Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,616 times

Advertisements

I am brazilian, white, baptist and I am intending imigrate to USA(legally), maybe to live in a small city of texas. I choice texas because I think is a nice place and many people say to me, that in texas has many baptists.
I would like to know if I decided it, how I will be treated because I am foreing?? I will be discriminated because I am not US citizen?? If I make this decision, I will arrive with money to buy a house (simple) and to buy a heavy truck to work like owner truck driver.
Anyone can help me with some kind of information or sugestions??
P.S.: Forgive all of you, my bad english (yet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 AM

433 posts, read 1,658,068 times
There's a large Brazilian community here in Austin and the surrounding suburbs and I know many of them love it here. You will have no problems blending in here.

Many of them meet through Ana Brasil, who has a small boutique in Austin where she sells Brazilian products. You can do a Web search to find her site.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Since you intend to immigrate legally, you should be fine. There are 2 moms in our moms group who immigrated here from S. America (legally). We love them to death My husband is an owner-operator. You will need to make sure you get a CDL number (I think that's what it's called) and various other numbers and insurances. You also must pass an annual physical and drug test. Keep your truck in good condition because cops will pull you over from time to time for truck inspections and if something isn't right, you will either be ticketed or delayed until the issue is resolved. There is plenty of work available for owner-operators in this entire region.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,254 times
Como vai! As another poster mentioned, Austin has a great Brazilian community, occasionally Brazilian music, and at least Carnival. There are at least 3 Brazilian restaurants, some probably more authentic than others. Churrasco is kind of trendy here right now. It's kind of funny to think you find it everywhere in Brazil including truck stops.

Anyway, University of Texas also has a Brazilian group that you could visit/join. And there are lots of nice small communities around Austin where you could live.

Tchauzinho.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Como vai! As another poster mentioned, Austin has a great Brazilian community, occasionally Brazilian music, and at least Carnival. There are at least 3 Brazilian restaurants, some probably more authentic than others. Churrasco is kind of trendy here right now. It's kind of funny to think you find it everywhere in Brazil including truck stops.

Anyway, University of Texas also has a Brazilian group that you could visit/join. And there are lots of nice small communities around Austin where you could live.

Tchauzinho.
Hi aaauger,
Thank you for your interest and informations about my thread. I intend move next january or february maybe.
I loved your portuguese words: Como vai and Tchauzinho. Very good. Go ahead!!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Since you intend to immigrate legally, you should be fine. There are 2 moms in our moms group who immigrated here from S. America (legally). We love them to death My husband is an owner-operator. You will need to make sure you get a CDL number (I think that's what it's called) and various other numbers and insurances. You also must pass an annual physical and drug test. Keep your truck in good condition because cops will pull you over from time to time for truck inspections and if something isn't right, you will either be ticketed or delayed until the issue is resolved. There is plenty of work available for owner-operators in this entire region.
Hi love roses,
Thank you for your words and informations. I am happy to know you love foreign people, without discriminate against and because your husband is a owner-operator and the area is plenty of work to owners-operator.
I pray for God bless my decision.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Research carefully. There is a shortage of truck drivers but trucking companies are seeing high gas prices eat into their profits so they are struggling. Independent truck operators are also finding problems with high gas prices eating into their income.

And you will need to be licensed to be a truck driver and will be tested. But you can google this easy.

Last edited by minibrings; 09-26-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Yes, my husband would agree...gas prices are an issue. He's an independant operator and if what they offer barely covers what it would cost in gas he won't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin