Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times

Advertisements

Nope, i am only one person. The others share my opinion it seems. Again, to each his own. If you like that sort of lifestyle out there, then you are totally entitled to it. I am simply saying, that no one with any decent job or decent salary would live in Hutto. There are far too many nicer places around Austin to settle for a place like that. But if that works for you, then more power to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think eepstein, spock7, and formerodessaninaustin are the same person.

You think I couldn't find cheap housing West of 35 you're kidding yourself. I'll go through the paper and quote home prices to you after I get my camera out and take pictures of the trees here and post them. There are more than cookie cutter houses here and while you're stuck in the same record rut you may have missed that the Council and EDC passed a new local law to build no more starter homes and to start "upscaling".

I can afford to live several different places as a matter of fact. We live here to be close to my sister. You don't know about the rascists over here but I bet you probably have a neighborhood rascist group over on your side of town.

I think he just pulls facts out of his own empty head because for the life of me I can't imagine someone so narrow minded actually gets out of his Avery Ranch cookie cutter house for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Nope, i am only one person. The others share my opinion it seems. Again, to each his own. If you like that sort of lifestyle out there, then you are totally entitled to it. I am simply saying, that no one with any decent job or decent salary would live in Hutto. There are far too many nicer places around Austin to settle for a place like that. But if that works for you, then more power to you!

"nice" is relative and you have no clue as to what kind of income people have around here. You keep saying people are "settling" for Hutto. Get a grip...people live where they can afford. And, I'd be willing to bet there are many people living in what you call "nicer" areas that are knee deep in debt because they want to keep up with the joneses.

And what sort of "lifestyle" do the other places of Austin have that are superior to Hutto? How about you give some examples? What's a "decent" salary to you? Do you take into consideration people may have debt when they arrive here? Have you taken a look at the economy? Do you think people have a "choice"?

Also, I'd love to hear your version of how this land was acquired, who had it, what happened, etc, etc. Let's hear your "facts". Don't leave out names now...

You need to get out more.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I am simply saying, that no one with any decent job or decent salary would live in Hutto.
That is kind of funny, actually. The assumption that people live somewhere only for the reasons you would live somewhere. I don't know many people in Hutto (at least not off the top of my head), but the one that I do is a very good friend and makes very good money and has a very good job. I don't know exactly what he makes, but I am pretty sure it is well into six figures and he could live in one of the new condos downtown or in Terrytown or Westlake or where ever he wanted to. I am guessing that he lives there because a) it is close to where he works, b) it is inexpensive and he would rather spend his money on something other than property taxes, and c) he is a 'rural' sort of guy, doesn't have much use for a big city. Likes to hunt, likes to work on his little piece of land. He may move someday, who knows? But for now, he (and his wife) apparently have no reason to spend money to relocate themselves further from their work just to satisfy someone else opinion of where they should live.

I suppose not being materialistic is a negative these days

Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM

216 posts, read 996,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
That is kind of funny, actually. The assumption that people live somewhere only for the reasons you would live somewhere. I don't know many people in Hutto (at least not off the top of my head), but the one that I do is a very good friend and makes very good money and has a very good job. I don't know exactly what he makes, but I am pretty sure it is well into six figures and he could live in one of the new condos downtown or in Terrytown or Westlake or where ever he wanted to. I am guessing that he lives there because a) it is close to where he works, b) it is inexpensive and he would rather spend his money on something other than property taxes, and c) he is a 'rural' sort of guy, doesn't have much use for a big city. Likes to hunt, likes to work on his little piece of land. He may move someday, who knows? But for now, he (and his wife) apparently have no reason to spend money to relocate themselves further from their work just to satisfy someone else opinion of where they should live.

I really appreciate this reply. It's frustrating to read some of the comments at times. Thanks TW.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I heard all these same comments from co-workers 10 years ago when I decided on Pflugerville as my home.
I didn't care on lick as I got some land (6+ acres), peace and quiet (country life) and was still within 30 minutes to work and paid much less for that type of lifstyle then almost all of my co-workers.

People who keep up with the Jones' will always compare you to them as life is a status game. Sorry but I don't play that game and could give too hoots about "your boat on the lake" or how big your house is.

I'm a white collar worker who lives a blue collar life and I do love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:23 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:

Can I still love my bike though?

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-03-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
All of this negative talk about the suburbs really gets me angry. I currently reside in Travis County, but will be annexed to Pflugerville in 2010. The generalizations are really dumb, too -- because you live in a suburb, you are poor, uneducated, and tragically unhip. What a bunch of hooey! Did it occur to eepstein or any of the other suburb bashers that there are many people who live in suburbs because they are tired of urban living, especially Texans who like acreage and transplants who want a slower pace of life? I came from New YOrk City before I moved here and I absolutely do NOT want to live in an urban environment. I want a semi-rural life and that is why I moved here, not because I am stupid, or don't make enough money to live anywhere else.

Hutto and Pflugerville are nice little cities and they are improving each year. It's not easy for either of these places because they do not have access to I-35, but with the opening of more retail and perhaps other small companies, I can see both places going nowhere but up.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMoveAGAIN View Post
I really appreciate this reply. It's frustrating to read some of the comments at times. Thanks TW.
I like it too

Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 776 times
ok its 1012 WHERE is our Grocery STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people will be leaving soon if the city refuses to provide the basics LIKE a Grocery store

Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Are you serious? Do you really feel that it is the responsibility of the municipality to provide a grocery store for your convenience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin