Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There should be a seperation of those who want to get a higher education and those who want to become mechanics, carpenters, brick layers, painters etc so these kids don't bring each other down!
Wow, seriously? Should there also be a seperation of those based on ethnicity? You know about those minorities, don't you????

.... and god forbid those "higher education kids" (whatever that means and whoever they are) being exposed to the idea of liking hardwork as a chosen career... you know what might happen then....

Diversity, and exposure to such, beyond just race and ethnicity, is a positive thing, educational, and prepares children for the real world. Well, the real world outside of the high end suburbia bubble existance, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
O.k, don't know if you meant that the way it sounds, but "those who want to get a higher education and those who want to become mechanics, carpenters, brick layers, painters, etc...." but if I aspired to be a more work with my hands type person, I'd be totally mad about that. To be very good at any of those fields requires lots of hard work and even education and training. What would "people with higher educations" do if there weren't people who wanted to do those things? Where would they live, who would paint murals on their walls, lay their stained concrete driveways, fix their foreign cars, etc...? I may have a rare opinion here, but I think that people don't have to aim to be tecchies, be accountants, or the like to be successful because they choose careers like that.
As I wrote above I am ESL...I should have used Academic route and not Higher education although it is a higher education because the bar is continually being raised and generally with much higher payoff at the end.
Education pays ...

Education pays in higher earnings and lower unemployment rates
[LEFT]http://www.bls.gov/emp/edupay.jpg (broken link)
[Chart data—TXT]
[/LEFT]
Note: Data are 2007 annual averages for persons age 25 and over. Earnings are for full-time wage and salary workers.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Survey.
BLS has some data on the employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population 25 years and over by educational attainment, sex, race, and Hispanic origin online.
The Bureau of the Census also has some data on the educational attainment online.

Last Modified Date: April 15, 2008

If you had continued my quote you would see that the goal of my argument was for improvement for everyone!

For the record I am probably much better at working with my hands and do it more frequently than those of you that seem to want to misunderstand me!

Last edited by S6Sputnik; 08-07-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Have you paid for a plumber lately?

By the way, the young folks that I know who are making the most money right now are the ones who were hired before they finished college, being made offers they couldn't refuse, and continuing to climb the financial ladder based on their performance in those careers.

This is not to say that a college education isn't a good thing - it is. However, it's no guarantee of making more money these days.

I don't think there should be different schools, but I do think that there should be different, equally highly regarded, classes for those who are academically inclined and those who are more interested in hands-on training.

Florence High School in Texas has a well-known meat science program (http://www.txfb.org/texasagriculture/2001/110201meatcutters.htm - broken link) in their high school. Students of that program are hired right out of high school (the linked article doesn't mention it, but I've read other articles were the starting salary of $60,000 was mentioned for some); some work part-time to pay their way through college, others go straight into the field of their choice with an education that allows them to do that a jump ahead of the competition.

If the courses were offered at the same school (as here) and anyone could take any courses they were interested in beyond the basics, I think that would be a major improvement in our high schools. As shown, it IS happening some places.

The trick is to get some folks over the idea that one kind of learning/way of making an honest living is "better than" another. My kids were both gifted and talented and aced the SATs in 7th grade, so this isn't sour grapes talking, just reality.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
O.k, don't know if you meant that the way it sounds, but "those who want to get a higher education and those who want to become mechanics, carpenters, brick layers, painters, etc...." but if I aspired to be a more work with my hands type person, I'd be totally mad about that. To be very good at any of those fields requires lots of hard work and even education and training. What would "people with higher educations" do if there weren't people who wanted to do those things? Where would they live, who would paint murals on their walls, lay their stained concrete driveways, fix their foreign cars, etc...? I may have a rare opinion here, but I think that people don't have to aim to be tecchies, be accountants, or the like to be successful because they choose careers like that.
I didn't get that out of the post. I guess I don't really see 'higher education' as being all that necessary or required for prestiege...ex: Michael Dell, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs.... carpenters, mechanics, etc. spend quite a bit 'in school'...they may not be writing essays, but they're studying. 15 Successful Entrepreneurs Who Didn’t Need College | College-Startup

Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Wow, seriously? Should there also be a seperation of those based on ethnicity? You know about those minorities, don't you????

.... and god forbid those "higher education kids" (whatever that means and whoever they are) being exposed to the idea of liking hardwork as a chosen career... you know what might happen then....

Diversity, and exposure to such, beyond just race and ethnicity, is a positive thing, educational, and prepares children for the real world. Well, the real world outside of the high end suburbia bubble existance, anyway.
I don't think that the seperation is self directed, not government or school directed. I think being successful in any field involves hard work. I don't get what diversity has to do with kids being able to focus on, and feel successful in, the courses they choose, rather than a one size fits all approach.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't think that the seperation is self directed, not government or school directed. I think being successful in any field involves hard work. I don't get what diversity has to do with kids being able to focus on, and feel successful in, the courses they choose, rather than a one size fits all approach.
Thank you for saying what I meant, way better than I could!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:22 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
To those who are upset about spending money on stadiums, etc. I completely agree! However, everyone seems to vote for the bonds when they come on the ballot. If people didn't vote for them, they couldn't build them, at least not with tax money. They would be forced to do things like find sponsors to help cover the costs.

And I truly believe that poor performance in school is directly related to the environment at home. Whether it's parents who work too much, can't speak English, just don't care, whatever, parental involvement and an emphasis at home on the importance of education is key. And this knows absolutely no racial bounds. Trust me, there are plenty of lazy white parents out there. I do think income rates reflect this a little bit. However, I don't think a lower income is the reason economically disadvataged kids do worse. I think a large number are economically disadvantaged because their parents are poorly educated themselves and have a general lack of motivation.

My dad taught 7th grade math for 30 years at a very white, very poor school. He will be the first one to tell you that the reason so many of the kids didn't do well is because their parents just didn't care. They had no desire to better themselves, let alone their children.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,134 times
Default TX IS a whole other country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Cheers! From the standpoint of High School you are right. There should be a seperation of those who want to get a higher education and those who want to become mechanics, carpenters, brick layers, painters etc so these kids don't bring each other down!
I'm surprised to hear this. I'm in Pennsylvania and even when I went to HS (20+ years ago) there was a "College Track" where kids would take Calculus, etc. Kids who were more interested in the trades would then take courses that were in their interest area and prepare them for future work, including what we called "Business Math" which taught them how to set up and financially care for a small business. Is this not available in Texas's HS?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Okay, this is now way off the original topic. There is a sub-forum for general education issues.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin