Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:31 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,459 times

Advertisements

"You can just put sheetrock over the asbestos, tape and float and then paint. Much cheaper than that $3/sq. ft. quote."

Yes, but now they know it's asbestos and would have to disclose it if they sell their house at some point down the line. That may deter some potential buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM

288 posts, read 811,879 times
There should be quite a bit of reliable info online regarding safely removing asbestos.

I had to do some in my last house. The key is to keep it wet. As long as the asbestos isn't handled in it's dry form where the dust can be breathed in, it can't hurt you.

I'd be on the ladder with my spray bottle, taping knife and respirator and save $2 a foot, but that's just me.

It should also be noted that the harmful effects of asbestos come from repeated exposure over a long period, doing one project and disposing of it properly wouldn't do it...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times
I have a 2 year old -- I can barely find time to load the dishwasher, much less spray and scrape some goopy crap off my ceiling that may or may not be dangerous.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Well, not to discount the worries and fears of others, but be careful what you test for, you'll probably find something expensive to cure. I'm sure you also have lead paint, radon, asbestos, mold spores and - what else are people afraid of nowadays? You probably have it all.

And you could most likely be 100% oblivious to all of this and suffer no consequences. Did the sellers appear to be sickly people? I wonder if there is any statictical correlation to illnesses/health and the age of homes people live in?

If we want to scare ourselves, we can find frightening info on just about anything, including cell phone use, bottled water, public doorknobs, off-gassing in new homes, toxic materials in old homes, the air in hotel rooms (and the bedspreads), the food in restaurants, the equipment at your gym, the pew in your church, and on and on to infinity.

I think each individual has to determine their level of tolerance or acceptance of these factors, then do some research to find out the true life results, and make appropriate decisions based on your level of confort or fear.

Steve

Old 11-01-2008, 06:46 PM

True Steve, but when you want to match your ceilings -- you don't want to contaminate your house if it's something easily avoided when getting rid of the popcorn. We didn't test for lead as all the original windows and doors have been replaced with the exception of one. Seems like most lead problems occur from the windows opening/closing and sending fine lead particles into the air.

We didn't consider Radon however. Maybe I should add that to my list?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 PM

So one quote was $3800. Getting another one tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 26,876 times
Even though asbestos was banned in the late 70s, contractors still used it into the early 80s. It was very common in sheet flooring (backing), floor tiles, joint compound, wall and ceiling texture (popcorn ceilings). Be sure to only used a State Licensed lab. Omni Environmental here in Austin, or do a search for 'asbestos testing austin'. Be sure to only use a lab rather than a consulting firm or remediation company if you are going to get it tested yourself.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
asbestos abatement austin tx - Google Maps

I have worked with ARC and can recommend them.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM

We had the abatement folks come in and take care of it. Sierra was the company name if anyone else needs them.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
My god, I have scraped so much popcorn off ceilings, I should be dead!

We don't live in California, thank god!(but it's getting closer)
Care needs to be taken, but pulling up VAT tiles or scraping popcorn ceiling in Texas is not required to be done by a licensed asbestos abatement company, unless it is a public building.

Asbestos Homeowner's Guide

The Asbestos Program of the Texas Department of State Health Service (DSHS), regulates the removal of asbestos from public buildings within the state. The two main sets of rules and regulations enforced by DSHS are the Texas Asbestos Health Protection Rules (TAHPR) and the Federal National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP). TAHPR applies to all buildings that are subject to public occupancy, or to which the general public has access, and to all persons disturbing, removing, encapsulating, or enclosing asbestos within public buildings for any purpose, including repair, renovation, dismantling, demolition, installations, or maintenance operations, or any other activity that may involve the disturbance or removal of asbestos-containing building material (ACBM) whether intentional or unintentional. NESHAP applies to the abatement of any friable ACBM or to the demolition of a facility. Private residences and apartment buildings with no more than four dwelling units are excluded from coverage by both rules. (Click here for more information: Exclusions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin