Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Please no flames. I am posting this in the Austin forums for awareness.
This economic crisis is working it's way through the system and it is hitting Texas.

We should be thankful though that we are still much better off than other states BUT..we are not immune.

This is Dallas ISD that will be laying off teachers although from other articles I read..teachers will be the last ones..they will do everything they can to reduce their budget before laying off teachers.

As consumer spending dries up..so do City, County, State revenues.

KXAN.com - News, Weather, Sports - Austin, TX | 150 Dallas school employees lose jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,610 times
I agree that we are doing better than other states but that also we aren't/will not be immune to some of the current economic troubles but the reason for the DISD layoffs is that they thought they had $80 some million and worked it all into the budget. Later they discovered the mistake and now are having to pay the consequences. That was funds they never had to start with and can't possibly justify the budget for it.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,450 times
Austin is known for having a good amount of start ups and entrepreneurs. These start ups need financing. That financing is quickly drying up.

No one is immune. It is dangerous to think you are.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
Happy and Exiled -- there is enough worry and concern without trying to create hype and bs.

Dallas ISD has been a notoriously corrupt and incompetent organization for YEARS. Talking decades of various messes, millions missing, on and on. The current mess with Dallas ISD has NOTHING to do with credit markets, peak oil, end of the world, or space alien attacks. To imply that it does takes away from placing the responsibility on the Dallas ISD admin -- where it totally belongs.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,450 times
Phillip-

I agree Dallas' mess has nothing to do with the credit events. But the lack of liquidity in the markets right now is causing enough damage.

While I think there is an extreme reaction going on right now in the markets, I don't believe all of it is illogical. I think you also assume my comment was one based upon hypothetical assumptions. That may not be the case.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Happy and Exiled -- there is enough worry and concern without trying to create hype and bs.

Dallas ISD has been a notoriously corrupt and incompetent organization for YEARS. Talking decades of various messes, millions missing, on and on. The current mess with Dallas ISD has NOTHING to do with credit markets, peak oil, end of the world, or space alien attacks. To imply that it does takes away from placing the responsibility on the Dallas ISD admin -- where it totally belongs.
PhilipT..I am not creating hype and bs..please note that I posted that to inform people. We here in Texas are NOT in a bubble.

Mess or no mess..the fact that teachers are targeted should say something..cutting back budgets has happened in the past and laying off teachers was not something I remember reading.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
PhilipT..I am not creating hype and bs..please note that I posted that to inform people. We here in Texas are NOT in a bubble.

Mess or no mess..the fact that teachers are targeted should say something..cutting back budgets has happened in the past and laying off teachers was not something I remember reading.
They cut these teachers . . . because they had just hired a several hundred new teachers. They never had the budget to hire the new teachers to start with. It really was/is that simple. The admin for Dallas ISD are truly retards who cannot do or will not check basic math.

I agree Texas is just moments from going over the edge with the rest of the US. Our hit will happen when the energy market begins to fully collapse -- as it did in 1986-7. The energy market has already started to go over the edge, but there is a delay in the impact on us, here. However, none of that is related to the Dallas ISD and teachers.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,769 times
So teaching isn't a safe haven, either. Just what is!

Last edited by marylee54; 10-12-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
So teaching isn't a safe haven, either. Just what is!
Marylee, it is far more basic than this . . . .

Working for incompetent and/or corrupt people is a not a safe haven -- turns out in practice, that is what makes a very UNsafe position.

Has nothing to do with teaching, or even if you are good, bad, or indifferent.

Solomon (in Proverbs) probably said it best -- The Fool's Companion Suffers Harm.

Works that way for folks who work for incompetent crooks like the Dallas ISD.

Works that way for tellers in banks that get shut down due to incompetence and/or crooked behavior. Does not mean being a bank teller is good or bad -- Just do not work for incompetents and crooks.

Works that way for troops under BushCorp with the incompetents and crooks. They are harmed by the leadership of fools.

Teaching is fine. Just look out who you are working for.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,659 times
This is sad news. Hope it does not hit ATX. If it does.... I hope I get a tax break out of it due to soaring property / school taxes I pay out...

Last edited by Mike78613; 10-13-2008 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: