Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 19,331 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Anyone else out there that just moved to Austin from another state/country/planet? I'm looking for other newbies to relate to and share info. with in terms of getting around and getting to know the city.

I just moved here from Toronto a few months ago. I've gone to Zilker park, the Green Belt, Town Lake, Mt. Bonnell, the Alamo, the San Antonio River Walk, Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch (Safari), Cascade Cavers, Fredericksburg, Corpus Cristi Beaches/Exhibitions and Schliterbahn. Can you recommend some places to visit and some things to do do in Central Texas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnNewbie View Post
Hello!

Anyone else out there that just moved to Austin from another state/country/planet? I'm looking for other newbies to relate to and share info. with in terms of getting around and getting to know the city.

I just moved here from Toronto a few months ago. I've gone to Zilker park, the Green Belt, Town Lake, Mt. Bonnell, the Alamo, the San Antonio River Walk, Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch (Safari), Cascade Cavers, Fredericksburg, Corpus Cristi Beaches/Exhibitions and Schliterbahn. Can you recommend some places to visit and some things to do do in Central Texas?

Thanks!

Ive been in tx more than 15 years and you have done more than me

Old 10-04-2008, 09:31 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Why don't you join one of the meetup.com groups in austin. They have tons of activities and you can choose what you're interested in and join the appropriate group. It's a great way to meet people also.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnNewbie View Post
Hello!

Thanks!
We just moved down from Toronto 6 weeks ago and have not been able to do any of the things on your list.

Our time has been used up in school registrations (15 yr old daughter), selling the house up north, finding and buying one down here, and of course, all of the paperwork and red tape that goes along with moving, buying and selling.

I would love to hear how you got along with the government items and also the loss of a credit rating when changing countries. That one is really hamstringing us right now as we try to furnish a new house.

Hopefully we will be more settled-in in a few weeks and we can start to check things out.

The only thing we have done that you have not is take the Austin duck tour. It is an informative bus tour around town followed by a quick tour around the lake in the amphibious bus. Some of the historical insights were quite entertaining. I had never heard about the "wars" between Austin and Houston.

Another place you may want to check out is Wimberley on FM12. We just drove through it on the way to San Marcos. Will definitely be back to check out the various small shops, cafes and other places.

By the way,my wife just spent last week back in Toronto. Wet, cold, miserable. She was lad to be back in sunny Austin.

Good Luck on settling in.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 AM

597 posts, read 1,317,441 times
My gf is 30 and been here less than a year if ya want to hang out let me know and maybe you guys can trade email addresses.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Ive been in tx more than 15 years and you have done more than me
I was thinking the same.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 AM

82 posts, read 295,861 times
Default (It's CdnNewbie---had to register again because my old email was lost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
We just moved down from Toronto 6 weeks ago and have not been able to do any of the things on your list.

Our time has been used up in school registrations (15 yr old daughter), selling the house up north, finding and buying one down here, and of course, all of the paperwork and red tape that goes along with moving, buying and selling.

I would love to hear how you got along with the government items and also the loss of a credit rating when changing countries. That one is really hamstringing us right now as we try to furnish a new house.

Hopefully we will be more settled-in in a few weeks and we can start to check things out.

The only thing we have done that you have not is take the Austin duck tour. It is an informative bus tour around town followed by a quick tour around the lake in the amphibious bus. Some of the historical insights were quite entertaining. I had never heard about the "wars" between Austin and Houston.

Another place you may want to check out is Wimberley on FM12. We just drove through it on the way to San Marcos. Will definitely be back to check out the various small shops, cafes and other places.

By the way,my wife just spent last week back in Toronto. Wet, cold, miserable. She was lad to be back in sunny Austin.

Good Luck on settling in.
We'll definitely check out Wimberly and the duck tour bus. How much was the tour? Is the amphibious bus included in the tour or separate?

How long did your family live in Toronto? How has it been adjusting to
Austin for you guys? What does your daughter think of the education system in Texas? I hope you have settled and unpacked. I remember that when we had moved from our last house, we had unpacked boxes stewing in the garage for 5 yrs.!

We've also spent ample of time furnishing our new home. If you're looking for good deals, you might want to try Big Lots. We bought our entertainment center, dining table and coffee table there and they were very good quality for what we paid for them.

I never had credit to begin with as I had not applied for credit in Toronto and lived solely on my debit a/c. But now, I realize how utterly foolish it was not to apply for one so I'm just starting to build a credit history. What government items were you referring to? I'd like to help.

Thanks for replying!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:30 AM

Default Are you able to view my email address? I thought I set it for public viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
My gf is 30 and been here less than a year if ya want to hang out let me know and maybe you guys can trade email addresses.
Does your gf have msn/facebook/myspace? That would be nice. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I was thinking the same.
Isn't that the funny thing though? You never seem to know your own city as well as the tourists or newbies. lol. I was just telling my husband that same thing when we left Toronto because there were so many things that we haven't even done. We haven't even gone up the revolving restaurant in the CN Tower, ridden on the ferry that goes right next to Niagara Falls, or enjoyed the really fun festivals there like Caribana and the Festival of Lights.

Can't wait to explore this city...

Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies! My bestfriend is coming to visit me in about a month. Maybe I can convince her to move here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin