Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:49 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am actually making the opposite move-- from Austin to NYC. I have been in Austin for 16 years, and despite the city's seeming infatuation with itself...
LOL!

Quote:
2) If you are in to professional sports, you will be disappointed. There are none. NY is a sports city, with major and minor league teams in every sport. We have AAA baseball here and otherwise its all Texas Longhorns all the time.
3) You may find that cultural institutions are lacking. Just by comparison, but how many cities really compare to New York when it comes to culture.
8) The food. (I should have put this one first!) NYC is the arguable the best food city in the world. Austin is not. I hope you like Tex-Mex. I don't. Don't get me started on the buffets. Bleh.
True, but Houston and Dallas have all these for sure. Not as good as NYC, but then what is?
Dallas more so on pro sports and Houston more so on culture/arts and restaurants. It's certainly not like your options in Texas with these things should be judged by what's in Austin... that just makes the whole of the state look terrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Default leaving austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Why on earth did you leave NYC .

Many gay and Jewish people find this to be a very friendly city
As do I.. If you read my post I was noting the surrounding counties...

Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 AM

172 posts, read 410,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figureskater View Post
We are also considering relocation from NY to Austin. What exactly do you like more over there than in NY except weather?

1 - improvement in weather (IMO) over NY. I dislike anything under 70 ;-)
2 - outdoors lifestyle
3 - more for you money in terms of real estate
4 - job transfer for both me and my husband
5 - somewhat slower pace - right now I could work 24hrs a day and it wouldn't be enough
6 - my husband has family near by
7 - the lakes, boating

That's all I can really think of, for now. My list probably should say that numbers 1, 2 & 3 are the weather!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
As do I.. If you read my post I was noting the surrounding counties...
Gotcha my bad!
But in that case which counties (how far away from Austin).

Old 12-15-2008, 09:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2Texas View Post
1 - improvement in weather (IMO) over NY. I dislike anything under 70 ;-)
2 - outdoors lifestyle
3 - more for you money in terms of real estate
4 - job transfer for both me and my husband
5 - somewhat slower pace - right now I could work 24hrs a day and it wouldn't be enough
6 - my husband has family near by
7 - the lakes, boating

That's all I can really think of, for now. My list probably should say that numbers 1, 2 & 3 are the weather!
What are you waiting for?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Default Williamson County

Quote:
Gotcha my bad!
But in that case which counties (how far away from Austin).
Have you been to Williamson County? A little too much "Have a Blessed Day," and "I'll Pray for you" going on there for my taste.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 AM

172 posts, read 410,281 times
Quote:
What are you waiting for?
Just dotting the i's and crossing the t's - trying to sell our house and getting a good start date at my job. I can't wait - I hope everything works out!

Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
5) If you go 2 miles outside the city limits you're in Christian mega-church land. It's very..ummm... conservative. This may be no problem for some, but, myself, as a gay Jew, I am not comfortable in surrounding counties.
I'm guessing you haven't gone much further than 2 miles outside the city limits very often, because this is not accurate. Now, granted, everybody's not just like you, but pretty much live and let live.

I say this having lived in Dallas, Arlington, Central Texas, several parts of Austin, East Texas, and currently living outside of a town of about 1500 about 40 miles from Austin and having friends that are not only Christian (precious few, even if I did grow up a preacher's kid), but Jewish, Wiccan, atheist, Buddhist, the entire gammut. If YOU don't make an issue of it, most often, with the exception of the occasional jerk (and the rest of us suffer from them as well), no one else will.

But you'd clearly be MUCH happier in NYC, and I've heard really good things about it (along with its own problems). Bon voyage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin