Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,270 times

Advertisements

When I told my in-laws, friends, family, acquaintances I was moving to TX. I got the following responses:

My in-laws said that they heard it was racist and my MIL had the nerve to tell me to go to a restaurant to see if I would be served. I could go on with the craziness that they said but I'm sure you get my drift. None of my in-laws had anything positive to say.

My acquaintances, former co-workers and such acted like I said a bad word.

My best friend was excited for me. My other friends thought I was crazy for selling our house because CA real estate only goes up and once you leave you can't buy back in.

After being here nearly two years I'm so glad I made the change and didn't listen to the naysayers.

Does anyone else want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,374,728 times
My sister is the only one who is giving me a hard time about moving, but I think she is starting to come around. Everyone else in my family and circle of friends know how much I love Austin and didn't even try to talk me out of it. Actually, my next door neighbor is not keen about me selling my house either...she doesn't want me to move away. She said she is never going to have a neighbor like me again. I feel the same way about her and her husband, but I have to do what my heart and soul tells me to do and it's telling me to move to Austin!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM

80 posts, read 346,542 times
A few years ago before we relocated from Washington State, I was told by many Washingtonians that the best place to live in Texas is Austin! I've never lived anywhere else in Texas but we surely love it here!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 AM

31 posts, read 117,203 times
Cool thread. Reactions from our friends have all been positive and a couple that were fairly envious! One reaction was so positive that it would have been the same as if I said "Honolulu" or "Lake Tahoe". We're originally from Texas so obviously our family members were excited. Most of the responses have included these phrases: “Austin City Limits”, “Hip Town”, “UT – Hook’m horns”, “Willie Nelson”, “Outdoor music events”, “Austin is so clean”, and my favorite “Well if I were moving to Texas, Austin would it and no place else”. Okay, we’re sold!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
My in-laws said that they heard it was racist and my MIL had the nerve to tell me to go to a restaurant to see if I would be served. I could go on with the craziness that they said but I'm sure you get my drift. None of my in-laws had anything positive to say.
Wow! Where do they live? Just curious as to where we have such a bad rap. Maybe we need to start that rumor more places .

Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,497 times
Everyone we told (which were very few) said "COOL PLACE" you will love it! they were right!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 AM

264 posts, read 1,094,640 times
- "Texas!!?? Why!? There are only tumble-weeds, dirt and cowboys there!!?" LOL
- "I was there one summer and jogged on the river walk. It was SO hot and humid I thought I was gonna faint!"
- "Austin is cool! You will like it. And they have the best food ever!"

Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 AM

746 posts, read 3,727,929 times
Per the Austin is the only place in TX i would consider living in thing, is it that austin is that great, or that the rest of texas is so awful? I mean, look at the competition....
El Paso, Lubbock, CC, the stinky, flat metroplex, the polluted, sprawling Houston...I mean, i think much of it is just that the competition is so awful....most state have numerous candidates for best place to live in state...even florida has a bunch...ft. myers, Sarasota, Key west, Tampa, Miami, Palm Beach, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and so on.......But relocatees seem to think that Austin is the only Texas city they'd be caught dead in....what would people say if you told them you were moving to Houston? Would you still get the back-patting COOL! WOW, GREAT MUSIC! stuff? Or eeewwwww, why would you wanna move there comments? Would a relocatee be ashamed to tell his world that he's moving to Dallas or even San Antonio? Are they only moving to Austin because its the only city that gets positive kudos from the national press, and therefore the only texas city palatable? And not even beautiful, even friendlier San Antonio is on their radar?? It just seems to me to be a horse blinders thing......."I don't know Texas....Austin is GOOD Texas..the rest is Scary, and I don't want to deal with it.....Just Austin". Can anyone here explain this?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,374,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Per the Austin is the only place in TX i would consider living in thing, is it that austin is that great, or that the rest of texas is so awful? I mean, look at the competition....
El Paso, Lubbock, CC, the stinky, flat metroplex, the polluted, sprawling Houston...I mean, i think much of it is just that the competition is so awful....most state have numerous candidates for best place to live in state...even florida has a bunch...ft. myers, Sarasota, Key west, Tampa, Miami, Palm Beach, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and so on.......But relocatees seem to think that Austin is the only Texas city they'd be caught dead in....what would people say if you told them you were moving to Houston? Would you still get the back-patting COOL! WOW, GREAT MUSIC! stuff? Or eeewwwww, why would you wanna move there comments? Would a relocatee be ashamed to tell his world that he's moving to Dallas or even San Antonio? Are they only moving to Austin because its the only city that gets positive kudos from the national press, and therefore the only texas city palatable? And not even beautiful, even friendlier San Antonio is on their radar?? It just seems to me to be a horse blinders thing......."I don't know Texas....Austin is GOOD Texas..the rest is Scary, and I don't want to deal with it.....Just Austin". Can anyone here explain this?
Can't explain it...But if I weren't moving to Austin, I would consider Fort Worth (2nd choice) and San Antonio (3rd choice). If I could take the cowboy charm of Fort Worth and combine it with the coolness of Austin...wow, that would be one great place to live. I'd be in Heaven!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 AM

20 posts, read 112,600 times
I am moving to Austin next month from Cali. Friends and family have made these comments:

I can't wait to visit. I hear Austin is so awesome.

Wow! Two lakes! Fun!

It is so beautiful there.

I am envious.

Most folks are really happy for us, because they know that Austin is the perfect culture for our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin