Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times

Advertisements

We must keep in mind that while property taxes are running 2 - 3% of property values, depending on where you are coming from, it is offset by the lack of state income tax. Coming from Ontario, Canada, the high property tax is 50% or less than what my wife and I are currently paying in provincial income tax.

I am not sure if PA has a state income tax and how this would compare to the Texas property tax.

Last edited by iceshots; 08-05-2008 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:38 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I've lived in Houston and Denver. Austin falls somewhere in the middle of there humidity wise. It's not super dry or heavily humid.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:07 AM

485 posts, read 1,959,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni5 View Post
1) The heat. I really do not want to go back and deal with the heat like I had in Florida. Many people say that the heat is a "dry" heat and it's not anything like Florida so in that sense it's promising.
I don't like heat, but I would pick Austin over anywhere in the Southeast in a heartbeat. The humidity is much lower in Florida. My extended family lives in FL and SC and everytime we visit in the summer, I get drenched in humidity and sweat just walking outside...it's not like that here. You should probably come and visit to check it out for yourself. This summer has been extremely hot in comparison to other summers - last really hot summer with 30+ days in a row of 100+ I can remember is 98 - but it's not like this every year. Last year was quite cool with lots of rain into July.

Quote:
2) Rattlesnakes. How common are those? That terrifies me, once again, because of my small children and playing outdoors.
I have never seen a rattlesnake in Texas, even hiking out in the woods (not that we do a lot of that), and the only one I've ever heard about was shot by a friend of my dad's who almost stepped on it while they were hunting on some huge Hill Country ranch. If you're living in a neighborhood in the city or a burb, you'll never see one. They don't like you as much as you don't like them.

Quote:
3) Scorpions. How common are those? They also scare me because of the same reason the rattlesnakes do.
We have only see scorpions in the house (2 or 3 over a 2 year period) out in Steiner Ranch. We don't live there anymore, and in our current neighborhood, I have never seen a scorpion. I vaguely remember reading something about how they like to live in the sandy, rocky soil - which is more west. New construction stirs them up which is why we saw them in the house. Unless you're living west of Mopac in a very new neighborhood, you probably will never see them.

Quote:
5) What about landscape? I picture Texas to be flat with a desert look to it. What's it look like? Does it have a lot of trees or any mountains?
Well, this IS called the Hill Country. No, we aren't totally flat. In fact, you can see the geologic dividing line in Austin. East Austin is pretty flat (little rolling hills) with farmland) and West Austin is very hilly (with some cliffs even) and is drier, sandier, and rockier. In fact, google "hill country pictures".

A closer-in 2000 s.f. house might cost about 300K+, a farther-out (Cedar Park, Round Rock) 2000 s.f. house will be less $200+, or so. Friends just sold their 10 year old limestone 1750 s.f. house in Round Rock with a huge yard for $165K, so newer nice houses can be found.

Taxes are high, just figure 3% to ballpark it. At least it's tax deductible... And our property taxes are high but there are NO state income taxes in Texas.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM

27 posts, read 127,251 times
Wow.....a lot to think about.

PA does have a state income tax and a bunch of other taxes, as well. I think the property taxes are less though, because on a $250,000 house the tax is about $3500. However, you have to spend between $400-$500,000 to get a decent house. It's crazy.

When we moved up from Florida we were shocked to find the price of housing up here. In Florida it was so affordable compared to the north.

A few of you have mentioned the lakes around Austin for activities. Are they meant to swim in? I assume you don't have alligator issues like Florida? In Florida you don't dare step into a lake/pond or anything like that. Just curious since Texas is a warm state, too.

Well, I guess some of my fears have been minimized now. I still have those darn scorpions on my mind, though. I NEVER want to encounter one of them. I'm a wimp with just carpenter ants or small spiders. (hehe)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
A few of you have mentioned the lakes around Austin for activities. Are they meant to swim in? I assume you don't have alligator issues like Florida? In Florida you don't dare step into a lake/pond or anything like that. Just curious since Texas is a warm state, too.
Alligators are confined to Florida, GA, SC I think. Yes, we go swimming in the lakes around here. There are lots of boating, skidoo-ing, etc. The only alligator story I remember was someone found a baby alligator in Town Lake about 10 years ago...obviously some moron had it as a pet and let it loose. Otherwise, no alligators.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
The water around here is mostly spring supplied, so for much of the year it is way too cold for alligators. In the summer, the lakes warm up quite a bit (Travis, Buchanan, etc.), but since alligators aren't much on migrating, no problems .

There are quite a few gators in East Texas (I saw many around Huntsville) and all along the coast they are present to some degree, but it seems that they are more common around the central coast. Guadalupe River from, say, Victoria on down has gators in large numbers, and down in Brazoria county there were quite a few.

There are no crocodiles that I am aware of, though, and they are the more aggressive of the two species. I cannot actually recall anyone being hurt by a gator anywhere in Texas recently, although I am sure a drunk guy somewhere has a story to tell.....

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times
Quote:
Hmmm.....can you give me an example of the yearly property taxes there? People may have a different perspective as to what "high" means. I have read that, though, so I am curious.

I appreciate all the info. It's helping me to learn more about the area. I still feel a little undecided, though. I don't know why the heat is scaring me off. Geez, I was born and raised in Florida. I don't know. I guess because in PA we are starting to flirt with the 70's weatherwise and that is just wonderful.

I spoke to my husband last night and he said it was VERY hot there yesterday. He said you just stepped outside and it was like walking into a mouth.

Is there much crime in Austin? I know every city has their crime. But I guess comparing it to PA which has shootings every single night and even day.

I grew up in the northeast (Maryland - suburbs of DC), so I can tell you that, while Austin is a pleasant place to live and decent place to raise a family - the climate will be, if not disappointing, at least a culture shock.

It isn't the hottest place to live, but it's pretty darn hot - especially if you're used to that northern weather. There (technically) are seasons here, but I'm of the opinion that there is zero fall (or spring) foliage display. Trees here (in my opinion) come in 2 colors - green and dead. I remember the breathtaking falls and springs up north and all the amazing colors that would last for months - they don't have that here. Locals and long-time residents will post about 97 responses arguing to the contrary, but I'm a northerner sister and I'm tellin' ya - they have spring for like 5 minutes and it's gone. Same with fall. Don't let the locals fool you.

Crime is (compared to what you're used to) non existent. Again - don't let the locals fool you - they'd like to think they live in an edgy city with typical metropolitan crime - nada. Especially if you move out to the suburbs. Speed traps are notorious here because the cops have no actual crime to prevent - so they spend all their time catching people going 66 in a 65. Seriously - be more afraid of the speed traps than the spiders or snakes.

The landscape in central Texas is relatively green by Texas standards, so I don't think you'll be disappointed there. The hill country in particular can be quite lovely most of the year.

Snow - in this part of Texas - almost never, but get ready for ice that absolutely stops the Earth from rotating on its axis. I spent several years in Nebraska where life does not stop for a hard winter. If it even THREATENS to ice over here (which it does about once/twice a year) - the governor practically calls out the National Guard. I wish I were kidding. At first I found it annoying - now I find it humorous and take advantage of the free vacation days to snuggle up in the house.

One big prop I will give to this part of the country is the (relatively) cheap livin' and the friendly people. Coming from the north - it freaked me out when total strangers were so nice and held doors open for me - but now I like it. And by the way - they think calling you "mam" is polite. I've been around and around with my (native Texas) husband about how that's generally perceived as rude up north - he thinks I made it up. It's just good manners here so you'll have to get used to it.

Overall - I like it here and don't mind making fun of everyone up north when they're buried in snow.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There are quite a few gators in East Texas (I saw many around Huntsville) and all along the coast they are present to some degree, but it seems that they are more common around the central coast. Guadalupe River from, say, Victoria on down has gators in large numbers, and down in Brazoria county there were quite a few.
Are there really?! That's creepy! I had never heard that they were in East Texas....not that I go swimming in ponds, but that's unnerving!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Where are you in PA? I am from the Phila 'burbs.

Quote:
I enjoy the change in seasons and the landscape with hills and trees.

- This is the one thing I miss more than anything else. There are really no defined seasons. There's hot, crazy hot, not quite so hot, and cool (which people down here think is akin to 30 below). And the latter only lasts for about 2 days.

We currently own a townhouse which I hate and would love to live back in a house one day. We will never be able to afford one up here or at least we won't for several years. The houses are astronomically priced up here. I feel bad because we have three small children (all under 6 years old) and they are so limited in things they can do as far as riding a bike, etc, because there are no real streets or sidewalks at all since it's more like an apartment community.

- Austin is by far more affordable than the Northeast.

These are the things that scare me:

1) The heat. I really do not want to go back and deal with the heat like I had in Florida. Many people say that the heat is a "dry" heat and it's not anything like Florida so in that sense it's promising.

- Not gonna lie to you. It's hot. Humid or not, 105 is hot. And after 3 months of 100+ heat, it starts to get to you.

2) Rattlesnakes. How common are those? That terrifies me, once again, because of my small children and playing outdoors.

- I have never seen one, but I do know people who have. I have, however, seen a coral snake (also venomous) in our neighbor's front yard.

3) Scorpions. How common are those? They also scare me because of the same reason the rattlesnakes do.

- Yep. Depends where you live though. We live in the far west part of Austin and on a greenbelt, so we see them. We have probably seen 5 or 6 in the house in the past 3 years. They aren't really an issue in other parts of town.

4) What are the temperatures like there? Are the 100 degree days the norm for summer? If so, that's WAY hotter than Florida.

- Yep, it's hot. See above.

5) What about landscape? I picture Texas to be flat with a desert look to it. What's it look like? Does it have a lot of trees or any mountains?
- It's not a desert, but it doesn't look like PA either. There are no mountains. There are hills, but even the "big" ones are small in comparison to what you have now. There are lots of trees, but they are relatively small. There aren't the towering oaks that are twice as tall as the houses that you are used to. So, I think it feels as though there are less trees than there really are.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
but get ready for ice that absolutely stops the Earth from rotating on its axis
It really is economics, to some degree. The roads are not designed to be safe in ice, nor are the cities prepared to deal with the ice. The cost of correcting those two issues is much higher than the occasional day off . I think that, on average, there is probably about one ice day per year (we go many years w/o any).

Quote:
"mam"
That's ma'am, ma'am . Never though about it, but I guess that is a shortened madam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin