Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
recommending to have HOV would be wonderful!!

But I am sure they rather slap a toll-booth here instead...
oh yes....but why implement a low cost option that works when TxDOT can actually make money to fund its bureacrocracy instead???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I'm not on pins and needles waiting for the new Land Rover dealership or Neimans to open up. I'm all about economic health...Austin in the late '80s was a scary place....but I think that our growth has been uncontrolled and unplanned.

I've been here for closing on 40 years. I don't think the traffic is all that bad - and after coming to city-data, I've been looking for all this bad traffic that I keep hearing about, and I'm still not finding it. (Got caught in a traffic slowdown in Oak Hill today around noon, made me all of ten minutes late - took me just over an hour to drive from Jarrell to Sawyer Ranch, instead of the hour I was anticipating. For those who don't know, Jarrell is 15 miles north of Georgetown, which is 40 miles - per the traffic signs - from Austin.)

However, I agree with the statement above. "Vibrant growth" does NOT, to me, equal "more shopping opportunities". To me, that's the very antithesis of vibrancy - if anything, it makes a city LESS vibrant the more shopping opportunities of the same old same old kind come to town.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
How did we get talking about "shopping opportunities"?? Who said anything about shopping, or that growth = shopping????

Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I CAN say that Austin traffic is bad- it's bad to me. It's like the weather. It was 100* yesterday. I ran, worked in the yard and ate outside. It wasn't hot to me. I'm sure someone else thought it was hot. If someone posts here: 'Austin is TOO hot'....what gives ME the right to say 'NO it isn't! It was 110* in Phoenix (was it??) today, now THAT's hot!!!'. It's my perception and theirs, neither is right and neither is wrong.
When I say "you" - I mean it in the general sense, not specifically YOU. Grammatically, I suppose I should have said "one". My apologies.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Jenbar, read the quote above my comment, regarding "latest Land Rover dealership or Neiman's". There IS an attitude that a city has to have those kinds of shopping opportunities or it isn't "vibrant", that is expressed on this board (and elsewhere), and I'm assuming that that's what was referred to in the comment I quoted.

Of course, we all know about assuming . . .

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 PM

So, to be clear, when I use the term "vibrant" I am NOT talking about shopping. Or spending. Or consumerism in any way.

I mean active, busy, productive, happy, diverse people, economy, members of society - the opposite of a stagnant, broken community.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Well, I thought long and hard about what positives the wild growth we've had in Austin has given us, and I came up with...more shopping. DH and I live in a neighborhood that's been around for 50 years, work in companies that have been around nearly that long....I guess I'm drawing a blank at what good stuff has come to Austin with growth. Bad stuff I can come up with (increased property value/taxes, traffic, congestion, local businesses being priced out due to big boxes, overcrowding...) Not trying to be negative, really trying to pe positive.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 PM

But you can have active, busy, productive, happy, diverse people, members of society, in a small town, as well, and in a medium-sized one. Those characteristics are not restricted to large cities, by any means.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
So, to be clear, when I use the term "vibrant" I am NOT talking about shopping. Or spending. Or consumerism in any way.

I mean active, busy, productive, happy, diverse people, economy, members of society - the opposite of a stagnant, broken community.
When you talk about being productive and the economy, you are by definition talking about consumerism by definition.
Austin was hardly stagnant and broken before the 90s. Hardly.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 PM

I never said it was????? Wow.

You added more to your post

Quote:
When you talk about being productive and the economy, you are by definition talking about consumerism by definition.
Not specifically no. Not with YOUR meaning, of needing Neiman's and Land Rover dealerships... but to have a productive community, unless we are going to live in 100% personal sustainability - then yes, the businesses, including local, need to be in stable conditions. You can have a healthy economy, without over-dosing on consumerism.

But, productive people - to me, has nothing to do with consumerism. You can have an active cultural and arts area of a community - and that's being productive. Getting things done in local government, that's being productive. A community organization providing services to it's community - that's being productive.

consumerism - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
consumerism

Main Entry: con·sum·er·ism
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsü-mə-ˌri-zəm, -mər-ˌi-\
Function: noun
Date: 1944
1: the promotion of the consumer's interests
2: the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically desirable; also : a preoccupation with and an inclination toward the buying of consumer goods
— con·sum·er·ist \-rist, -ist\ noun or adjective
— con·sum·er·is·tic \kən-ˌsü-mə-ˈris-tik, -mər-ˈis-\ adjective

productive - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
productive

Main Entry: pro·duc·tive
Pronunciation: \prə-ˈdək-tiv, prō-\
Function: adjective
Date: 1612
1: having the quality or power of producing especially in abundance <productive fishing waters>
2: effective in bringing about <investigating committees have been productive of much good — R. K. Carr>
3 a: yielding results, benefits, or profits b: yielding or devoted to the satisfaction of wants or the creation of utilities
4: continuing to be used in the formation of new words or constructions <un- is a productive prefix>
5: raising mucus or sputum (as from the bronchi) <a productive cough>

Last edited by jwb123; 06-20-2008 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin