much be appreciated. I am now working as an Executive Assistant to the SVP of IT in Florida and I will be in Austin the last week in August. What is the name of the recruitment firm I can contact? Offering your help was a kind gesture. Thank you. redcorvette

Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM

183 posts, read 686,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKyle View Post
Well I could use help returning home to Austin. Moved to Knoxville 3 years ago and miss Austin very much. My wife and I are looking but have not found anything yet. I'm a programmer type (Microsoft mostly).

Do you think your husband could help me?

Thanks,
Quote:
Hi SpringBean:

Your husband's help would very much be appreciated. I am now working as an Executive Assistant to the SVP of IT in Florida and I will be in Austin the last week in August. What is the name of the recruitment firm I can contact? Offering your help was a kind gesture. Thank you. redcorvette
Check your messages, I've given you his contact info.

Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 AM

20 posts, read 71,620 times
Thanks!

Quote:
Check your messages, I've given you his contact info.

Good Luck!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb73 View Post
If you are able, I would definitely suggest saving up enough to support yourself for a few months while you search. Best case scenario, you find a job quickly and have some spare cash to explore the city with. I'm an admin/exec asst with 5+ yrs experience and I've been job searching going on 2 months now. Although, I don't blame Austin entirely, general state of the US economy and time of year may also factor in. It's been my experience that while there are a fair number of openings posted, getting a response (interview, etc) can be challenging. There are also a LOT of temp/staffing agencies and I've heard quite a few people say this is the best way to get in for office type jobs. I've only recently started trying out some of these agencies, so I don't have much info yet as to which are most helpful. Best of luck to you with your move and your search!
I am here in Austin for about a month now and can't find a job. I can't believe it! I also keep thinking about your response to me about saving 2 months, because it took you 2 months to get a job. The process is so slow. You fill out the application and sit and wait until they call you for a phone interview and then a in person interview. In a month, I have had 3 bites on my resume with phone interviews and in person interview. One agency told me that they post closed positions to get the people in and fill up their files so when the companies call them they have people to send. Do you have any leads for me?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Still seeking employment in Austin

Quote:
Hi SpringBean:

I met your husband and signed up with the agency. I was told that very rarely do they have Executive Assistant positions paying $18 an hour or more. It is from $10, $12 and maybe $15. How can people survive off of that? I am signed up with 5 agencies and one told me that they post closed positions to get the people in to fill up their files so when companies do call they have people to send. Can you believe that? All the arrows were pointing for me to moved to Austin but I never dreamed it would be this hard to find a job and I have experience too. I am trying to have patience but every penny I am spending is coming from my savings. You know the rent and other bills can't wait and constanting arriving. Thank you for listening to my vent. Redcorvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: