Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 95,628 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am looking to move to Austin in the future - obviously the economy has slowed me down a bit - but I am tenacious! Will be there in August for a visit. I am a fine artist - primarily painting, muralist, plaster artisan and art teacher. I would like to find 6 or 7 people that would like to meet and talk about an Ecovillage where we have our own homes/studios, but come together within a living and working land trust. My definition of the arts is broad - wood/carpenter, music, dance, yoga, herbalist/organic gardening, chef, and open to other artistic categories. The goal of the Ecovillage is to live sustainable, have a group organic garden, share a community space for teaching plus many other opportunities to use for the general Austin community. We work independently yet also help each other toward success in our fields. We share and own together and separately. The homes/studios would be green and sustainable and perhaps the goal would be at least off the grid partly. I am not rich - our funds are combined for the land and we build our own home/work space. I have already found 2 modular "green" home plans that are moderately priced (1200 sq feet - 2000+) and a plan for a 2.5 garage w/an apartment above for a studio for income or the artist's living space depending on the person.

Obviously a city we see land in must approve the idea, but I am limiting it to 7 homes. Our common goal is to make our 'art", live and build sustainable, and be health oriented. In Dallas they have very large Ecovillages -- that size would defeat my vision.

Google Ecovillage - These are all over the world and usually they are based on a commonality of some sort - religion, students, life styles, etc. There are several in the Dallas area - and in Austin, but they are co-housing - which I am not interested in. I envision an art village where the community will come to learn, share, and experience our art.

If interested in the concept let me know. I would be happy to meet with anyone in August that may be interested in talking about it.

Would love to talk to any "green" interior designers, builders, or architects. I have had a painting contractor & art business in Phoenix since 1999. I have been working w/green products for almost 10 years.

For many of your the concept of sharing a living/working lifestyle may sound very odd - not interested in hearing the negatives - I know not everyone would be interested in doing this. Life can be much easier with a good positive support group than without one! Trust me as an artist I have heard all my life that I "should get a real job". As an artist I see the world differently, I have wonderful creative gifts to share with the world and know most people have forgotten how to color outside the lines!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM

124 posts, read 563,726 times
wow! it sounds so cool. I'm an artist, but I'm married and don't ever see something like this being viable for my husband and I, but if I was single I'd be all over this!

Good luck with it!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM

14 posts, read 37,162 times
This sounds interesting .. Im artist too and my cup of tea is computer graphic design - designing logos, websites and other web and print projects.

Hope to see you around in Austin soon!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
How is that different from co-housing? I know there's a co-housing community that has land in East Austin.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Sounds like a great idea. I'm a composer myself, but at this point fairly content in my living space(although I do need a better studio space) and in NO position to move house at the moment, but look forward to having some further discussions about this with you in the Future.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 AM

25 posts, read 95,628 times
Single or married are welcome. What is important is that you have some financial stability because the land will cost money and then your home. It doesn't have to be fancy and it can always be added to - that is what is great with a sustainable modular home - they are easy to add to.

This will not happen for 2-3 years - so you may want to consider a move in the future. This concept has to be planned, gotten approval by the city and legally written up for ownership, so it is a lengthy process to make everything work.

This gives a person their home and studio, plus other peoples creative energy and a community space to share with others who will support and help you as an individual and as an artist. It will open business opportunities because you will be seen in a community setting and be a unique contributor of your community. It will give one a great deal of life satisfaction because you will be living your life's passion. I am sure when the time is right I will have my 6 courageous dare-to-be-different group of people!

Graphic design is art - I have no age preferences. I have a birth
date I have to live with, but my spirit is very young and I have tons of goals to accomplish and a lot to contribute to the community before I finally have to really age - which will always be with grace.

I will be in Austin Aug 12 - 17 - do not know a soul. Would love to meet some other artists if you are open to have a martini or coffee. I will be staying at the Austin Motel.

Co-housing is like a commune - you live in the same building. An Ecovillage is that you have your own home, but you share ownership of the land and the care thereof - and you may choose to share an evening meal once a week, organic garden, all kinds of things that you sit down and decide is important for yourself and the group as a whole. And when you get a cold there is someone w/chicken soup if you are a single person.

Not really a new concept, Our world is changing not always for the better. We seem to be shut out from the world even though we have people that live right next door, people don't seem to care for one another any longer or want to help someone with their success because it just is the right thing to do. There is much of life that we miss when we don't share our spirits.

If you know of anyone that would be interested please send them my way. This has been one of my dreams for 20 years and I find life is getting shorter so it is time to bring joy in my life and the bounce back in my step!

thanks again

Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 AM

124 posts, read 563,726 times
I'd love to meet with you! It would be such a joy to hang out with a visionary like you

We just bought a new home a couple of months ago, and I love this studio space, but I'd love to hear more about your idea and project.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I was reading something about artists and living and such in the Austin American Statesman this weekend. A lot of the art community is moving to East Austin so you may want to look in that area, and/or try and find the article online that I read this weekend.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
This reminds me of a few small communities in the Santa Fe area. Their pictures looked very cool.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
The co-housing I've seen here in Atlanta are townhomes. I think the group in Austin will have individual homes. The people I met didn't strike me as commune kind of folks. Could be things have changed since back when...

I think it's cool in concept but not so sure about in practice. I like a little privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin