Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,111 times

Advertisements

Alright - I'm going to be enrolling at UT soon. I'm a closeted college age male and I really want to be myself and start fresh in this new town. I've never been to Austin before. Where I come from homosexuality is basically forbidden. Will Austin be more accepting of my lifestyle? Is this a smart choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Yes!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,250 times
Although it looks like you missed this year's, Austin even has its very own Gay and Lesbian Film Festival aGLIFF :: Austin Gay and Lesbian International Film Festival

Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
No, there is a negative/apathetic attitude that dominates over the University towards gays and especially amongst gay people. Gay people tend to be prejudice and negative towards one another for little or no reason, and that is laughably stupid if you ask me. Around the UT campus you will see NO gay pride; however, there is no outright aggression or violence. The sexuality center in the student service building is pitiful.

The gay festivals are really very overrated. I went to the Austin Gay Pride Parade over the summer and it was extremely lame. As a gay male you will have much trouble finding others to relate to as Austin is more of a good city for lesbians than it is for gay men.

The gay bars are the only place where you can find others to hookup with or have sex with. Gay bars are extremely sexual so if you like that then you will fit in; however, you will put yourself at risk for disease and other drama. The fun gay bars are Oilcan and Rain. They are small and usually pack in 60-80 people on thurseday-saturday. Rainbow Cattle Company bar is a raunchy dump most of the time. Charlies is alright but has a bad reputation for no reason. All the bars you go to are going to have a mix of losers and druggies.

Overall it isn't a good city for gays. Too many gays living up to their own stereotype.

Dallas and Houston are more progressive cities with better gay communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverdrawnSean View Post
Alright - I'm going to be enrolling at UT soon. I'm a closeted college age male and I really want to be myself and start fresh in this new town. I've never been to Austin before. Where I come from homosexuality is basically forbidden. Will Austin be more accepting of my lifestyle? Is this a smart choice?

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-16-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Please don't listen to artsyguy - he's upset because we don't have a gay ghetto here so he can't figure out how to get a date, based strictly on what he's said in so many words in the past here. Listen to the other gay Austin folk who post here regularly.

Me, I personally could care what someone else does in their own bed; not my business or concern. The gay friends that I have whose orientation I DO know (because of who they bring to parties, mostly) seem to feel perfectly comfortable and accepted here.

Then, of course, there's Leslie. Who's run for Mayor twice (and gotten votes) and is a much beloved Austin monument. Not sure if he's gay, bi, or what - but he is one indicator of the level of acceptance here.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Not true, I know of several gay men who have moved out of Austin to find better gay communities. It is the quality and maturity level of the people that also counts very much, Austin doesn't have that. Don't say I didn't warn you when it hits the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Please don't listen to artsyguy - he's upset because we don't have a gay ghetto here so he can't figure out how to get a date, based strictly on what he's said in so many words in the past here. Listen to the other gay Austin folk who post here regularly.

Me, I personally could care what someone else does in their own bed; not my business or concern. The gay friends that I have whose orientation I DO know (because of who they bring to parties, mostly) seem to feel perfectly comfortable and accepted here.

Then, of course, there's Leslie. Who's run for Mayor twice (and gotten votes) and is a much beloved Austin monument. Not sure if he's gay, bi, or what - but he is one indicator of the level of acceptance here.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,250 times
It appears that from the first post that the poster is just tired of hiding who he is. It's not clear that he wants a big gay lifestyle. If he is coming from a small town where he is constantly having to look over his shoulder for bubbas wielding base ball bats, I think he will feel much more relaxed in Austin. If he wants to come to Austin to study and not hide who he is, he should be fine. Sure there are probably better places to "be" gay, but his wanting a place to get a good education while in an accepting environment, I think he's making a good choice.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Jennibc is correct. Good post Jenni! I just don't want him to get his hopes up. It is really really hard to find a BF or safe casual sex in Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
It appears that from the first post that the poster is just tired of hiding who he is. It's not clear that he wants a big gay lifestyle. If he is coming from a small town where he is constantly having to look over his shoulder for bubbas wielding base ball bats, I think he will feel much more relaxed in Austin. If he wants to come to Austin to study and not hide who he is, he should be fine. Sure there are probably better places to "be" gay, but his wanting a place to get a good education while in an accepting environment, I think he's making a good choice.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Jennibc is correct. Good post Jenni! I just don't want him to get his hopes up. It is really really hard to find a BF or safe casual sex in Austin.
I guess I'd be aiming more for the "good bf" over "casual sex", and of course I'll be new to the whole world of dating/romance so this'll be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I'm not looking for an overt "gay lifestyle", just normal/acceptance.

I have to say that just from what I've heard in this thread it's probably going to be a MUCH better environment then around my hometown. I'm mostly worried about getting beat up or worse, and it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,245 times
It's interesting. I would imagine that West Hollywood (where I used to live) would be an awesome place to "be gay." I mean, it's a fabulous gay mecca over there! TONS of gay clubs, guys in drag/cute go-go boys/guys making out/being themselves, etc...

However I've also heard of a lot of people getting beaten up there. A friend of mine got pretty badly beaten for "being gay" (and, ironically, he's not).

I can't really imagine that happening in Austin. But I guess it could happen anywhere. I haven't been here very long, but Austin seems to have a very "live and let live" attitude. When my friend (different one from above) visited me in West Hollywood (from Boston), he remarked that he would never move there. I was pretty surprised and I asked why. "Too gay," he replied. HAH! I do know, however, that he had a blast and got laid a LOT while he was there, heh.

As for meeting people, maybe try meetup.com. And my friend used to go on gay.com, but that was several years ago (and seemed mostly for hookups), so I don't know how relevent it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: