Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM

55 posts, read 235,742 times

Advertisements

Home Depot sent a salesperson to our home yesterday to test our water. It rated very hard and we are interested in installing the system in our home. We did a little research but wanted to ask the good people on city-data. Please share your experiences/knowledge with Rain Soft.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 46,524 times
My husband and I purchased a Rainsoft system in 1983. I remember them calling it a purification system. With regular maintenance, and the replacement of the filtration cylinder thing once, it's working as well as the day it was installed. While friends and family have replaced and upgraded their systems over the years, ours still works perfectly. We live in a rural area and are on a well that has a very high iron content and it pulls every bit of it, leaving no signs of rust or residue. Then about ten years ago we purchased another system of theirs (service tech recommended) a Rainsoft Silver Series that is made specifically to pull rust from the water. This takes the pressure off the softening unit to pull the exceedingly high amount of rust. We consider that a great move because it will extend the life of the original unit even further. Nearly twenty six years and still going strong, not bad at all !! I have and will continue to recommend Rainsoft to anyone seeking a softening system. Hope this helps!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I worked for them right after high school when I was living in Houston. Granted, I was only a measly telemarketer, but they were actually good systems, or, I should say, are good systems. Never heard any complaints from people who bought them.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
If you do a little 'googling', there are quite a few discussions on Rain Soft and other systems...much of the negative regards the various sales pitches...much of that negative info is a few years old. We purchased the system even though many of our neighbors have not...anecdotal experience with our water fixtures suggested to me that our water needed a little help. The system is not cheap but we are pleased so far. If it holds up as some say it will, it will pay off in the long run maintenance-wise and in the short run quality-wise. Didn't hurt that putting it on HD's credit card gave us a year of no interest/payments. Now, if we can just find a way to cut down on those pesky cooling and watering bills!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 43,318 times
How much should it Cost to install this system in our house?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 63,279 times
I had one installed in 1999 and it never worked right. It cycled constantly. I tried to get them to fix or replace it for about 8 months.Finelly one of the head service people came out to replace it and they hooked it up wrong and leaked water all over the garage. I told them to forget it and take it back I didn't want it and they wouldn't. It was a nightmare! When I sold the house I left it there disconnected and told the new owners what happened. I do not recommend this system at all.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 AM

25 posts, read 98,706 times
Don't buy a Rainsoft system. We had one installed when we first moved to our house back in 1997 and it never worked right. It is a very expensive and complex system and the installation that was done by the local rep was terrible. They connected to the main using 1/2 inch pipe which reduced pressure throughout the house. They also installed it outside because running the pipes from the main line to the garage was "impossible" according to them. It also sat it on the ground with no solid foundation so as it started to settle in the dirt it started leaking. We now have a Culligan which was properly installed in the garage and it works great. We had it installed last year and it cost less than half what the Rainsoft cost in 97. I recomend you look and Culligan or Kinetico. Kinetico doesn't use electricity but it's more expensive than the Culligan and also has great reviews.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
We are a few months into our use of the RainSoft system and apart from the rather costly up front outlay, we are pleased. I will say that the claims that the water will be so pure that it won't spot the glass shower walls is partly incorrect...spots left to dry will leave a 'spot' but lighter than before. Guess that's what the 'squeegee' is for.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM

22 posts, read 147,401 times
RainSoft is one of the most expensive systems available. They do make decent equipment but are WAY WAY overpriced for what you get. Their marketing success relies on high-pressure sales people memorizing a script and required to close the deal while in your house. There are many other quality water softener systems as good as or better than RainSoft for a fraction of the cost, and without the hassle of dealing with a pushy, irritating salesman. Call Affordable Water Systems at 512-255-1425 for a phone quote so you'll know before you buy.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 40,131 times
I have had my Rain Soft equipment for years and it has worked very well for me and my family! There are definitely cheap systems out there but check things like warranty and materials used to manufacture and you should see some differences!! Rain Soft had the best warranty on the market and for something we were going to use for years and everytime we open a faucet, warranty was important. In this day and age though cost is certainly a factor, just make sure to compare apples to apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: