Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times

Advertisements

Austin intersections among worst in nation (broken link)

Ok, so life in Austin is not as perfect as so many people here seem determined on insisting. From the report:
Austin's "travel time index," which essentially estimates the average extra time it takes to get around at rush hour, was seventh worst in the country at 1.28. That means it takes 28 percent longer to get somewhere at rush hour than it does in the middle of the night.

We also seem to have the distinction of being the only city in Texas with the 2 worst intersections that made the list (I35 and MLK and I35 and Riverside). I would add Caesar Chavez and S. Congress/S. First....agggg)

Austin is not a rathole and neither is it heaven. It just *is*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:34 PM

124 posts, read 563,755 times
geeze. the way people complain about this here.

have any of you ever lived/driven in Los Angeles on a daily basis. that is bad. ever been stuck on the freeway at 1am for 2 hours? that is bad. Ever been stuck in am rush hour in one place (and by that I mean you moved less than 1/2 a mile) for 2 hours? That is bad. And I've done both and Austin doesn't compare. Sure it sucks anywhere anytime to ever be on the road with a million other people, hardly moving and it taking longer than it would without traffic.

But at least in Austin there times when there isn't any traffic and it really actually moves.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Boston is even worse than LA. And I had a HORRIBLE time driving around in Portland. Driving in Austin was like driving in heaven compared to those three cities.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 73,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib View Post
geeze. the way people complain about this here.

have any of you ever lived/driven in Los Angeles on a daily basis. that is bad. ever been stuck on the freeway at 1am for 2 hours? that is bad. Ever been stuck in am rush hour in one place (and by that I mean you moved less than 1/2 a mile) for 2 hours? That is bad. And I've done both and Austin doesn't compare. Sure it sucks anywhere anytime to ever be on the road with a million other people, hardly moving and it taking longer than it would without traffic.

But at least in Austin there times when there isn't any traffic and it really actually moves.

I agree with you here. Though I don't live in Austin yet, my fiance and I were just there last week during the week and drove at all different hours, including RUSH HOUR, and it didn't compare to anything here in California. It did have some slow spots but it was only because of construction or the big rigs moving over. But once you passed that part, it was a smooth flowing drive. To be able to get from point A to B within 30 minutes (yes, even during rush hour) is a HUGE deal compared to California where it takes over an hour to go 20 miles. And that's pretty much into late in the night.

I'm sure the traffic has increased due to the rush of people moving to the city, but it still isn't as bad as a lot of other places.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Conversely, maybe Austin traffic is so LIGHT the rest of the time that the rush hour just looks real bad. Think of it.....28% of a really low number is much better than 20% of a really bad number to start .

Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Just because it's not LA/Chicago/NY doesn't mean it's not bad, especially to those of who've been here for a long time. So, is the Austin American Stateman complaining? I mean, they're the ones who are reporting it.

Last edited by mimimomx3; 06-20-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...

Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,499 times
I grew up in Houston and then lived in Southern California for over 17 years and I can say without a doubt Austin's traffic is nothing compared to those two places and Houston's traffic is nothing compared to Southern California.

I actually had to spend the night in my car on the way to Fresno because a tanker had crashed and the road was closed all night long. Granted I guess that can happen anywhere but to this Texas gal it was beyond strange. Everyone was getting out of their cars and talking to each other. Thank God I had brought some trail mix with me or I would have been very hungry come 6:00 a.m. when the road was finally cleared. Also, here in Austin there are defined "rush hours" whereas in Southern California every time of the day seems like "rush hour" Get off a plane at 1:00 a.m? Traffic. Leave work at 2:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve? Traffic. Take a nice Sunday ride at 10:00 a.m.? Traffic. Don't even get me started on taking a long week-end and driving back Sunday afternoon from say, Palm Springs. Can you say "Torture?"

Now don't get me wrong, I would not like to live in Round Rock and commute to downtown because I am sure that is not pleasant but trust me, when you live 12 miles from work and it takes you at least 45 minutes to get there and then another 45 minutes to an hour to get home and you make that drive for 13+ years it REALLy gets to you.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,796 times
A couple of points:

1) Soco has only been here 18 mos...so I don't understand his complaining (all of it) when he doesn't know what it was like here 20 yrs ago. Also, the dude's says he's from Chicago...hello...traffic???

2) Austin's rush hour doesn't last for 4 hours like some other cities. I drive from McNeil/183 to Barton Creek on Mopac for work AT 5 PM. Traffic almost always moves and it takes an average of 30-45 minutes. After driving in SoCal, NorCal, Phoenix, etc. at rush hour, we don't have a lot to complain about. Yes, there are lots of people here, yes there is traffic, but our city isn't so large that it takes 2 hours to get across town (try LA or Phx for that...and people do that drive EVERYDAY).

I think if you make a "traffic here sucks" comment, you should preface it and qualify it with your personal experience. Obviously there are more people in the world than there were 20-30 years ago, so guess what?...traffic is worse everywhere!

Finally, these articles enumerating cities with the worst traffic/bottlenecks vary from report to report...none can be taken at face value. Here's one that doesn't even mention Austin in 25 cities ranked as the most awful unhealthy commutes:
America's Unhealthy Commutes - Forbes.com

Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
I totally don't get into the traffic comments - coming from DC, then moving to Seattle... and now living in the Austin area... this is NOT traffic. The only complaint I may have is HOV lanes?? Come on... where are they?? But we have already had that discussion, and I know I will never see them here. Also, yes, public transportation needs mass improvement.

Seriously, if this is bad traffic - leave the state a bit.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
A couple of points:

1) Soco has only been here 18 mos...so I don't understand his complaining (all of it) when he doesn't know what it was like here 20 yrs ago. Also, the dude's says he's from Chicago...hello...traffic???

2) Austin's rush hour doesn't last for 4 hours like some other cities. I drive from McNeil/183 to Barton Creek on Mopac for work AT 5 PM. Traffic almost always moves and it takes an average of 30-45 minutes. After driving in SoCal, NorCal, Phoenix, etc. at rush hour, we don't have a lot to complain about. Yes, there are lots of people here, yes there is traffic, but our city isn't so large that it takes 2 hours to get across town (try LA or Phx for that...and people do that drive EVERYDAY).

I think if you make a "traffic here sucks" comment, you should preface it and qualify it with your personal experience. Obviously there are more people in the world than there were 20-30 years ago, so guess what?...traffic is worse everywhere!

Finally, these articles enumerating cities with the worst traffic/bottlenecks vary from report to report...none can be taken at face value. Here's one that doesn't even mention Austin in 25 cities ranked as the most awful unhealthy commutes:
America's Unhealthy Commutes - Forbes.com
I've lived in San Antonio, Paris/Milan, Washington DC and Austin. Yes, traffic is worse in all those cities than it is in Austin. I haven't lived in every city for years, I don't have a doctorate in transportation studies (if there is such a thing!). I'm simply reporting an article that was in the paper. I don't claim to be the last word or authority on anything. I added that I thought there were a couple of other intersections that I find are worse.
Why do you jump all over people who have a different opinion? I've been in Austin a long time, and to me the traffic that exists TODAY is WORSE than the traffic that existed 26years ago, the first time I drove in Austin. I'm sure if you find someone on the board who's 80 years old, they'll say the traffic in 1980 was NOTHING compared to the traffic in 1940. It's relative. It's human to complain. And it's an Austin thing, one I'm real proud of, that we're friendly, we take things in stride and we don't bully other people. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin