Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasndood View Post
Sorry to be nit picky but I highly doubt any one is using an assault rifle in the neighborhood.
Considering that you don't live here, and have likely never visited Bastrop, you may want to reconsider that remark.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:56 AM

36 posts, read 60,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Considering that you don't live here, and have likely never visited Bastrop, you may want to reconsider that remark.
That is true, but I know the definition of an assault rifle, and again I highly doubt anyone in the area is discharging one. Maybe they're firing off rounds from an AR-15 but not from a select fire M4.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
That is true, but I know the definition of an assault rifle, and again I highly doubt anyone in the area is discharging one. Maybe they're firing off rounds from an AR-15 but not from a select fire M4.
Again. You do not live here, you have not visited not even been to Bastrop.

There is probably a 50/50 shot that said neighbor is using a tripod-mounted 50 cal to cut down brush.

I know a minimum of 15 folks personally that have legitimate assault weapons in their personal battery.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Again. You do not live here, you have not visited not even been to Bastrop.

There is probably a 50/50 shot that said neighbor is using a tripod-mounted 50 cal to cut down brush.

I know a minimum of 15 folks personally that have legitimate assault weapons in their personal battery.
Why would anyone use a .50 cal to cut down brush? Do you how much .50 cal costs per round? It's like shooting $5 bills down range. So yeah I have a hard time believing anyone is shooting 50s to cut brush. In Bastrop or Ramadi.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Why would anyone use a .50 cal to cut down brush? Do you how much .50 cal costs per round? It's like shooting $5 bills down range. So yeah I have a hard time believing anyone is shooting 50s to cut brush. In Bastrop or Ramadi.
It was hyperbole. The point is this:

There are tons of legitimate assault weapons in Texas, particularly in the more rural areas. You wouldn't realize that because you don't live here.

I do know some guys out in Midland that have cut down cacti with their 50 though. But that's just "hold my beer and watch this" engineering.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It was hyperbole. The point is this:

There are tons of legitimate assault weapons in Texas, particularly in the more rural areas. You wouldn't realize that because you don't live here.

I do know some guys out in Midland that have cut down cacti with their 50 though. But that's just "hold my beer and watch this" engineering.
Doesn't sound like hyperbole, it sounds like you were giving a 50% chance that the neighbor was using a tri-pod mounted .50 Cal to cut brush. You know that most .50 cals are bolt-operated rifles right? You must also know that a .50 that is mounted on a tri-pod would probably be an M2? I guess because I don't live there, as you like to point out, I must lack the intelligence and knowledge to correct an error?

A true assault weapon would be registered as a Class III weapon (federally registered), so I highly doubt the owners of said weapons would get their drink on and then start firing irresponsibly.

BTW a bolt operated .50 cal is not an assault weapon simply because it looks evil and/or dangerous.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Doesn't sound like hyperbole, it sounds like you were giving a 50% chance that the neighbor was using a tri-pod mounted .50 Cal to cut brush. You know that most .50 cals are bolt-operated rifles right? You must also know that a .50 that is mounted on a tri-pod would probably be an M2? I guess because I don't live there, as you like to point out, I must lack the intelligence and knowledge to correct an error?

A true assault weapon would be registered as a Class III weapon (federally registered), so I highly doubt the owners of said weapons would get their drink on and then start firing irresponsibly.

BTW a bolt operated .50 cal is not an assault weapon simply because it looks evil and/or dangerous.
This is so stupid.

My comment "there's a 50/50 shot" was total hyperbole.

While you may have some intelligence, work on your vocabulary. Hyperbole is defined as:

exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Got it?

My point overall was do not totally dismiss the chance that a redneck out in the boonies of Bastrop would:

A. Possess a class III weapon, registered or not.
B. Fire said weapon, smart or not.

Since you have never been there, you would not understand the potential for this to be a legitimate occurrence. For ****s sake. A year ago a guy with over 100 weapons, including a tripod mounted M2, unloaded two weapons on a dog in a subdivision in Cedar Park - federal weapons permit and all.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Since you have never been there, you would not understand the potential for this to be a legitimate occurrence. For ****s sake. A year ago a guy with over 100 weapons, including a tripod mounted M2, unloaded two weapons on a dog in a subdivision in Cedar Park - federal weapons permit and all.
I'd like to see a link if you have one.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see a link if you have one.
There's 100 more behind this one.

Man accused of shooting dog in Cedar Park

Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
There's 100 more behind this one.

Man accused of shooting dog in Cedar Park
Yeah I saw this story. A handgun was used not an evil assault weapon. If I recall the charges against him were dropped.

Where's the .50?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin