Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 PM

45 posts, read 248,021 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where I can find graphs or even raw data that will show trends of house prices in the Austin area? Something similar to the Case Shiller reports (S&P | Indices > Alternative Indices - S&P/Case-Shiller® Home Price Indices - Home Price Values) would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:52 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,125 times
I'd like to know too.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:11 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Yes, if only Case-Shiller included Austin! I download the C-S files each time they are updated. Very interesting trends but it doesn't really help us in Austin.

Buddy up to realtor or a title company, they have that kind of data but it lags about 2 months, so even then, it is not super-helpful to buyers.

Austin-Steve has a blog and he updates housing stats fairly regularly. If you find something out there please share.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Real estate agents have access to the sold prices as soon as a house sells, via the MLS. However, we're not allowed to give out the sales prices on a specific house except to clients (someone who's hired us as their agent) for comparative market analysis purposes, Texas being a nondisclosure state.

A title company is your best bet for statistical data. They do those regularly and many agents use the information from the title companies in their listing presentations, blogs (with permission), etc. However, as said, it does lag behind real-time.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 PM

149 posts, read 498,438 times
HousingTracker.net: Median Home Asking Price & Inventory Data for Austin, Texas

Course indicator but shows the trend. Inventory number should be very close to real.

Price trends for the specific house/area - you can get from Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information | Zillow Real Estate and ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents

Hope it will help

Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Zillow is WAY off for the reason given above - Texas is a nondisclosure state. Zillow only has access to the list price and the information the tax appraiser has - and the tax appraiser doesn't have the sales price unless the seller or buyer gives it to them, and most don't. (Only good reason to do so is if you paid LESS than the tax appraisal and are contesting your appraisal.) Thus, Zillow can be, and is, $50,000 to $100,000 off on a regular basis because garbage in, garbage out.

The same would hold for the others, because the law, and thus the lack of access to accurate information, is the same for all.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,125 times
Well, THL, can you give us a feel for where things are closing right now? I just see TONS of stuff sitting for going on 6-9 months now.

I inquired about a house and the REA just kept on going on how great of a price it was. I wasn't convinced. The fact that is all she could focus on, makes me less likely to bid as I think they won't be willing to consider my offer.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Was this your real estate agent, or the listing agent? If your agent, they should be providing you with comps for that specific house so that you can make a realistic bid (not too high, not so low that they won't consider it, if you really want the house). If the listing agent, well, it's her job to go on about how great a price it is. Her fiduciary responsibility is to the seller, not to you.

As for where things are right now, in flux. (Helpful, huh?) It depends a great deal on where in the Austin area you're talking about. Overall, sales are down right now; however, prices are a bit higher than the same month last year. (This is slightly older data.) Yeah, I know, weird, but that's Austin for you!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Zillow is WAY off for the reason given above - Texas is a nondisclosure state.

Yes. But it can give one the recent sales in the area of interest and one can look up the deeds. Just a little bit of an assumption (ie first loan is 80% of the purchase price as the most common case) and here you are . Granted, the deeds are showing up with 1-2 month delay but it is better than nothing

Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Well, THL, can you give us a feel for where things are closing right now? I just see TONS of stuff sitting for going on 6-9 months now.
Register on ziprealty and do a search for listings in the area of interest (Zip code). The nice feature of that site is that it shows the price history ie when there was a price drop (if any) and how much for the active listings.
Do your homework and don't take the word of the realtor (due to conflict of interests) for granted

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: