Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,217 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I’m thinking about moving my family to the Round Rock area (or Austin, or maybe other areas, but we’re leaning towards Round Rock).

I’d like to get some information that I won’t be able to pick up in a relocation guide. I’d appreciate a local’s view on which neighborhoods have:

- Houses on larger lots (I don’t want to feel like I’m living in a sardine can)
- Tree lined streets with sidewalks so you can take a nice walk with the kids

- Neighborhoods that decorate for the holidays and is fun to trick-or-treat in
- Friendly neighborhood get-togethers for bbq, etc.
- Any chance there is a neighborhood that you can stroll to shops, a downtown plaza, coffee, etc.?
- Bad neighborhoods in and around the area, including other cities or Austin (lots of crime, gangs, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Round Rock West subdivision might fit your needs. About 5 minutes from downtown RR.
Nice park there with a big lake. Older neighborhood with lots of big trees and large lots.
Good schools.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,128,408 times
You may also want to investigate Cedar Park. It sits between Round Rock and Austin. I think you may be able to find everything on your list. Of course it is hard to give a great suggestion without knowing your housing budget.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM

433 posts, read 1,658,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
You may also want to investigate Cedar Park. It sits between Round Rock and Austin.
Cedar Park is northwest of Round Rock and farther away from Austin.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
You might also want to investigate Georgetown.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,217 times
Here's an update to my original post:

- I was hoping for a price range around $150k. Is this possible? If not, what is the price range for what I was asking.
- And, I don't think I worded it correctly, but regarding bad neighborhoods, maybe I should save that for another post. I just wanted to be aware of where the bad neighborhoods are located.

Also, does anyone know of any site that has lots of photos of Round Rock? Downtown, around town, festivals, street parades, etc. I checked flickr and on the web, but I haven't found too much.

thanks again for all your replies and help.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM

433 posts, read 1,658,955 times
Not significant bad areas in RR.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM

426 posts, read 1,674,869 times
The only halfway bad area in RR is the older area around old town/downtown... but even then - it's not that bad as much as it is older/worn down in some parts. The majority of the crime in RR is north of 79, east of Mays, south of Old Settlers (3406) and west of Sunrise. That area more than likely doesn't fit what you're looking for either.

As for the other requests... I don't think I know of anything specifically that may match. Teravista strikes me as a friendly/neighborly party type place but is definitely not tree lined... etc. I really don't know of any neighborhoods in the area that kinda has that town square in the middle of a middle-upper class type neighborhood. When I took some zoning and planning courses in college, there were a couple planned in the region but I don't know if any of them ever got underway.

My personal neighborhood (chandler creek) - we have the tree lined streets with nice sidewalks for walks, but the houses are on tiny cramped lots. It's very friendly with lots of neighbor get togethers, etc... great for kids, halloween, xmas, but no shopping or anything within walking distance (as of now).

Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,712,621 times
On the general Texas forum a few posters took pictures around Round Rock. RGV is one of them, don't know who the others were.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 AM

38 posts, read 95,737 times
Hi, I see that 6 months ago you were asking the same questions as I would today. Have you moved and would you care to share your experiences. We are also looking to move to RR with two daughthers who are 10 and 6 and are looking for a nice, family-friendly neighborhood, kind of like something you've described. We are currently living overseas and it makes it all the more difficult to find a place. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin