Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 PM

174 posts, read 501,732 times

Advertisements

I have lived in every part of town in Austin,Tx and know the city from top to bottom I can tell you it has a serious drug problem.Cocaine,Heroin,Pot you name it.
The City seems to completely ignore this and I wonder if the local news seems to sweep this under the rug.I know the Dj's from KLBJ are always making fun of people. Nigel on klbj always has some joker on the show doing drugs and asking his son to bring him tequila shots.I remeber listening to the radio and hearing the Dj talk about Scott Wieland of STP having to skip Austin,Tx on the tour date,might have something to do with Scott's addiction to Heroin and trying to overcome his addiction.Also the Guitarist Chris Duarte who used to be a local Austin Musician now lives in Atlanta where I'm told SRV went to for rehab.Which brings me to my next question are the bands in Austin really Musicians or just drug addicts disguised as ones?

Last edited by thedude72; 01-08-2009 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I don't know what the problem is with Austin but I suspected drug problems. The people are down right eerie especially around the college campuses.

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-08-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
I have lived in every part of town in Austin,Tx and know the city from top to bottom I can tell you it has a serious drug problem.Cocaine,Heroin,Pot you name it.
The City seems to completely ignore this and I wonder if the local news seems to sweep this under the rug.I know the Dj's from KLBJ are always making fun of people. Nigel on klbj always has some joker on the show doing drugs and asking his son to bring him tequila shots.I remeber listening to the radio and hearing the Dj talk about Scott Wieland of STP having to skip Austin,Tx on the tour date,might have something to do with Scott's addiction to Heroin and trying to overcome his addiction.Also the Guitarist Chris Duarte who used to be a local Austin Musician now lives in Atlanta where I'm told SRV went to for rehab.Which brings me to my next question are the bands in Austin really Musicians or just drug addicts disguised as ones?

First, name all the parts of Austin that you've lived in, please. I'd like to compare, since I've lived in a lot of them and this hasn't been an issue in the parts that I've lived in (nor have most of the other issues that you've brought up in your quest to denigrate the city at every turn), so I'd like to find out which Austin you're living in that I'm missing.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM

well I can say I 've lived all over Austin,Tx
Far West and Capitol of Texas arbor area/ nice except the noisy train and the apartment complex's with paper walls.
Wood Hollow behind there Cat Hollow and capitol of Texas,watch out for those sheets of Ice in the winter especially on those hills.
Round Rock
Sunset valley
South Lamar
North 183
Braker Ln
Spicewood springs
West lake
Bee Caves
Oh ! almost forgot South Congress were you can see the prostitute walking up and down the street at night jut before it hits 290.
On the border of travis and hays county Dripping Springs /Oak Hill. Some of these places aren't really Austin there just kind of part of the city but not really Austin. Makes you wonder why they have the same 512 area code ?I think that pretty much covers it except east of I-35 where the drug dealers and thugs appear to be.
Leandor/ cedar park not really part of Austin to far north.
I was out near Lake Line mall but the traffic and the toll roads there,including Round Rock toll road ..I hear there trying to put another toll road and On I-35. I thought they couldn't do that since its a state hwy.I guess the'll figure some loop hole to put more money in there pockets.

Last edited by thedude72; 01-08-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM

35 posts, read 144,480 times
Newsflash:

Every major US city has a drug problem.

Get used to it.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Aren't those cities the ones that admit they have one,and also address it as a problem and not a city wide daily recreation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by je2000 View Post
Newsflash:

Every major US city has a drug problem.

Get used to it.

Last edited by thedude72; 01-09-2009 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM

35 posts, read 144,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
Aren't those cities the ones that admit they have one,and also address it as a problem and not a daily recreation.
Not sure if I get you.

I just know that any time you get a large group of the general public together, a certain percentage are going to have a drug problem. As well as an alcohol problem.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
of course this town has a drug problem. Why do you think it takes ppl 25 minutes to make an effing burrito at the local Taco Cabana? I don't think it's a serious drug problem, but it tries my patience sometimes. You want serious drug problems? go to Baltimore or Detroit.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM

I just think it's astonishing how many people in the city of Austin use drugs.It doesn't matter what part of the city your in or what time of night and day.That's part of the problem as well people are always taking up unbelievable amounts of time to perform simple tasks.I wonder what would happen to the city if Austin's workforce started enforcing random Drug tests in business's? I think the unemployment rate might see a noticeable increase.I hear you on the burrito.. why am I having to wait so long in a line, and why does the person feel like he's the only one that's important ?Especially at a gas station or convince store. I've never seen people feel like it's there own personal time with the attendant.You came to the store buy something so do that and leave, help the next person in line by doing so not "oh hows was your day ???"Holding up the line forever.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times
Here's what you can do about it. If you see a specific instance of drug abuse, pick up your phone, call APD and talk to your district rep. Get your neighbors to do the same. APD is responsive. But 1) APD has limited resources and 2) it takes time to coordinate the appropriate city agencies. Finally, societal issues can't always be resolved. Instead, specific instances are resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin